Praziquantel Tablets + Copper Power

argcargv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'm currently running a course of QT on a new batch of fish. I've kicked off my Copper Power treatment, which is now in its 8th day of being therapeutic @ 2.25 ppm. I performed a freshwater dip on my Regal Angelfish and have also confirmed the presence of flukes. I suspected that flukes had been present due to one of its eyes starting to go cloudy. I wasn't wrong and it was literally infested.

I'm from Australia, so our access to all the recommended good medications is rather limited. I've previously (on another batch of fish that I've QT'd) used this [0] product for treating Flukes, but I'm not sure what the stance is when it comes to using this tablet form of Praziquantel with Copper Power concurrently.

I've crawled through existing Prazi/Copper related threads on R2R, but most, if not all had referenced Prazipro specifically, which to my knowledge is in a different state to its tablet/powder form. That being said, is it OK to mix both Copper Power and Praziquantel tablets?

My plan is to run a 14 day Copper Power treatment and then transfer the fish across to a new sterile observation systems. Given how bad the infestation actually was, I'm worried that waiting out the 6 extra days might have detrimental effects on the fish.

[0] https://www.petstock.com.au/product/fish/bp-fluke-tapeworm-tabs-25pk/52351

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'm currently running a course of QT on a new batch of fish. I've kicked off my Copper Power treatment, which is now in its 8th day of being therapeutic @ 2.25 ppm. I performed a freshwater dip on my Regal Angelfish and have also confirmed the presence of flukes. I suspected that flukes had been present due to one of its eyes starting to go cloudy. I wasn't wrong and it was literally infested.

I'm from Australia, so our access to all the recommended good medications is rather limited. I've previously (on another batch of fish that I've QT'd) used this [0] product for treating Flukes, but I'm not sure what the stance is when it comes to using this tablet form of Praziquantel with Copper Power concurrently.

I've crawled through existing Prazi/Copper related threads on R2R, but most, if not all had referenced Prazipro specifically, which to my knowledge is in a different state to its tablet/powder form. That being said, is it OK to mix both Copper Power and Praziquantel tablets?

My plan is to run a 14 day Copper Power treatment and then transfer the fish across to a new sterile observation systems. Given how bad the infestation actually was, I'm worried that waiting out the 6 extra days might have detrimental effects on the fish.

Hi, I don't have much experience running copper and prazi at the same time, so I generally don't recommend it...I always dose them sequentially. It may be fine to combine them, I just can't confirm it for you.

Do the fish have any signs of active protozoan disease (ich or velvet)? If not, then I would try a blended treatment - back to copper down to 1.50 with a water change. Dose prazi as per label instructions, then bring the copper back up to 2.25 for another 14 days.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

Oh - and be sure to add good aeration to the tank during the prazi treatment, stop carbon filtration and turn off UV and stop collecting skimmate from the skimmer (if you have one).

Jay

OP
OP
A

argcargv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I don't have much experience running copper and prazi at the same time, so I generally don't recommend it...I always dose them sequentially. It may be fine to combine them, I just can't confirm it for you.

Do the fish have any signs of active protozoan disease (ich or velvet)? If not, then I would try a blended treatment - back to copper down to 1.50 with a water change. Dose prazi as per label instructions, then bring the copper back up to 2.25 for another 14 days.

Jay
Thanks for getting back to me on this!

In terms of active protozoans, I believe that they did, which I diagnosed at the time as being Ich. It has been 8 days a therapeutic Copper Power levels and I haven't seen anything new (i.e. new physical Ich like symptoms) on the fish since. The twitching, scratching and erratic swimming movements along with the cloudy eyes on the Regal Angelfish is what led me to believe that there was also Flukes present.

Anyway, I dosed the tablet form of Praziquantel as per instructions this morning and there's no issues that I can see as of yet. I'm aerating the QT as much as possible to alleviate any oxygen depletion issues that naturally comes with the use of medicines.

I'm concerned about my Regal Angel at this point though. Both eyes appear to be cloudy and it has since stopped eating, presumably because it can't see properly? I'm thinking about transferring it into another sterile QT and taking care of the cloudy eye situation with Kanaplex, but quite honestly I'm not sure what the best course of action is at this point.

OP
OP
A

argcargv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - and be sure to add good aeration to the tank during the prazi treatment, stop carbon filtration and turn off UV and stop collecting skimmate from the skimmer (if you have one).

Jay
That's definitely one thing that I make sure that I have during my QT process, plenty of aeration. Thanks for the extra pointers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back