Prices in this hobby

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is disgusting....truly.
Ok, why don’t you get a frag tank and all of the equipment for it. Buy all the cheap frags you want, spend the next 2-4 years growing them out into colonies and sell them for as cheap as you want. That’ll either solve your coral price problem, or give you some perspective into why a majority of them cost what they do.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worry about the price of a hobby, then it's not a hobby. It's a bill tacked onto the price of living and you'll never truly enjoy it.

I have 5 other hobbies beside aquarium keeping (3 tanks not including QT) and I've learned that if I worry alot about the prices of those hobbies then I don't truly enjoy it. Just in the past couple weeks I've blown too much money on one of my hobbies by itself. You just have to learn to budget and save not only for living expenses, but for things you want for your hobbies.

You may not have the money for something you truly want for your hobby, but you will someday even if it's not today.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general this hobby isnt the cheapest one out there but certainly not the most expensive. My entire setup although not a mega tank but has nice equipment costs the same as a new 1Dx mark III camera body. Or cars where you can drop 30 to 50k into a motor.

In general I've found you're never fully satisfied with what you've got in this hobby. I'm learning to just keep what I have and keep it until it fails (or dies which sps love to do in my tank!).

U

User1

View Badges
Is disgusting....truly.

Fire starter :)

It depends. I shoot for 15 - 17 dollar per frag range which factors in shipping. Sometimes I will splurge and pay around 40 if I want to support the business. I do not have any boutique corals in my tank so it isn't expensive for me. However, i will say that when you look at the tank as a whole it isn't uncommon to spend as much as a kitchen remodel. You need to know this going in because we are talking about water. Saltwater. And if done incorrectly or with short cuts - the wrong ones - it can cause serious damage to both living quarters and personal.

Prices in other hobbies are no different. Scuba diving - check. HPDE? Have to be able to walk away from the car and in my case that was 55k. I've seen others walking from North of 150k and as low as 10k (older miata). Just depends on what you want to do and how practical you are.

If you are upset because you are not able to, or choose not to, play in the boutique space. Don't be. Plenty others to choose from. To put this into perspective one night after a really good filet dinner I looked back at the table and saw the wine bottle. I chuckled and said to my better half - well, there goes my Gem Tang...

One last thing. There are really some good people in this hobby that share frags. It can be a self sustaining hobby between hobbyists because we cut, trim, and rehome. Clubs, meet and greets, all work. If you are not as outgoing say or a bit more recluse (as my wife calls me) then no, you probably won't see as much. But it happens.

We have all been there. Two in college. Tank upgrade. I wanted to use TBS rock. I couldn't make it work so I went with dry pukani. Worst decision I made with the tank but here I am two years later and saying while I don't like it - it worked in the end.

Enjoy the hobby. It is what you make of it. Best of luck to you.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shipping went up.
building rent/taxes go up.
employee wages go up.
cost of living (food, utilities, home ownership, transportation) goes up.
but you want coral prices to remain the same as they was years ago.
:rolleyes:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worry about the price of a hobby, then it's not a hobby. It's a bill tacked onto the price of living and you'll never truly enjoy it.

I have 5 other hobbies beside aquarium keeping (3 tanks not including QT) and I've learned that if I worry alot about the prices of those hobbies then I don't truly enjoy it. Just in the past couple weeks I've blown too much money on one of my hobbies by itself. You just have to learn to budget and save not only for living expenses, but for things you want for your hobbies.

You may not have the money for something you truly want for your hobby, but you will someday even if it's not today.
Hobby exclusive Credit Card.
:cool:

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals are still the same. Its the same corals 5 years ago and its still the same corals 10 years ago. What you’re paying is the crazy name and who has the best photographer. You can pick up a GSP from lfs/hobbiest for $5 or pay $50 for a “ultra rainbow kryptonite green star polyps”.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess since I just got in the hobby its beneficial cause I cant compare prices of what it used to be compared to now. All I know is todays prices so it is what it is.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of very good perspectives on here. I wanted to add one more peice to my earlier response. I dont disagree that prices can and should increase. I also don't disagree that rare colors or types shouldnt bring higher dollar. But...
Where should the line be drawn? We have made huge advancements in the captive care and culture of live coral in the last decade. It is easier now (IMO) to grow on a larger scale. We have a much better understanding of the care and specific requirements of coral.
Does charging $300 for a 1 inch or less fresh cut, non encrusted frag really need to be a thing? There was a post a page back or so about a coral for around $350 by today's standards, that was a mini colony, and arguably worth the price. But I've seen people pay the same for an sps frag that maybe had 20 polyps on the tiny little stick...

My only point being where is the line between supply and demand and taking advantage?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I live where there is no reefing club, frag swaps, etc. Two LFS with no coral. I have to have everything shipped in so if I want it I have to pay the prices.

If you live in an area with enough people to support two local fish stores it sounds like you need to start a reefing club. Could take some pictures of your coral and make a craigslist post. could also talk to some other customers at the LFS in person.

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I can tell you is that every hobby has a cheap way to do things... for example, a racing Porsche that goes from 0-60 in 3.5 secs will cost you around $200k. To get that car from 0-60 in 3 secs (.5 secs less) will cost you probably twice that car. Is it worth it? I don't think that there is a right answer. I recently joined an Mtb club and there are people with $15k bikes. An fvp drone will cost you up to $2-3k. It just depends on what makes you happy and how comfortable you feel spending money on the things that you like.

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, why don’t you get a frag tank and all of the equipment for it. Buy all the cheap frags you want, spend the next 2-4 years growing them out into colonies and sell them for as cheap as you want. That’ll either solve your coral price problem, or give you some perspective into why a majority of them cost what they do.
I know you have some snark in here but this does seem like solid advice. OP needs to be the change he wants to see.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I live where there is no reefing club, frag swaps, etc. Two LFS with no coral. I have to have everything shipped in so if I want it I have to pay the prices.
There is an active club in Ft Myers/Cape Coral which is not too far from Naples.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in and presently out of the hobby many times going back to the mid 80's. Fish only, which made things cheaper from an equipment stand point, especially lighting. There were was no internet shopping and only one good fish store in Minneapolis, MN. I had really nice fish and I don't recall any of them being outrageously expensive, but it was 35 years ago. My most recent experience cost me about $9000 for a 100 g setup with modest lights and no controller. I am a diyer so I built my own stand, sump, ect. At one point I even built my own tanks. I shopped for deals on corals, both locally and online but never paid for any big names. There have been many threads about the cost to get into the hobby and personally I don't think $100 per gallon is unusual. The ongoing cost is not bad if you buy the necessities in quantity and onsale and avoid the latest hype about need this additive or this gizmo to grow nice coral.

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been wanting to make this post for years. Do you see how many LFS come and go? either they go bust from asking too much or go bust from lack of sales. I bought 5 orange yuma's in my day for 15 dollars.

This was back in 2002. Now its anywhere from 25-35 a piece and pending on color. DISGUSTING.

LOL come on man... 2002 was 18 years ago and you're still comparing prices to now?? That is ridiculous.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all corals are expensive. If it costs a lot, it's probably rare, and looks really cool. You can fill your tank with xenia, and palys for the cost of gas to your local reefers house. heck I have had LFS's give me odd palys, or GSP in the past. but those are not very interesting in modern times. People want the cool stuff, just like people want Lamborghinis over Honda Accords the vast majority of the time.
Rare coral or named coral? A named coral doubles, triples, or buyer beware the price regardless of rarity.

That said... mushrooms used to be dirt cheap but through less harvesting and demand the price has risen. Makes perfect sense. "hot" corals getting a bump up also makes sense.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back