Python Water Changing System

mrpocketpreacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering buying the python to do water changes. My only concern is sucking salt water down the drain. I’m renting my house and don’t want to damage my land lord’s property. Has any one had any issues with plumbing after using this? Also, for those of you who do use it, what are your experiences with it? Is it worth it or is it a waste of time and money?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Saltwater is fine down the drain so far (2 years). Loved the idea of the Python and bought one with a few accessories - but to be perfectly honest, I don't use the suction device to draw out water because my faucets don't connect without taking off screen (which is a pain to me). So I ended up just using the hose and valve to control on/off. Don't really use the tube much anymore either as the suction isn't enough to draw up algae. I just stir sand bed now a days and turkey baster blast while using the hose to draw out the now floating debris.

Edit - I do use the tube on my planted FW tank. It does a great job of getting the detritus out of a gravel bed there.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nope. Saltwater is fine down the drain so far (2 years). Love the idea of the Python - but to be perfectly honest, I don't use the suction device to draw out water because my faucets don't connect without taking off screen (which is a pain to me). So I ended up just using the hose and valve to control on/off. Don't really use the tube much anymore either as the suction isn't enough to draw up algae. I just stir now a days and turkey baster blast.
I route my water outside and python great for draining but not filling unless you have a brute can of seawater and pump has a hose fitting which you can then send water to the tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the 10’ hose, hook and a Sicce Ultra Zero utility pump. Drop the pump into a bucket of RO to top up the reservoir, drop the pump into the sump to quickly empty out enough for a water change and then drop it back into another saltwater bucket to replenish.

Literally takes just minutes if you’re setup and organized - probably less time than unrolling and snaking 50-75 feet of hose across your floor. And the standard Python setup only works to drain the tank, so you’re still stuck with a method to replenish the saltwater anyway.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I route my water outside and python great for draining but not filling unless you have a brute can of seawater and pump has a hose fitting which you can then send water to the tank
Good option, but I live right next to a city pond with a down slope all around. I'm wary of tank water dumping into public water (and even more so my wife's flowers)...even more concerned when I do my freshwater changes. Not hard to imagine the pond covered in duckweed.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have years of experience using a python and it is a great tool for water changes. If you are worried about sand or large clumps of algae going down the drain put a strainer under the python in the sink to catch that stuff before it goes down the drain. On saltwater tanks the only slight difference is connecting to a pump for a refill with saltwater. I would not be concerned with saltwater going down the drain for a city sewer system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good option, but I live right next to a city pond with a down slope all around. I'm wary of tank water dumping into public water (and even more so my wife's flowers)...even more concerned when I do my freshwater changes. Not hard to imagine the pond covered in duckweed.
It will dilute in the pond water

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a python. I start a syphon into a brute (so I can see how much I take out). I have the same size can of fresh saltwater. I use a pump, with a little fishes valve to the end of the python and pump the water into the tank. I have another pump in the waste water which I hook the hose too and pump it into the sink.

I'll be setting up a better water change system in garage so we'll see! Want to try auto changes. Into a brute and then I'll pump out as there is no sink in garage

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back