QT questions

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two clowns in QT right now. I did not use copper on them but they have been in QT for 30 days.

If I add more fish, does the day counter 'reset' for the clowns? With the new fish, I plan to do copper power. So basically, all fish will go through copper, just at different points within QT.

Additional questions-
I currently have some live rock in my QT, I plan to remove it. The sponge filter has been cleaned weekly with old tank water so I assume it as bacteria. If I remove the rock, will I harm the current fish?

What's the best way to remove copper power? I read carbon, and poly filters. Just wondering the best method. I read the copper qt megathread, but there's just so much info in there.

Whats the best way to calculate and reduce salinity? Currently my QT is at 35ppm but incoming salinity will be around 1.018 which is much lower. I plan to lower it slowly, but how much water volume do I need to change out of my tank to reach the desired salinity? note, tank is 20g w HOB filter.

Thanks!!

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-If you add fish with your clownfish, the QT cycle will need to be reset.
-Copper Power can be deadly to some fish. Make sure you're checking if Copper Power is safe for it. I recommend Cupramine for treatment.
-Liverock is not usually used in QT tanks. Copper is absorbed into the rock and can be leached out for months. Removing such a large source of biological media can result in parameter swings. If it's already in there, I'd just keep it in there until your copper treatment is complete, then seperately treat the rock for copper removal.
-Best way to remove copper is Cuprisorb.
-To reduce salinity, remove a few cups of water throughout the day and replace it with RODI water. I wouldn't go more than 0.001SG a day. Because you will be removing it daily, it's difficult to give an amount of expected volume change due to the salinity constantly changing. I'm guessing 25-35% overall change to reduce it to that point.

Hope this helps! If you have some time, search for Humble Fish's guide to setting up and treating a QT.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the opposite, CopperPower as it much easier on the fish than ionic copper. Get a Hanna Cu tester.
Check the stickies. Look at HotRocks post.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
-If you add fish with your clownfish, the QT cycle will need to be reset.
-Copper Power can be deadly to some fish. Make sure you're checking if Copper Power is safe for it. I recommend Cupramine for treatment.
-Liverock is not usually used in QT tanks. Copper is absorbed into the rock and can be leached out for months. Removing such a large source of biological media can result in parameter swings. If it's already in there, I'd just keep it in there until your copper treatment is complete, then seperately treat the rock for copper removal.
-Best way to remove copper is Cuprisorb.
-To reduce salinity, remove a few cups of water throughout the day and replace it with RODI water. I wouldn't go more than 0.001SG a day. Because you will be removing it daily, it's difficult to give an amount of expected volume change due to the salinity constantly changing. I'm guessing 25-35% overall change to reduce it to that point.

Hope this helps! If you have some time, search for Humble Fish's guide to setting up and treating a QT.

Just the opposite, CopperPower as it much easier on the fish than ionic copper. Get a Hanna Cu tester.
Check the stickies. Look at HotRocks post.

Thanks, both! After reading it does sound like CP is much safer than Cupramine.

The current tank does not have copper in it, so I could remove the LR now. I'm just wondering if it'll harm the fish.

After some reading, it sounds like poly pads, carbon, and water changes remove copper. Should I also do Cuprsorb??

Thanks on the salinity

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back