Questions about Ich and fallowing a tank

Mwag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has recently come down with ich and I decided to fallow my tank for a couple months (8 weeks or longer). I am gonna pull my fish on Tuesday when I actually get a new quarantine tank. I quarentined my fire fish but not my clownfish pair because lfs said they were newly quarantined already.

Question 1: I noticed the ich on Thursday and am unable to get new QT tank until Tuesday. Will my fish make it till then? They are eating normally.

Question 2: My two clownfish (Bicinctus) are doing this thing where they lay down on the sand and just sit there until I walk up to the tank and then they come greet me. What does this mean?

Question 3: Can I add Corals to DT during the fallow period?

Question 4: What medications do you recommend I use? I was thinking Cumpramine.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has recently come down with ich and I decided to fallow my tank for a couple months (8 weeks or longer). I am gonna pull my fish on Tuesday when I actually get a new quarantine tank.

Question 1: I noticed the ich on Thursday and am unable to get new QT tank until Tuesday. Will my fish make it till then? They are eating normally.

Question 2: My two clownfish are doing this thing where they lay down on the sand and just sit there until I walk up to the tank and then they come greet me. What does this mean?

Question 3: Can I add Corals to DT during the fallow period?

Question 4: What medications do you recommend I use? I was thinking Cumpramine.

1. It's hard to tell, usually fish can manage it if proper conditions are maintained. Ensure you feed vitamin enriched food and provide stress free conditions. Maybe 5 min FW dip if you see a bad case of ich. Although do it once or twice max per fish as its stressful for them.

2. Disease might cause them to become lethargic, do you notice any other symptoms like heavy breathing, etc..

3. No you can't, corals might bring parasite with them, so adding new corals will set the clock to 0 and you have to start again

4. Copper or chloroquine phosphate are the most effective against ich, other medication might work but not as effective. Make sure you dont have fish that are sensitive to the above medications.

I advise you to run fallow for minimum of 76 days. As some strains of ich have been found to survive 72 days, so 76 days will ensure it has completed its life cycle.
Also if you can provide us a picture of the fish to make sure its ich.

You can check this topic to make sure your fish are not sensitive to the medications:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine works well (that's what I use). A lot of people prefer coppersafe because it's a little easier on the fish. Whichever you use, just make sure you have the correct test kit.

OP
OP
Mwag

Mwag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the clownfish breaths a little heavier.

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

Not the best picture but the best I could do

OP
OP
Mwag

Mwag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: My firefish and a clownfish has died before I could move them to the quarantine tank but successfully moved the other clown to the hospital tank and am treating with Cupramine. He is swimming around but also breathing rapidly and not eating as of this morning.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: My firefish and a clownfish has died before I could move them to the quarantine tank but successfully moved the other clown to the hospital tank and am treating with Cupramine. He is swimming around but also breathing rapidly and not eating as of this morning.

This can be normal. Give him a few days for the ich to finish dropping off of his body.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back