Questions about the Square Spot Anthias

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like someone who has experience with the Square Spot Anthias because I've been considering a few for my stocking list but I want to hear some feedback first. The tank in question will be 125 gallons and 72 inches long.
1601601121550.png

On LiveAquaria, the Squarespot Anthias is said to require 100 gallons so sure. However, it also makes mention that a group of Squarespots require a 180 gallon tank. Now, anthias tend to lose color when they're not kept in a group and Squarespots are apparently notorious for losing their brilliant coloration even then. My question is could two Squarespots, one male and one female, work as a sort of compromise? Will the male lose the coloration I'm really looking for? Or is my tank actually large enough to house maybe three of them? I would like someone experienced with these dazzling fish to give some insight if possible. I know these guys get pretty freaking big for anthias, too.

My alternatives for the Squarespots would be a Powder Blue Tang which I hear very mixed reports on just their tank size, much less on their actual aggression or a Snowflake Eel which might limit my CUC, may produce much more waste than a few anthias, and I'm afraid will eat my smaller fish even if they are considered safe by comparison.​

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio would be fine in a 125. Get the male first though, as they don't ship as well and a confident female could begin to bully it and usurp it's role as the male, causing its color to fade or even kill it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the square spot males to be extremely twitchy. Success will be, in part, a function of the other fish you have in the tank. I find bimacs much easier.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio would be fine in a 125. Get the male first though, as they don't ship as well and a confident female could begin to bully it and usurp it's role as the male, causing its color to fade or even kill it.
How dark should it be since I hear they need darkness or else they lose their brilliant coloration. Or could the tank be well lit with plenty of dark hiding places?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the square spot males to be extremely twitchy. Success will be, in part, a function of the other fish you have in the tank. I find bimacs much easier.
Out of my stocking list, I think the Yellow Tang, Sargassum Triggerfish, and Richmond's Wrasse are the most active members. I'm also thinking of a Yellowhead Jawfish, Royal Gramma, Pair of Banggais, a Starry Blenny, and a Longnose Hawkfish and I don't think those would cause any real issues.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two females for 8 months one is starting to transition into a male acting a little aggressive towards a few of my other fish

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two females for 8 months one is starting to transition into a male acting a little aggressive towards a few of my other fish
I hear they don't do well in pairs which is why I'm considering three at least.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One three inch colorful male. Two years old in a 90. Eats pellets, flakes mysis

Attachments

• 6A61F0A3-EEA4-473D-B1B7-7551BEB1062D.jpeg
    6A61F0A3-EEA4-473D-B1B7-7551BEB1062D.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 234

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back