Radion G5 Rant. $900?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What may be getting lost in all this is that, at least in my opinion, moving from a 'puck style' light to a 'panel style' light has at least the potential to significantly improve these lights, allowing: 1) people to run them lower in height off of the tank; 2) to run fewer fixtures and still have reasonably even lighting levels; 3) potentially to feel less of a need to have a hybrid type solution, supplementing their LEDs with T5s; and 4) ultimately to have more success because of the reduced likelihood of having a tank that is both overlit (frying corals right under the pucks) and underlit (insufficiently lighting corals a foot away). If the spread is as much better as the BRS par testing video suggests and if the abandonment of the puck does not result in poorer color blending, G5s seem likely to be significantly better than G4s. Since they're being sold at the same price (regardless of you opinion of that price), it seems like Ecotech is providing a better, possibly significant better, light for the same price. How is that a bad thing?

Matt

I don't think these benefits of panels are getting lost, they've just already been proven and provided by ReefBreeder and Orphek a few yrs ago to those that benefit the most from them (owners of large footprint systems).

If you're married to the Eco-Tech brand, you'll finally get to experience these benefits. But if your not, compelling budget and premium panels have existed for some time that are purpose built for larger footprints vs shoe-horned into a chassis that looks like it was meant for pucks.

That's why aquatic life will likely count on significant biz from G5 customers

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What may be getting lost in all this is that, at least in my opinion, moving from a 'puck style' light to a 'panel style' light has at least the potential to significantly improve these lights, allowing: 1) people to run them lower in height off of the tank; 2) to run fewer fixtures and still have reasonably even lighting levels; 3) potentially to feel less of a need to have a hybrid type solution, supplementing their LEDs with T5s; and 4) ultimately to have more success because of the reduced likelihood of having a tank that is both overlit (frying corals right under the pucks) and underlit (insufficiently lighting corals a foot away). If the spread is as much better as the BRS par testing video suggests and if the abandonment of the puck does not result in poorer color blending, G5s seem likely to be significantly better than G4s. Since they're being sold at the same price (regardless of you opinion of that price), it seems like Ecotech is providing a better, possibly significant better, light for the same price. How is that a bad thing?

Matt

The spread may be more but it's still coming from a narrow lighting panel so far as I can see it's not reducing shading much at all.
I think what a lot of people are suggesting is the G4 is over priced and the G5 also for what they are. Whether people agree or not that seems to be the opinion of many on here. Obviously some disagree but I think that is the answer even if you disagree. Many can't afford the price, won't pay the price or cant simply justify paying the price for them. Mostly a matter of personal choice.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cash right now to buy them but I never will. Why? I'm a kessil shimmer fanboiiiiiiiiiiiiii. I'd sell both kidneys for more shimmer. rofl.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this price point can’t one buy an Orphek, the design of which Ecotech seems to be headed towards?

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this won't be a popular response but I actually enjoy spending money on this hobby. I tend to buy expensive corals and equipment and I enjoy that aspect of it. I can understand if you have a family or budget where reefing is not a priority, but as a single guy who spends money on little else (besides bills) I like being able to buy the "best"stuff available. It's really no different than most other industries... The more something costs the more exclusive it seems, which increases it's perceived value. It's the same as the excitement some people get when getting a really great deal or saving alot of money on a build, except exactly the opposite!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all too real. I was checking the prices on G4 pro's on eBay to pick up some extra for my frag system and see all the photos of people selling theirs showing them installed on their tanks in the auction. They are rushing to sell their old and buy new; then you look at their tank and it's a pile of white rocks and auction reads (only installed for 1 year 2 days, etc). Like, you spend $2k on lights, have 3 corals in your tank (corals that would grow with a flashlight) and you're rushing to get the latest greatest. It's like when you see the sump display, a massive panel with perfect wiring 4 ft tall of controllers, dosers and perfect color coded plumbing all going to a 30G nano cube. These people put all their effort in making their sump so pretty but never seem to actually grow anything and then you see some tank of the month and their fish room looks like a meth lab because they are constantly using it and all their time is focused on the tank itself...sumps are generally dirty. The "clean sump" concept died 3 months into their coral journey.

Some people are just into all the equipment but never seem to muster up any will to buy corals. If you're not growing SPS, you don't need 4 radion G5's for your pile of rocks and 2 clown fish.

Sorry, had to add my rant. :)

Never before in this hobby have I seen a post that aligned SO perfectly with my overall sentiments on the hobby. This was like reading my own specific thoughts on everything you mentioned. You win the day sir

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully they had the nerve to spit on it before they screwed everyone with now offering a offering wifi app this time.

New array does look awfully good though. If I had the money or gumption to get the smaller light I would for a nano.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inb4 thread gets locked

EDIT: Why not reefbreeder photon v2s they are better bang for your buck!

The radions are probably built a good bit better construction wise with better binned diodes, but honestly at the end of the day. In don’t imagine the corals in the tank would really know the difference

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, it's crazy. The lights probably worth the money, but just for sheer sales, I can't imagine that it's optimal.

It will take me years to be able to save up for the 4 I'd want to put with a brand new tank and stand. Regardless, I will save up and eventually get all top of the time equipment when I upgrade.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ive just spent an hour reading all of this thread, can somebody point me the way to get my hour back?
I just think simply if you want them and can afford them buy them, if you don't want them then what are you complaining about? If you want them but cant afford them then save up for a year or 2 until G6 comes out then you will be able to afford the G5's.
Ecotechs market isn't the guy who is bothered about his livestock, its marketed for the must have the latest thing guys.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you accept that is all they are for

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I get it, the G5's aren't necessary to run a successful reef, but neither is a Trident and those are still hard to get nearly a year after release. But from watching the BRS Investigates video on them they are a game changer in eliminating hotspots and shadowing and even distribution of par in optimized spectrums. They are definitely an advancement and leading the technology in having compact LED perform near T5 standard. I doubt that they would show significant difference in a tank that is already running successfully without them but that shouldn't negate their value to someone looking for the solutions that they offer that no other LED in that compact size do. If starting a new tank or fixing lighting issues in a current tank, it could be worth the investment in the G5. If running a successful tank or feeling left out because you don't have the newest, I don't think it's worth upgrading (unless $ is zero issue).

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ive just spent an hour reading all of this thread, can somebody point me the way to get my hour back?
I just think simply if you want them and can afford them buy them, if you don't want them then what are you complaining about? If you want them but cant afford them then save up for a year or 2 until G6 comes out then you will be able to afford the G5's.
Ecotechs market isn't the guy who is bothered about his livestock, its marketed for the must have the latest thing guys.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you accept that is all they are for

Just because people are adding to the discussion and offering their thoughts (imagine that! Thoughts on an internet forum! How dare they!) doesn't mean they are complaining. You can have an opinion, just because if differs from yours doesn't mean it's complaining. I could care less about the cost of lights but I can understand those that do; I dropped $50,000+ on my tank...the last thing i'm going to do is cheap out on lights. I just get a kick out of the folks that upgrade lights like underwear but don't grow corals; they are funny to me so I like to have a little fun at their expense every now and then. :)

Most people that have been consistently growing SPS for over a year really don't care about the cost of lights because they probably figured out that you can grow corals with just about any light out there cheap or expensive.

Let's face it, you read this thread for an hour+ because the different opinions are interesting. You look at it as complaining, I look at it as seeing different viewpoints.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because people are adding to the discussion and offering their thoughts (imagine that! Thoughts on an internet forum! How dare they!) doesn't mean they are complaining. You can have an opinion, just because if differs from yours doesn't mean it's complaining. I could care less about the cost of lights but I can understand those that do; I dropped $50,000+ on my tank...the last thing i'm going to do is cheap out on lights. I just get a kick out of the folks that upgrade lights like underwear but don't grow corals; they are funny to me so I like to have a little fun at their expense every now and then. :)

Most people that have been consistently growing SPS for over a year really don't care about the cost of lights because they probably figured out that you can grow corals with just about any light out there cheap or expensive.

Let's face it, you read this thread for an hour+ because the different opinions are interesting. You look at it as complaining, I look at it as seeing different viewpoints.
Awwwww I see my post has upset you, if you weren't so far away I would give you a hug.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my post has upset you that much then just take a minute to absorb the situation and relax and enjoy the rest of your day.
Believe me it is far better to not get offended by other peoples posts than it is to look to be offended.
Have a nice day my friend
I don't ususally use smilies but just for you I will:)

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my post has upset you that much then just take a minute to absorb the situation and relax and enjoy the rest of your day.
Believe me it is far better to not get offended by other peoples posts than it is to look to be offended.
Have a nice day my friend
I don't ususally use smilies but just for you I will:)

I guess i'm struggling to figure out how you think your post upset me? I replied to it and offered my opinion, you seem to be taking it wrong? Can you just relax "mate"?

Is this a UK thing or am I missing something?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back