Radion settings and maxima clam?

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aquatic life hybrid fixture with 4 t5 bulbs (ati blue plus) and two radion G3 xr30s. It is the 4 foot fixture over a 130 gallon 5 ft tank. I dont have access to a par meter, and I dont live close to a lfs that rents them. I would rather not purchase one, so I wondered if any of you guys had experience with the radion settings and par needs. I have an lps tank, but I want to grow a clam on the sand bed if possible. I have acclimated my lps corals to a radion setting of 55% with the AB plus setting.( 100%all blues, and 24% for red green and white). Does anybody know if this should provide enough par for a maxima clam on the sand at 24 inches? Or do I need to move him up? Would a squamosa clam be ok in the sand? I have had trouble with my clams. They live for 6 months and then seem to die overnight. Not sure if it is related to lighting, or if I have a pest. I never find pyramid snails or any pest that can be seen. I will purchase a par meter if needed, but wanted to see if anybody had experience that could save me some money.

Thanks in advance,

David

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lps are lower light loving , I would avoid a maxima as it's the highest light loving clam.

Off hand I'd say no, that's not enough light for that clam.

How long do you run the light, and what is the peak time.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights turn on at 7am, run until 10pm peak at 10am. I love LPS coral, and love clams, probably a bad combination! I’m not sure how high I can turn the radion up without bleaching my lps. I have mainly goniopora and hammer euphilia in the area the clam lives, although I also have an Aussie elegance on the sand next to him. I have an area near the top that the clam could go. Maybe that would be my best option, I just love seeing him in the sand. Anybody know if I could get away with a squamosa at the bottom? I know they dont require as much light, but the blue ones are so expensive I dont want to spend the money if it is likely to die.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back