Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that inexpensive app called aquarium cam. When u use the auto filter feature it dramatically improves aquarium photos, especially when actinic is involved.

If the auto filter setting is not spot on there are a few white balance sliders and a few color sliders available. I have been so pleased with this app I will not even try an aquarium photo without it.

Lastly I’ve found that google photos color and brightness tools are way superior to the ios editing tools so I do any minor edits after the fact in google photos.
I use the free Photoshop app to color correct photos.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that inexpensive app called aquarium cam. When u use the auto filter feature it dramatically improves aquarium photos, especially when actinic is involved.

If the auto filter setting is not spot on there are a few white balance sliders and a few color sliders available. I have been so pleased with this app I will not even try an aquarium photo without it.

Lastly I’ve found that google photos color and brightness tools are way superior to the ios editing tools so I do any minor edits after the fact in google photos.
I’m using aquarium cam as well. My success seems to depend on where my lights are in their program. I am more than likely fiddling around too much with the settings individually ;) I guess practice will make passable in time lol

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my salt minded friends I’m riding high today! Shoutout to @norfolkgarden thanks so much for tip on Masstic it did the trick! Confirmed at least 4 chunks eaten by CBB. Go figure live clams nope fish frenzy nope cheaper alternative Masstic bingo we have a winner :) Still a ways out from being comfortable of long term success with the CBB but a positive step for sure.
Feeling so good about the feeding celebrated with a Symphyllia coral purchase. It’s going to be our show piece in tank. Dipping and acclimating as I type. It’s a beautiful peachy orange color that I have not seen a lot of in this neck of the woods.
Pic to come once I get it in display and settling in.
On the negative side didn’t get much cleaning done so tied up gettin CBB to eat didn’t want to tick em off digging in tank :oops:
I’m telling myself not lazy just practicing good husbandry getting him to eat right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**WARNING** mini phot dump

7BFAA432-C0D1-4A86-ADC6-37B0C92450AB.jpeg

320AF013-213C-4B15-A70C-4677DD1CF02A.jpeg

B55D7554-B3DF-4533-A115-A04C4219EDE3.jpeg

C1AD8A50-C247-4D28-A4A3-0326EE0BEE73.jpeg

90ECA054-E463-4A33-9602-8B61AA92EF8F.jpeg

6DCFC7D1-A8E0-4F45-A659-99419D0630FC.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked bad day at work.
Came home and have gotten all the rocks and fish in buckets. Taking fish and corals back to LFS been fooling myself that I can get this tank where I want it and have the knowledge to move forward.
I’m going to get a few betas to have some water critters around but no need for a thread on R2R for coupke of freshwater fish was fun while it lasted

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey hey what do you say. Got to talk tank with @Paul C. yesterday. Paul has been hooking me up with some awesome pods and iso as well as phyto that’s been part of my tank coming along so well. He has great stuff he’s growing that puts junk in stores to shame.
A big thanks to him for taking the ride down and visiting my tank to get me some extra pods. I wanted some to drop in display for the CBB and he came thru little bugger has a smorgasbord now lol.
Was awesome getting to show my tank and get to bounce ideas for the future with someone with his kinda experience. Very lucky to have met someone I can trust to deliver quality and who cares about the hobby and helpin folks out. And now my view from the couch :)

F0439401-0CEC-47A2-A4C4-382132230C15.jpeg

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words Ray. Always a pleasure to talk with a fellow reefer. I don't get that many chances to do it. The tank is starting to turn the corner for you. We will be hooking you up this weekend with some of the more pods, Iso and Nanno. The care package should get that pod population up for that little CBB. Chat soon my friend.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finnaly shined a light in display and was crazy packed with pods! I had checked sump and saw some couple weeks ago but it’s really taken off looks like snow. Next batch is for sons 32 bio cube. Time to help him get that tank up to speed :)

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one outside close family sees my tanks, that is why I try to take nice pics to share. ;)
Thanks btw. :)
As you said, watch it for flow, looks great.
Not for long... I'm going to get there this week. Now that my sump is online and dialed in, I can slow down the pace and relax.

Friday is the best day for me at this point. I planned a visit to my folks house in Granby, maybe we can work around that?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words Ray. Always a pleasure to talk with a fellow reefer. I don't get that many chances to do it. The tank is starting to turn the corner for you. We will be hooking you up this weekend with some of the more pods, Iso and Nanno. The care package should get that pod population up for that little CBB. Chat soon my friend.

My macrofuge will be ready in a month or so @Paul C. Sump is done. So maybe I'll give you a shout and we can try again. Hope all is well.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My macrofuge will be ready in a month or so @Paul C. Sump is done. So maybe I'll give you a shout and we can try again. Hope all is well.

Give me a shout when you are ready Rich. We got a few experiments going that will produce dense dark phyto's like I've never seen.

Ray, i'm glad you are finally seeing pods in your DT. Patience is the key. Told ya they were there. Lol

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Tuesday was a total non reefin day :( Left work early as the wife took a tumble broke a chip off her knee and did a number on her face hitting the sidewalk.... I told her she reminded me of Dave from Slap Shot Dave’s a KILLER no Dave’s a Mess!
She is lookin better to day but going to be quite a while to get back to normal.

One day of neglect and tank is still cooking well and we are back on track feeding CBB his Masstic. I’m torn on placing Masstic on rocks in one location ( to watch him eat for sure) or splitting it up so all fish don’t crowd one spot. Thoughts?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Tuesday was a total non reefin day :( Left work early as the wife took a tumble broke a chip off her knee and did a number on her face hitting the sidewalk.... I told her she reminded me of Dave from Slap Shot Dave’s a KILLER no Dave’s a Mess!
She is lookin better to day but going to be quite a while to get back to normal.

One day of neglect and tank is still cooking well and we are back on track feeding CBB his Masstic. I’m torn on placing Masstic on rocks in one location ( to watch him eat for sure) or splitting it up so all fish don’t crowd one spot. Thoughts?
I would try to feed lightly to get the frenzy vibe going with ur other live stocks favorite food on one side. And then lure the CB to the opposite side with the masstic alone?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back