Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Tuesday was a total non reefin day :( Left work early as the wife took a tumble broke a chip off her knee and did a number on her face hitting the sidewalk.... I told her she reminded me of Dave from Slap Shot Dave’s a KILLER no Dave’s a Mess!
She is lookin better to day but going to be quite a while to get back to normal.

One day of neglect and tank is still cooking well and we are back on track feeding CBB his Masstic. I’m torn on placing Masstic on rocks in one location ( to watch him eat for sure) or splitting it up so all fish don’t crowd one spot. Thoughts?
Wow ouch!

Hope she is feeling less sore!

What will that require later?

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ouch!

Hope she is feeling less sore!

What will that require later?
@norfolkgarden thanks for well wishes She’s a little better every day. Dr needs to wait for swelling to go down on knees to really get in and see if she tore anything that needs repair (to painful till swelling goes down) other than that just a few more weeks for bruising and swelling to hold down. She must feel better cause she thinks she can use the walker to look in the fish store for a Midas and corals :)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG sphincters are fully clenched and anxiety is at max level. My oldest son sprayed Lysol 3 feet from my tank. I heard the aerosol blast and shouted out so it was a three second blast only pointed down......
I thought everyone in house knew no spraying anything first floor no candles etc but he missed that meeting it seems.
I had salt water getting ready in same room open top so that’s getting tossed and making water for 1/3 WC tomorrow am. Already running carbon. I’ve read the horror stories about contamination from sprays so somewhat FREAKED out.
Keep a good thought for me my friends have come so far the thought of taking any losses now from something like this is too depressing to think about :(
I Lysol my bookshelves in my fish room all the time -- I also burn candles. I'm not saying it is smart, but I am saying everything seems to be okay. Just don't put anything that has formaldehyde around it or refinish your woodwork on the same floor. I have a termite guy coming to check things out on Monday and I'm terrified of the poisonous foam they put in the walls. They warned me about my son's reptiles and said I should move them, but they said my tank "should" be okay. (Urgh!) I'm plastic wrapping that big boy. I'm most impressed that your son was dusting -- good job dad!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

IMG_3251.JPG

Its cleaaaaaan!

Let's see a pic of the blasto I gave u at least!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All sphincters no longer puckered only the toadstool seems ticked so all us well. Took a trip to a CT fish store and picked up a yellow gorgonian that Wi split with @RichtheReefer21
No day pics but thought I would try out a night shot. Moonlights are following actual phase so they are at min settings but with photo editor got cpl shots that are eh ok at least show polyps out

9A77498B-403F-4DEA-8D01-64E0C393C9A3.jpeg

3F45F45B-31A4-4308-BAF5-7FD4A6ECEF3E.jpeg

D76C1B61-8B82-4BE7-8780-BCA1BCAF791F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not happy this am. Looked in tank to get more pics and the yellow gorg had two snails and our pincushion urchin on it. No polyps extended as they were last night:(
Moved it to a higher flow area will see how it likes the new placement.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the pic dumps new toy just can’t stop hopefully I’m improving lol and yes gonna move the gorg break contact with the Symphyllia

B95B2382-CCBC-4CB4-B391-B64050F27892.jpeg

70C0FD82-597C-483E-A009-93E97C010577.jpeg
Your gorg looks happy as H.E. double hockey sticks bub. Glad the fragging of the colony went well. :D

And I see the tips for the photos is paying off :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salutations and greetings my fellow marine enthusiasts.
Guess who just upgraded their skimmer? Thats right this guy did. Out with the BM curve 5 and in with the curve 7.
Also have worms coming in bristle and mama mia as well as some mini stars cuc and caulerpa for fuge.
Feeling good lovin the tank copper band is coming up on 3 weeks with us so Im hoping were past the point if worry for him eating enough or not.
Going to try and get some video up of clown feeding his nem if he will cooperate tomorrow :)
Stay salty and thanks for dropping by

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salutations and greetings my fellow marine enthusiasts.
Guess who just upgraded their skimmer? Thats right this guy did. Out with the BM curve 5 and in with the curve 7.
Also have worms coming in bristle and mama mia as well as some mini stars cuc and caulerpa for fuge.
Feeling good lovin the tank copper band is coming up on 3 weeks with us so Im hoping were past the point if worry for him eating enough or not.
Going to try and get some vud up of clown feeding his nem if he will cooperate tomorrow :)
Stay salty and thanks for dropping by
Ur clown has spunk, I like him!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update no video of clown feeding nem:(
I screwed up on the vid dropped the food in reached for the video but clown stole a chunk of food right out of foxfaces mouth and dropped it into the nems mouth! He then proceeded to feed his own face with vid on him. He loves that nem now I know he’s a gentleman and feed it first for next try at a video.
It was an adventure getting the new skimmer in it JUST fits when twisted and turned just so. Will be getting 520 gph thru this bad boy :cool:

I turned my white leds down to a max 30 no difference with algae patch’s in fact a large loose patch turned up in one spot by the nem cave. No other large shaggy spots seen.
Cause is easy to ID tho I’m still freaked out about feeding the Copper Band. I’m dropping in 2grams mastic plus a sliver of fish frenzy for other fish.I’ll feel better when I can get him eating from the water column a bit to confirm he’s getting his share. May have a bit more algae from it but the other fish are getting fat and loving the smorgasbord. Gonna get tuff tho start cutting back on the free for all.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday all! Here’s a Friday FTS
The video of clown feeding zip. The clown for the first time ever didn’t even go for any of the frenzy I put in tank....... had the video rolling but a choice word or two from me make it unfit to post lol

13B69191-FAE5-463B-96CA-43873DCA566F.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back