Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the binge read. Whew! Your tank is awesome and I’ve learned a lot from your up’s and down’s posts.
Still planning the return to SW tank after many years away. Noted you considering either a 4’x2’x2’ vs a 5’x1.5’x2’ for your upgrade. What +’s and -‘s are you listing for each configuration?

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KLaRue Welcome aboard! Thanks for taking the time to go thru the thread and for your kind comments. Your post made my day knowing sharing my ups and downs helps out!
As for upgrade water volume is a good uptick on both
the 2 foot deep tank would allow better flow in front and behind with centered rock work
5 foot long would give better space for the fish to stake out for sleeping and not be as close proximity to each other.
Im thinking for me and space I have 5x2x2 would be the sweet spot. Now its just money and time to get a definite plan.

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KLaRue Welcome aboard! Thanks for taking the time to go thru the thread and for your kind comments. Your post made my day knowing sharing my ups and downs helps out!
As for upgrade water volume is a good uptick on both
the 2 foot deep tank would allow better flow in front and behind with centered rock work
5 foot long would give better space for the fish to stake out for sleeping and not be as close proximity to each other.
Im thinking for me and space I have 5x2x2 would be the sweet spot. Now its just money and time to get a definite plan.
Not sure if you’re just in the save up mode or actively shopping , but SC Aquariums has two versions (pre-drilled for ghost overflow and center overflow) of that size/dimensions on sale for $999.99 on its website.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, LFS fix not have PO4 test reagent refill so will order online not worried things look pretty. Had some fun hand feed One Spot Foxface before feeding the hubcap anemone a quarter sized piece of Fish frenzy chunky. Love watching the tentacles pull the food in so cool. Here’s a quick vid and cpl pics. Two Spot Cardinals still mostly in cave under GSP by nem and Possum Wrasse watch is still on. I knew he’d be hiding for quite a bit till comfortable but he’s so cool want to see him

098B11B3-F3FB-498D-897B-27E572C8C698.jpeg 39CCEECA-21EC-494B-BFC5-45C9AFFB6E7C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re just in the save up mode or actively shopping , but SC Aquariums has two versions (pre-drilled for ghost overflow and center overflow) of that size/dimensions on sale for $999.99 on its website.
Thanks for the heads up on sale. Will be waiting till 1st quarter 2020 to upgrade unless the lottery cooperates :p
What size tank did you have and what size you thinking to get back in? When you pull the trigger and start a build thread tag me so Wi can follow along

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nem made me soil my speedo. I’m in love. Great photo
Thanks! Unreal how big it’s gotten from fist size to about a foot already Gonna need a bigger tank for it
Another plus of the mesh let’s the nasties out BTW lol

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Unreal how big it’s gotten from fist size to about a foot already Gonna need a bigger tank for it
Another plus of the mesh let’s the nasties out BTW lol

I complain mine keeps splitting at 3-4”. I won’t have to worry about it getting to big

Mmm messhhhh

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I complain mine keeps splitting at 3-4”. I won’t have to worry about it getting to big

Mmm messhhhh
LOL, I thought at first you meant your speedo keeps splitting. Hey, I just woke up.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mmm messhhhh
I think BTAs are more prone to split more sensitive than the LTAs, mines a dirty girl loves nasty water and tolerated all my swings in parameters

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on sale. Will be waiting till 1st quarter 2020 to upgrade unless the lottery cooperates :p
What size tank did you have and what size you thinking to get back in? When you pull the trigger and start a build thread tag me so Wi can follow along
Had a 40b we initially setup as FOWLR and in the attempt to move toward reef failed miserably. Tore it down and never started again because we recognized we didn’t know what we were doing.
Reading all these build threads and all the different discussions here on R2R and other sites makes me think we could do it right if planned right from the beginning.
So, targeting the next tank to be 120 or 150. Really like the SCA 150 with the ghost overflow setup.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 40b we initially setup as FOWLR and in the attempt to move toward reef failed miserably. Tore it down and never started again because we recognized we didn’t know what we were doing.
Reading all these build threads and all the different discussions here on R2R and other sites makes me think we could do it right if planned right from the beginning.
So, targeting the next tank to be 120 or 150. Really like the SCA 150 with the ghost overflow setup.
Nice either choice would be a sweet tank. I’m sure you you guys will find success in next build. R2R is such a great source of info and help without the sharper replies I’ve read on other sites. Don’t be shy to post up threads with questions knowledge planning and patience will get you a beautiful slice of the ocean.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, love the possum. :)
... I put one in about 6 months ago, I have no idea if I still have it, not seen since it went in! ;)
Its funny what other pets do we buy knowing we may not see it for months? Only the salt life :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back