OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but, yes switch it off for maybe 24 hours after a water change, you know you are taking out good bacteria as well as unwanted.
Im with @najer on this one. I wouldnt kill it for days but just those initial 12-24 hours after the water change. Any ill affects to bacteria after the change should be minimal to non existent after that.
Seems reasonable guys will start with a 24 hour uv off period to allow salts probios to reactivate and get started. With the papers die off rate bring at 100% treated water compared to how long it would take up to run all water through seems a good plan. Thanks for input guys :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cpl pics with alk back to 8 Hey Mikey they like it!

Leon’s getting larger hole I rebuilt is big deeper but nem is stretching out more

B0529E66-F4DA-4858-94E9-9F2DDEE90CD7.jpeg A3DDE1F6-E431-4F22-8B01-F71F6C76966D.jpeg AFB18EA6-9D87-4CEB-AF9F-29F2F423FC5D.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape is gonna be tweaked ray. We both know U wont leave it alone. ;)

I'm liking the numbers. Glad to hear ur happy with the UV. no experience with em, never researched heavily. Good luck. Maybe this is finally the start of things swinging back up bud.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Nice to see em bounce back would be nicer to see zoas I have facing back wall now.....DOH lol
And now for something completely different :)
Rich had questioned my flow with all I’ve kicked up in tank decided to take every pump apart and clean impellers body goals grates etc.
Return, skimmer, uv, and media reactor......I am now spent! Return pump was slowed a bit others not horrible but needed love.
Since I was pulling everything scraped and used a net to grab bits in skimmer and return section and figured let’s change some more water out......
I got in a groove and couldn’t stop feeling good about cleaning but 4.5 hours I know have wet salty knees and hands like my bud Rich.
@RichtheReefer21 ty for your eye for detail it was something I thought of but dropped with everything else going on. Glad for the backup.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Nice to see em bounce back would be nicer to see zoas I have facing back wall now.....DOH lol
And now for something completely different :)
Rich had questioned my flow with all I’ve kicked up in tank decided to take every pump apart and clean impellers body goals grates etc.
Return, skimmer, uv, and media reactor......I am now spent! Return pump was slowed a bit others not horrible but needed love.
Since I was pulling everything scraped and used a net to grab bits in skimmer and return section and figured let’s change some more water out......
I got in a groove and couldn’t stop feeling good about cleaning but 4.5 hours I know have wet salty knees and hands like my bud Rich.
@RichtheReefer21 ty for your eye for detail it was something I thought of but dropped with everything else going on. Glad for the backup.

You got it bud. I just know that when I was battling cyano, I had my return pump maxed to get as much debris as I could rotating through the sump, filter socks when I choose to drop them in, floss, etc...

I know some people also get the cheap floss in bulk and stuff their overflows with it and remove the floss after a cleaning/blow-off session. Have u tried this?

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about floss but have three pairs of socks so just keep swapping out and cleaning.
Not sure if floss wouldnt clog at top of sick make me switch floss out quicker than socks. 6 of one half dozen another

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Wednesday afternoon fellow reefers. Cpl posts ago was wondering about uding bio actif tm sakt and UV emailed Tropic Marin ladt night and they responded today! No ussue or interference with thier salt uv wont effect the prebiotics or salt performance.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Wednesday afternoon fellow reefers. Cpl posts ago was wondering about uding bio actif tm sakt and UV emailed Tropic Marin ladt night and they responded today! No ussue or interference with thier salt uv wont effect the prebiotics or salt performance.
More good news, happy to see things are going your way !

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news. I may have to give that salt a try.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested here’s Tropic Marins reply

Dear Mr. Peters,

Thank you very much for your trust in our products.

Bio-Actif salt mix contains prebiotic substances which are not affected by UV. The prebiotic substances nourish positive bacteria in the aquarium and especially on and in corals and fish. UV does not impair this effect.

Kind regards

Hans-Werner Balling

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested here’s Tropic Marins reply

Dear Mr. Peters,

Thank you very much for your trust in our products.

Bio-Actif salt mix contains prebiotic substances which are not affected by UV. The prebiotic substances nourish positive bacteria in the aquarium and especially on and in corals and fish. UV does not impair this effect.

Kind regards

Hans-Werner Balling
Nice work going to the source. No better option for getting the facts.

Looking forward to seeing how the reef responds to the salt.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salutations and Greetings fellow marine enthusiasts. Got a surprise today nem thats been getting close to old dinner plate size bailed from his hole I remade. He us now in back corner of tank against glass. Im speculating that since hole was deeper than before was perhaps rubbing on something the bigger he got? Amazing how big/long his foot is and that he got over the rock wall lol. Pics maybe later i fell and jacked up my knee and hip after son bought us dinner so its ice and aleve time

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back