Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salutations and greeting folks Friday looks like a good day for reefing. @Scurvy hooked me up like a tow truck and ato is jamming ;) That manual work daily isn’t for me.
Friday 200 gallons of tropic marin probiotic salt arrives along with some probiotic pellet food. Looking forward to trying this salt out. Interested for the health and tank effects that are possible but even if this isn’t the case the peace of mind from using pharmaceutical grade stuff will be nice.
Tank is a bit better each week fish are happy so I’m happy.
The nem is looking good? It’s still looking like two but can’t see mouths to confirm but it’s in a figure 8 still with the Maroon clown favoring the lower section/part.
Still some rock removal scrubbing to do then it’s mixing a huge batch of TM salt for epic water change. I’ve got two brutes ready to go just need to get first mixing then get rodi made for second.
I’m thinking of just about sucking the sump dry 34 gallon minus mud equipment figure 18 to 20 gallons to dump there then rest from display 35 to 40 gallons
Key is going to be the darn old rocks I used from original craigslist buy. They sat outside for who knows how long and even tho they presoaked / cleaned before going to DT to start cycle think I needed more.

I’m thinking the rocks are the bane of my tank the guy was very proud of his rock being Vanuatu rock but I was noobish and didn’t get a good enough cleaning perhaps before getting em tanked. I have considered buying liverock doing a full cure and seed then replacing the scape will see what brushing out of tank blowing em off before return does and go from there.

Stay salty and stay tuned fingers crossed to have it all done by Sunday life permitting then pic bomb
Big things happening over at the cage!

I hope if the LTA is in fact splitting, that it stays put for u afterwards. Managing 2 of them frisbees is gonna be tough if they start walking around on u.

Pics pics pics! :)

Happy friday bud!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update amigo, I hope the salt works as expected, the reviews I have seen about Tropic Marin are nice so it should be a good move.

Hey about the nem you cannot brag about splitting and then keep us in the dark without pics!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as i can get a good view to confirm its split will get pics asap It sure looks more and more like 2 tho just haven't seen seperate mouths yet tentacles still tight. May try a small feed to both sides

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sick to my stomachs! Pulled rocks for an out of tank scrubbing today. I raised rocks slowly so if fish were in a cave they would swim out. Apparently I wasn’t slow enough :( My oldest fish Showboat a fire fish got stuck in cleaning bucket he was moving when I noticed but just barely. I feel such an idiot he was awesome! Out in front proud and now he may not make it because I was scrubbing at Mach 2. Times like this I feel I’m not good enough to care for these animals.
#honestyinreefing this is as close to feeling a failure yet. Dino’s twice cyano slime gha bubble algae no worries I can handle that nutrients feeding lighting. Killing a 14 month old pet cause I wasn’t careful enough and rushing just stupidity ;Sorry:(

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#aftermath water color after scrubbing was fresh mix and display . Scapes a mess and I don’t understand why rocks don’t fit around nem anymore flipping jigsaw puzzle FAIL. Nem is fully secured to glass bottom so just refit as I could and he is partially opened after 15 min so fingers crossed

CF127323-73F3-44D5-8561-1B96D4FFBBD1.jpeg 2C12D7A8-6AC8-4525-838F-77976B23EAA2.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sick to my stomachs! Pulled rocks for an out of tank scrubbing today. I raised rocks slowly so if fish were in a cave they would swim out. Apparently I wasn’t slow enough :( My oldest fish Showboat a fire fish got stuck in cleaning bucket he was moving when I noticed but just barely. I feel such an idiot he was awesome! Out in front proud and now he may not make it because I was scrubbing at Mach 2. Times like this I feel I’m not good enough to care for these animals.
#honestyinreefing this is as close to feeling a failure yet. Dino’s twice cyano slime gha bubble algae no worries I can handle that nutrients feeding lighting. Killing a 14 month old pet cause I wasn’t careful enough and rushing just stupidity ;Sorry:(
I'm sorry to hear that and hope he recovers. :(

We all do the best we can. Mistakes are so easy to make in this hobby, especially when dealing with problems. All we can do is make sure we learn from our mistakes. And I appreciate your sharing. Your going through this and being open about it may help prevent it from happening to someone else in the future.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Raege, hoping he pulls through for you. Even the best intentions can bite us sometimes. We've all been there with one thing or another.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that and hope he recovers. :(

We all do the best we can. Mistakes are so easy to make in this hobby, especially when dealing with problems. All we can do is make sure we learn from our mistakes. And I appreciate your sharing. Your going through this and being open about it may help prevent it from happening to someone else in the future.
Thanks Brew this whole thread and sharing good and bad is not just for me to scroll back but for others to avoid my boo boos. Cpl time folks have messaged me thanking me for sharing cause it helped them out and truthfully that is an even greater joy than a sparkling tank. #reef2reef4life
Sorry Raege, hoping he pulls through for you. Even the best intentions can bite us sometimes. We've all been there with one thing or another.
Thanks Corey. I needed to vent that one. I can deal and let every other issue roll of my back but fish they got me hooked. Showboat was original fish I started adventure with fingers crossed he heals up

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey Fellow Salties
I mentioned not being able to replace rock by my nem bad jigsaw puzzle Well that NEM is fast! He moved 4 inches while I had rock out just checked his position and he moved another 3 inches in just cpl minutes to back corner of tank.
Amazing moving thru sand bed slinking along glass bottom that fast :oops: :oops: :oops:
I caught him moving with foot almost fully off glass and moved to rebuild his cove gif him. I had a pocket in a group of rocks and he settled day one in love and has grown from less than a fist to dinner plate full extended do tried to recreate that for him.
The Maroon was particularly ticked and viciously attacked relentlessly Apparently other attacks were love taps and thus was real deal o_O
UV running skimmer cleaned chaeto rinsed sump vacuumed and I am spent.
Tomorrow filter dock change 30 gallon water change with tropic marin bio active salt.
Looking at tank still cloudy amazed that mr freak out the foxface seems in heaven. Apparently tho he won’t pick algae of rocks it’s great sport yo chase the little flecks in water column, smh

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, I am really sorry for the accident, I hope your firefish recovers. This hobby can be tough at times just like life itself, stay strong my friend.
Thanks brother I appreciate that very much.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly.. I lost my gramma and signal goby during my upgrade due to neglegance as well ray. Hang tough. Hope showboat makes it :(

The tank will clear and hopefully ur work will pay off and the refugium can start winning the battle for nutrients. I'm always pulling for u friend. Hopefully I'll see u before this weekend.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly.. I lost my gramma and signal goby during my upgrade due to neglegance as well ray. Hang tough. Hope showboat makes it :(

The tank will clear and hopefully ur work will pay off and the refugium can start winning the battle for nutrients. I'm always pulling for u friend. Hopefully I'll see u before this weekend.
Thanks bud nows time to see the tank you will feel even better about yours lol.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously respect honesty in reefing. It helps me deal with my losses and failures. We all have them.
No sugar coating it The truth told may help someone avoid an issue and seeing someone else who doesn’t have the fairy tale reef dream lets people feel better in their own issues. No reefer even with the most amazing tank has led the charmed life. Stuff happens to all how we deal.with it shows if your a truly a reefer heading for success. Stay Salty and learn grow and share.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud nows time to see the tank you will feel even better about yours lol.
I will see where I was when I pulled all my rock and scrubbed it outside in a tub. Weve all been there chief. Hugs

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, quick hit before I do some testing and take some pics later. Showboat the firefish 1st fish added is no more :( In the circle of life on the reef he will live on tho as the clown grabbed him and fed the anemone:oops: he wasn’t moving great and the clown took care of business. The wife watched him go after em and then drop him into news mouth.
On a positive nem is pretty happy :p
Skimmer just emptied yesterday is almost at overfill it went spastic after the rock pullin yesterday.
Salt water isn’t ready for wc so plan is skimmer gfo and carbon change and testing been afraid of the numbers with tank neglect while wife was sick.
BBL with numbers and pics
Stay Salty friends

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back