Random Flow Generator Show Off Thread - Show us your Tank!

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a video I made of my 240 gallon cube mixed reef (SPS dominant) tank. I have no power heads in this tank. Just six 1 inch RFGs powered by a COR20(2000 GPH) and a Hammerhead/Barracuda (6000GPH).

Here is a video of the tank if you were interested (only my 2nd video so still learning)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a video I made of my 240 gallon cube mixed reef (SPS dominant) tank. I have no power heads in this tank. Just six 1 inch RFGs powered by a COR20(2000 GPH) and a Hammerhead/Barracuda (6000GPH).

Here is a video of the tank if you were interested (only my 2nd video so still learning)

Love the style of your videos. The flow is insane!

how are the RFG split up on your pumps? Is it 2 for the Core and 4 for the Hammerhead/Barracuda?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which ones will work for the jbj45 gallon aio aquarium
Thank for th questions. The JBJ line and the IM line both use the same adapters. So, for the JBJ Flat panel series, you'll need the 19mm to 1/2in slip-fit-drop adapter along with a 1/2in RFG nozzle for each outlet.

Pair this with a good pump, and I think you'll like it :cool:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running these since they were introduced on my SCA 80G cube on dual locline. Love these things!

They don't force water in a specific flow pattern(like an educator), but actually push water in a random flow pattern around the tank. While I originally had mine just pointed at surface to break surface tension, I have found they are better placed within the tank for flow through my corals. I honestly think these would be the bonb on a closed loop system. I have since put a gyre on my center tower style overflow for surface agitation.

20191119_090844.jpg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which adapters do I need for the waterbox 35.2 and what return pump would you recommend? softie/LPS/RBTAs
Thank you

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which adapters do I need for the waterbox 35.2 and what return pump would you recommend? softie/LPS/RBTAs
Thank you
you would need our 16.5mm adapters - they convert the small wye fitting's outlets to genuine Loc-line compatibility.

You can then add either dual 1/4in RFGs or dual 1/2in RFG - however, because of the small size of the stock outlets, the 1/4in RFGs may be the better choice.

You'll find these specific parts here:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any suggestions on keeping air from getting sucked into of of the intakes? I want to try something non-permanent, so no silicone initially. They do work nice. ;)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on keeping air from getting sucked into of of the intakes? I want to try something non-permanent, so no silicone initially. They do work nice. ;)
the easiest way top mitigate air being drawn in is to follow the steps listed below. Making sure they are relatively straight tot eh last segment of Loc-Line usually does the trick.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

In really high-flow scenarios, you generally just need to push them deeper below the water line

in extreme high-flow setups, you can usual black off just one edecutor and still get the randomization effect. The easier non-permanent way to do this is with a small peice of epoxy putty - the kind you might use to mount a coral .

To use it, you simply push some into the educator, and then pull it out and let it dry. This will form it in the shape of the eductor. Now you have form-fit plug you can insert into the eductor to block it off. The key here is to not push it too deep into the eductor. You just need to to to block it off. Also, this will change the flow requirements a bit, and may require higher flow to still get a good punchy Randomized flow pattern.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the easiest way top mitigate air being drawn in is to follow the steps listed below. Making sure they are relatively straight tot eh last segment of Loc-Line usually does the trick.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

In really high-flow scenarios, you generally just need to push them deeper below the water line

in extreme high-flow setups, you can usual black off just one edecutor and still get the randomization effect. The easier non-permanent way to do this is with a small peice of epoxy putty - the kind you might use to mount a coral .

To use it, you simply push some into the educator, and then pull it out and let it dry. This will form it in the shape of the eductor. Now you have form-fit plug you can insert into the eductor to block it off. The key here is to not push it too deep into the eductor. You just need to to to block it off. Also, this will change the flow requirements a bit, and may require higher flow to still get a good punchy Randomized flow pattern.

Excellent, thanks for the epoxy tip! They are in an SPS tank with high flow, so I think the random patterns should be fine.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting this for my 40 gallon. So am I reading the specs correctly...recommended flow for the 3/4 inch is 180-200 gph. Seems kind of low...especially on a 40 gallon.

Flow recommendations
For the strong, punchy randomization flow effect, supply each Random Flow Generator® Nozzle with the Suggested Optimal Flow Rating or more. For broad diffused and randomized flow, your target should be closer to the suggested minimum flow.
ModelMinimum GPHSuggested Optimal Flow
Single 3/4in RFG180-200 GPH
(680-757 LPH)
420-500+ GPH
(1,590 - 1,890 LPH)
Two 3/4in RFGs400-500 GPH
(1,500-1,890 LPH)
700-800+ GPH
(2,600-3,028 LPH)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting this for my 40 gallon. So am I reading the specs correctly...recommended flow for the 3/4 inch is 180-200 gph. Seems kind of low...especially on a 40 gallon.

Flow recommendations
For the strong, punchy randomization flow effect, supply each Random Flow Generator® Nozzle with the Suggested Optimal Flow Rating or more. For broad diffused and randomized flow, your target should be closer to the suggested minimum flow.
ModelMinimum GPHSuggested Optimal Flow
Single 3/4in RFG180-200 GPH
(680-757 LPH)
420-500+ GPH
(1,590 - 1,890 LPH)
Two 3/4in RFGs400-500 GPH
(1,500-1,890 LPH)
700-800+ GPH
(2,600-3,028 LPH)
That would be the minimum flow. At that flow rate a 3/4in RFG will randomize, but it would be very gentle and soft - maybe more suited to. Freshwater build.

Also, keep in mid that suggested flow ratings are at the outlet - as opposed to at the return pump. So you'll want to calculate after any headloss the plumbing may create.

With that said, for a 40-gallon, I would generally suggest a 1/2in Random Flow Generator - even if you plan on running a single. You'll get better results out of a 1/2in RFG supploed with flow closer to the Optimal Flow rating than you will with a 3/4in RFG closer to its minimum flow rating.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up a new g2 red sea 750xxl. With a varios 8. What would be the best way to get the Nozzle set up on the new tank?
Since that system has the new dual inlet setup - you're best option, might be to run two 1in CADE flow kits.

1661109136327.png

You'll need two kits - one for each side. Each flow kits come with two different 25mm pipe adapters. Red Sea Reefer system use the 25mm Pipe adapter
1661109029830.png

The other option is to run our standard Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade kits. Again - you'll need two - once kit for each side. This effectly splits each side for 4, 3/4in RFGs. if you go this rout, i would suggest picking up an extra stick of 3/4in loc-line - you may want to extent one side of each Y.

With that said, I very much prefer the CADE Flow kits in the Red Sea Reeer G2 systems with the dual inlets. It makes for a cleaner look, costs a litte less, and allows you to better utilize the randomized flow the RFGs can provide, in that configureation.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since that system has the new dual inlet setup - you're best option, might be to run two 1in CADE flow kits.

1661109136327.png

You'll need two kits - one for each side. Each flow kits come with two different 25mm pipe adapters. Red Sea Reefer system use the 25mm Pipe adapter
1661109029830.png

The other option is to run our standard Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade kits. Again - you'll need two - once kit for each side. This effectly splits each side for 4, 3/4in RFGs. if you go this rout, i would suggest picking up an extra stick of 3/4in loc-line - you may want to extent one side of each Y.

With that said, I very much prefer the CADE Flow kits in the Red Sea Reeer G2 systems with the dual inlets. It makes for a cleaner look, costs a litte less, and allows you to better utilize the randomized flow the RFGs can provide, in that configureation.
Thank you, ill go with the 1in cade. Just placed the order. Thanks

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an incoming flow pipe on each side with three RFG on each one. The flow is alternated from one side to the other. I'm camouflaging my RFG nozzles with some "easily spread" corals.
Front view
IMG_8378.JPG

side view
IMG_8376.JPG

Going for a green waterfall look as it grows out.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an incoming flow pipe on each side with three RFG on each one. The flow is alternated from one side to the other. I'm camouflaging my RFG nozzles with some "easily spread" corals.
Front view
IMG_8378.JPG

side view
IMG_8376.JPG

Going for a green waterfall look as it grows out.
that pretty cool - we once had a PFG nozzle that was fully encrusted with green poccilipora coral.

sequence-20181229_090629.jpg

Sadly we lost this particular colony in a pump failure. The return pump on this particular aquarium failed while we were at the office, and we weren't able to replace it until the next day it. As a result this coral sat exposed to the air for what I estimated to be 6 to 7 hours. Probably a few hours too much an didn't survive it.

We still ended up with a pretty cool piece though. We saved after it died and set it out in the sun for a week or so to bleach it out - here it is now.

20210630_073223.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back