Receeding Favia

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello wonderful R2R community!

So my Ultron favia has been growing like crazy over the past couple of months. Yesterday morning I noticed that the favia was showing a ton of its skeleton and was not inflated at all. I target all my LPS every two or three days.
20210409_100859.jpg

I tested my parameters at my LFS about 4 days ago and here is a picture of the test results.
20210405_160724.jpg

Today I did a 15% water change and I moved the favia into a lower light region to help it avoid any unnecessary stress.

Im really just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why the favia looks so stressed out of no where? Its like it happened overnight.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of Lps corals suffer from bacterial Infections. If it were mine I would do a 30 min fresh water dip and see how It does. Of that doesnt work I have had great success with 30 second peroxide dips and or antibiotic dips

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of Lps corals suffer from bacterial Infections. If it were mine I would do a 30 min fresh water dip and see how It does. Of that doesnt work I have had great success with 30 second peroxide dips and or antibiotic dips
Just did a 30 min freshwater dip. I'll try the 30 second H2O2 dip if I don't see any improvement in the next couple of days. Thank you for the suggestions!

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the freshwater dip the favia was about the same as before. However, now it is excreting white/clear puss. I just did a quick H2O2 dip to try to clean it off but it just looks super stressed and like there might be some tissue loss. My guess is maybe self-induced necrosis? But why is the tissue dying all of a sudden?

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip is kinda crazy. It’s like putting you in space for X amount time. Next time do a iodine or some other kind of dip dip. Your mag is also low, and I’d recommend to start doing your own testing, you can’t be 100 sure those numbers are legitimate

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take this wrong but that seems like some rather harsh dipping. Sometimes corals just close up for a while. I don't really see "a ton of skeleton" in that first pic. Your magnesium seems low and so do your nutrients. How is the rest of your tank doing?
All other favia and LPS are doing fine. No signs of stress or any recession of the tissue

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip is kinda crazy. It’s like putting you in space for X amount time. Next time do a iodine or some other kind of dip dip. Your mag is also low, and I’d recommend to start doing your own testing, you can’
20210410_091915.jpg
t be 100 sure those numbers are legitimate
I test for phosphates and alkalinity. I'll invest in more testing equipment. It looks like it's suffering from Brown Jelly Disease. I just ordered cipro from Chewy so once that comes in I will dose the tank with the antibiotic

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip is kinda crazy. It’s like putting you in space for X amount time. Next time do a iodine or some other kind of dip dip. Your mag is also low, and I’d recommend to start doing your own testing, you can’t be 100 sure those numbers are legitimate

This. Not sure I'd recommend a FW dip ever on any coral. I only H202 dip zoas and at less than full strength.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'd recommend a FW dip ever on any coral
Its probably legit for zoas but I prefer the H202 myself for zoas.
it's suffering from Brown Jelly Disease
This is a thing for euphyllia and heliofungia, but favia??
I just ordered cipro
No, no, no... you might need this drug to save your life someday. Just use iodine. Seachem makes the product. Read the directions very carefully. Its not used at full strength.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've saved corals with fwd. There are plenty of threads of you want to search where people cure elegance corals to clams using fresh water dips. Personally Ive been able to save duncan corals frogspawn torches and all sorts of corals with Hydrogen peroxide, some with active brown jelly infections. If all corals are fine and one is receeding I tend to find that the longer you wait the less likely you are to save it. I've never saved anything with iodine. I use iodine after fragging not to cure infections. The only thing I would say would be if you do suspect and infection and dip a coral I would not dip it twice in one day. Let it chill out for a bit. Sometimes corals have internal infections where their mouths gape open and I found chloramphenicol is super effective. I've obtained corals from a LFS as they get corals that turn for the worst and they let me take them because they dont want to mess with them feel like I've had good success. I believe that white puss is probobly the Mesenterial filiments. Let sit and dont stress it any further.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. Unfortunately, the Favia died after two days :( The tissue completely melted away and the white skeleton was all that was left.

Did another water change on the tank and dosed a little H2O2 to try to prevent any more infections. All favia and euphyllia are looking healthy with nice colors and polyp extension.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back