Recommendations for Reefer 250 G2 flow

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
I need to switch to a larger tank from my nano as it’s getting overgrown and I am going to go with Red Sea reefer 250 g2,

now since I don’t have that much money for equipment right now I can’t buy MP40s or an expensive return so my idea was to go with:

-Jebao SCP 70 or SCP 90 Gyre style wave maker to create Gyre effect.
-Hygger mini to supplement dead zone (what I have already)
- Jebao MDP 3500 return pump

I’m keeping Softies (zoa, leathers..) and LPS ( Torch, hammer , scoly , favia.. )

my questions are mainly:
- if Jebao SCP 70 or 90 gyre wave maker
- if gyre is a good idea for lps, I had issue before of it blasting polyp off the skeleton of coral but that was because it was too strong for my tiny tank
- of mdp 3500 is good enough size?

I do plan to upgrade those in the future, but to get going I’m trying to get flow done for 200-250 euros .

I’m also open to other suggestions. Would love to hear from owners of reefer 250 that keep LPS what flow they use . Cheers

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a single Red Sea ReefWave25 gyre for your tank (or pair if you want to place them on each side of the overflow). Even though it's a bit more coin, I'd look at the new Red Sea return pump since it's made by Sicce and these things are literally bulletproof.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a single Red Sea ReefWave25 gyre for your tank (or pair if you want to place them on each side of the overflow). Even though it's a bit more coin, I'd look at the new Red Sea return pump since it's made by Sicce and these things are literally bulletproof.
Well yes, but they are 4 times as much. I do plan to get a good equipment later on , but sometimes it’s not feasible to afford everything at once.
but brand aside do you have a gyre wave maker ? How is the flow in the tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, but they are 4 times as much. I do plan to get a good equipment later on , but sometimes it’s not feasible to afford everything at once.
but brand aside do you have a gyre wave maker ? How is the flow in the tank?
Yes, but they break down 1/20th as often... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yes, I run Red Sea ReefWave45s in my tank.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an SCP-70 on my old tank. It did it's job and did Gyre things. Honestly if anything it was MORE powerful than the ratings. I had to leave mine on minimum power otherwise it would blow sand and frags all over my 4 ft tank. The control left a LOT to be desired and it jammed up quite frequently. @blaxsun is absolutely right about breaking down less often. The controllability of name-brand stuff is also nice. If you're going to go cheap I wouldn't get a gyre, because their performance is greatly dependent on their controllability. Just some Jebao wave makers will certainly do the trick and move water.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an SCP-70 on my old tank. It did it's job and did Gyre things. Honestly if anything it was MORE powerful than the ratings. I had to leave mine on minimum power otherwise it would blow sand and frags all over my 4 ft tank. The control left a LOT to be desired and it jammed up quite frequently. @blaxsun is absolutely right about breaking down less often. The controllability of name-brand stuff is also nice. If you're going to go cheap I wouldn't get a gyre, because their performance is greatly dependent on their controllability. Just some Jebao wave makers will certainly do the trick and move water.
It’s definitely nice to go with a name brand, I’ll most likely get mp40s at some point as I’d like to have cables out of my tank.

that is a bit of my concern, was you told tank also 90cm wide? If you could choose a Jebao for it again, would you get a smaller gyre wave maker?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back