Recommendations wanted

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I would like help in selecting a fish for my tank. It is a 38 gallon that is mainly zoas and palys, with a few mushrooms. The tank has about 55 lbs of live rock, a hob reef octopus bh-1000, and a couple of powerheads for flow. Lighting is led, started with marineland double bright and added stunner strips etc to get the lighting to where I like it. There is approx 45 watts worth of leds over this tank. Currently in the tank is an ocellaris clown, 2 pepperment shrimp, a couple clams and a few snails, and several frags/colonies of z & p's and mushrooms. The next fish I'm planning on is a royal gramma. After this, I'd like something with a lot of blue, blue like the blue damsels (but don't want a damsel). I'm wanting a peaceful tank, with these three fish and maybe a goby or blenny later. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neon goby, or a small fairy wrasse?
neon_goby.jpg

81fa9b1d_SolorensisWrasse.jpeg

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the colors of the fairy wrasse. I'll look into that. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a starry blenny for algae control...not the most colorful fish but a hard worker and tons of personality. The tank is too small for a tang unless you can move him to a bigger tank one day and IMO, the more algae eating fish the better.

As for blue tank mates, I'd avoid the damsels. Black capped basslets (might fight with the gramma) or orchid dottybacks are bluish purple and stay pretty small....cool fish. If I were gonna get a wrasse I'd get one of the smaller flasher wrasses, although that solaris wrasse might work. That clownfish might get a little terretorial on you but probably not cause any serious problems. Blue Chromis are more blue green but would fit right in and look good in a trio or school of a few more......

Just my thoughts....

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a relatively tiny tank and had same issues. My favorite two fish have turned out to be the last fish I thought I'd love. My diamond goby and my red scooter dragonet. They are awesome with great personality and are beautiful! I HIGHLY recommend them!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360969915.653539.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360970131.993973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360970145.353999.jpg

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah so far as clownfish go... I figured a lil trick. I've got four. I started with a small clown and then added gradually larger clowns. The smaller ones unite in their dislike for the larger one but are too small to do much. They all four now get along peachy keen. Do four clowns constitute a troupe?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360970443.603533.jpg

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at chromis in the pet stores. They're not really the blue I am looking for. I have a damsel tank, don't want them in this one.

4 clownfish in the same tank, and they said it couldn't be done. I have a mated pair of ocellaris in a tank of their own. Troupe?, not sure. Where in AL are you located?

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered a six-line wrasse. Anyone see any issues with this? Not quite as much blue as I wanted, but still.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered a six-line wrasse. Anyone see any issues with this? Not quite as much blue as I wanted, but still.
The 6 lines frequently become territorial and aggressive towards other fish. If you add one, it may become the tank bully and kill anything you add in the future.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the desire to add blue... it's just not a color you see in nature that often. For anything less than 100g you're pretty much restricted to damsels. Although you could go with a baby tang and find a new home or get a new tank when he grows up.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on the wrasse. Strike that one.

I have 2 larger tanks that I have yet to add water to. They are both glass boxes set-up in my den. One is a 75g,48x18x21, almost have everything to get it running. I'm thinking it will be mostly lps with some zoas. The other is an 85g, 72x13x21. Haven't really started collecting anything for that one yet. I think maybe the 6 foot tank may work for a smaller tang, but not real sure. This tank will be mostly for fish, with a few zoas maybe.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back