Reducing Silicates (Without GFO?)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think the dry rock is releasing SI, then couldn't you take a sample of the rock and crush it till it's dissolved and have Triton test it for SI?

@Randy Holmes-Farley, any ideas on that approach?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think the dry rock is releasing SI, then couldn't you take a sample of the rock and crush it till it's dissolved and have Triton test it for SI?

@Randy Holmes-Farley, any ideas on that approach?

IMO, it is unlikely that normal reef rock is releasing problematic levels of silicate/silica.

I wouldn’t crush it for the above test, but soaking a rock in water and testing the water by kit or icp is a good test. Crushing might release very fine particulates that might get counted by icp but not be bioavailable.

Last edited:

revco33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what is a high silicate reading on the Salifert Test kit is? I'm having a little diatom outbreak after up and running for six months. Some things that happened pre-tell. Added a fish to bring fish total to 3. Added a Santa Monica Algae scrubber. Chaeto dying around the same time scrubber was put in. Started feeding daily with half cube from every other day with a third of a cube. I make live rotifers and copepods and phyto, but rarely dose phyto. I had a Dino outbreak for about two weeks. Very small. little bit here and there. I just siphoned daily and then it was gone. I did also put in BRS rubble into the tank. I didn't cure it. Hard to really pin down. Also using RODI with 0 tds.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New dry aragonite will add silicates.
Not surprisingly you got them after the addition.

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping it's not the rocks, but I really don't see another likely source. It would be great if I had a reason to switch from Instant Ocean to something else, but I don't think the salt is the culprit, nor the RO/DI system. I haven't seen any trend that BRS dry rock commonly leach silicates, but I'd be interested to know if others with the same rock are experiencing the same things.
Sorry buddy but after research instant ocean is the culprit they even admit it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry buddy but after research instant ocean is the culprit they even admit it.

What exactly are you referring to? Silicate? Diatom growth? Something else?

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate being in instant ocean and reef crystals the makers admit it and diatom algea feed of silicate...

Tdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is likely aluminum oxide, which is also a phosphate binder.

I'm not aware of any chemical media we use that binds silicate and not phosphate.
Could this be caused by removing large quantities of marine pure? Having a similar problem

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 24"x5" nitrate/phosphate reactor and still have a small amount of it bit not bad ,seems like every time I add fresh water to replace evaporated water I get a little out break of diatom algea.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate (Si(OH)3O-) is charged and conducts and is detected, as will its positively charged counterion.

If some of it is present as silicic acid, that won't conduct. The pKa is about 9.5, so at lower pH, most will be silicic acid.
what the heck did you just say?!? I'm not the sharpest OR the dullest tool in the shed but that went over my head like a F-22 Raptor....

Rkdunn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high silicate levels as well with my Triton results. Just added a SilicaBuster DI membrane to my RODI unit. We shall see...
Silicate buster?? What’s it called and where did you buy it??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate buster?? What’s it called and where did you buy it??

It's a marketing term for a DI cartridge that claims to be better at binding silicate. Not sure what level of data supports that claim.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so did anyone ever answer the question on how to remove silcates from the tank water? i read sponges and thats about all.. stopping them from entering a DT was adderssed but never seen a clear cut answer to removing them from the DT.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so did anyone ever answer the question on how to remove silcates from the tank water? i read sponges and thats about all.. stopping them from entering a DT was adderssed but never seen a clear cut answer to removing them from the DT.

Phosphate binders can remove silicate. Diatoms also do a great job.

Do you have an issue?

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate binders can remove silicate. Diatoms also do a great job.

Do you have an issue?
There is one particular product in the market that claims to removes silicates its called Silicarbon by aqua connect but couldn't find any video reviews on it or anyone that used it. What is your opinion on this product Randy

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one particular product in the market that claims to removes silicates its called Silicarbon by aqua connect but couldn't find any video reviews on it or anyone that used it. What is your opinion on this product Randy

Their write up is filled with incorrect facts. They seem to confuse diatoms (use silicate) with cyanobacteria (do not use silicate for any purpose). Not very promising, IMO.

That said, I cannot see any pictures of the actual material to know what it might be. It might be a mix of GFO and GAC, or some related thing.

GrimReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this stuff gets rid of silicate.
Silicate-Remover-Box-1000x1000__86407.jpg

The question Is, what is it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely aluminum oxide, like Phosguard or Kent Phosphate sponge, at least based on folks visual descriptions online. I’ve never seen a picture of the media.

Back