Reef moonshiners program

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a search in the forums and ran across a few threads where it is mentioned, but no real discussion. So who all is using the reef moonshiners program/dosing elements on their tanks? Who is having success with it? I'd love to discuss this further as it has me a little intrigued.

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this method about a month and a half ago. Its pretty straight forward and Andre has a really nice calculator made up so dosing corrections are simple. So far im seeing some nice colors that I havent seen before. As mentioned the FB group is very helpful and he is really responsive there.

Casual_reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of the fb group. I've already joined it, was hoping to get opinions from more than just one source.
That Facebook group has been a fantastic tool. I switched to it from Red Sea trace after an ICP test showed a major imbalance. Since the consumption ratios weren't the same as the mixes I had some stuff low or untraceable and others overdosed trying to get those others up. I've been doing it about a month so I'm waiting for the big results but so far I really like the calculator system. I feel like I have much better control and understanding of my trace dosing. I thought the daily dosing was going to be a pain but for my 160 gal system it's 4 bottles with either 2 or 4 drops so it's pretty simple. You can get it for free online if you want to experiment with the calculator before jumping in.
I've posted about it a little on my Instagram @casual_reefkeeping and plan to do a before and after in the near future

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Reef Moonshiners for about 6 months. The program is very easy to follow and his elements are very reasonable in cost. Overall color improved for me at first and in a few months growth really improved. I just upgraded my 100 gallon to a 220 gallon reef tank last month . I will post some pics shortly when tank stabilizes more. I’ve tried a lot of methods in the last 4 years but this one is the best by far. Customer support is always prompt which can be a rare occurrence in this hobby .

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Reef Moonshiners Program for 8 months on my 400gallon system. I initially was also doing small continuous water changes but have not done water changes in about 6 months. I have been using ATI ICP testing for over a year now and have experienced great results, good color, good growth, consistent measurements with most elements. The biggest thing that I have learned from this system is to stick with the rule if you don't test it, don't dose it. Before starting moonshiners I dosed Red Sea products with some success but noticed dangerous levels of a few elements when I started ICP testing. I have used Triton ICP testing, ATI testing and both of their elements. I also tried the Corlavue test and they lost my sample. After doing a lot of research and calculations I have seen issues and weaknesses with all of the systems except for Reef Moonshiners. ATIs tests are the best value and superior to Triton in all ways with the new exception that Triton has a quicker turnaround with their new US based testing but it lacks some of the tests that I need /like including Fluorine, Nitrate, Phosphate. ATI appears to be less expensive on the surface but their concentrations are very low with Triton being 2-10x more concentrated with various elements which offsets the savings compared to Triton. I will address Reef moonshiners in the follow up post below.

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Moonshiners allows me to continue to use other dosing products like BRS Ca, Alk, Mg, (which would be cost prohibitive for me with Triton or ATI as my system uses a ton of Ca and Alk), Brightwell Strontion, and Potassium, the concentration of corrective elements is close to that of the Triton system but the price of all elements is $20 each for 500ml other than the expensive Rubidium which is $40 for 500ml and is not a necessary component. I uses dosing pumps for more than half of the elements and do monthly corrections of the others as needed. Reef Moonshiners departs from using levels found in natural seawater in its dosing calculations, instead Andre has tweaked many of the levels allowing for improved color and possibly growth rates but color improvements for sure. Another advantage of the Moonshiner program is that so far Andre has never run out of elements when I need them as is the case with Triton. Also Andre is pretty much ALWAYS available to answer questions or provide assist and does so quickly and without any attitude. I have also purchased a coral pack from him and it was by far the most carefully prepared and shipped corals I have ever received. I had one coral die and Andre was quick to include extra elements in my next dry good order to make up for the loss even though he was not responsible. He goes above and beyond to make his system work for your tank. I look forward to the future as he expands his system(hint, hint carries Vanadium).

brians_150_htx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this method for 4-6 months now. I’ve seen huge improvements in my tanks health and overall biology. Corals are really popping!! Andre the owner of Reef Moonshiners also goes above and beyond to help his users with any issues and to help them assess their icp tests and figure out what dosing changes if any are needed. He also has an amazing spreadsheet calculator that makes life easy and is also just recently finishing a new calculation tool to make it even easier! I highly recommend his method to anyone who wants their tank to really achieve its full potential. It’s also great supporting a local reefer and just an all around great dude!!!

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also eventually I may go back to using a Ca reactor which integrates well with Reef Moonshiners.
Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 6.20.14 PM.png

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you did was buy the $6 or 7 ebook along with his free calculator and free handbook, your are ahead of the game.

If it forces you to get an ICP test and compare your results to those in the test. Your ahead of the game.

If you join the Facebook group and read through the posts and his advise about certain element levels being linked to TN issues or being introduced to BioDigest. Your a head of the game.

At this point you have spent $7 for an ebook and 45 for an ATI ICP test. I’m sure most have spent that in Vibrant and Nopox alone. This alone is worth dipping your toe into some Moonshine!!

If you are willing to spend $400 and get your feett in the Shine! You will be able to experiment with his LITE plan for 4 months. This depends on the size of your tank and how in alignment it is. This include the LITE elements, BioDigest and 4 ICP tests.

The rest is up to you. If you fear that he might have a QA issue or Corona virus hold up your shipment. Nope all made and packed in the States.

The one area that scares me is if Andre passes on, but like any good German he’s working on that with Virtual Andre. Beta edition in a spreadsheet with more revs to come, so if you like a version of Andre over another, you can keep the one you want.

This is paid advertisement. I was paid the dosing Calculator and the reef moonshiner handbook and all the free insults I can take.

I’m 1 months in and He told me it would be a bumpy ride. My tank was a mess, still is but moving in a positive direction. The TN issues seem to have subsided. Nutrient levels are more in check and this current correction was less about imbalance and metals and more about healthy corrections. GHA and Turf Algae not as tightly held to the rock. I look forward to the day he says. Ok you ready for the liquid mud and vitamin supplements. Zoas which looked good before look great now with more blues and red.

The whole moonshine community is based on helping, with some rib poking, but so far no one has a holier than thou attitude.

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain and simply, the RM method gives you an incredibly stable tank with only a slight amount of additional work. And it offsets itself by not needing regular water changes, so at the end of the day, it is cheaper for most of us than water changes, and way less labor intensive. As an additional incentive, it forces your accountability to possible pollutants by virtue of semi regular ICP testing. Overall, a great system. Andre is also an extremely helpful person to have in your corner.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it currently and with the new ICP Calculator it makes supplementing those missing or depleted elements a breeze. Andre has taken all the work out of this. The calculators are free!

Original dosing calculator here:

“NEW” ICP assessment and dosing calculator here:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back