reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

powerpk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Here is mine, version 0.2 now :)

IMG_0120.PNG

It features

Hardware
- 1 x Ph probe
- 16 x sockets (extendable to 128 ;))
- 2 x temp probes
- 3 x float switches
- 1 x optical level monitor
- 1 x warning buzzer
- USB tank camera (hang from outside the glass)

Software
- Mobile interface
- MQTT bus
- Temp timeline
- Ph timeline
- Parameters DB
- Maintenance schedule, etc.
- Live camera feed

I started out as all integrated designed to fit all under cabinet. After a year later I split into the modules. Here is the controller module.

IMG_4299_labeled.png

Mobile interface, so no screen, only one LED light to show everything is OK.

IMG_4301 copy.jpg
IMG_4297-labeled.png

I will put up more photos of socket module box and others. I don't use wifi as I want devices to be able to communicate local nodes.

S/W is on github but its a mess at the moment. I need to clean up and produce a hardware schematics that works with S/W.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powerpk thats ****** :) . This must be all MCU & C ? I went with Pi because of linux. Got to write the web server in go. No MQTT yet. I am thinking of doing something on that line (and integrate with adafruit.io , for sensor data). But nothing anytime soon, on those line.
Wavemaker uses PWM? or switch/on off with timer.
Thank you for sharing

powerpk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib A bit of C, python and node.js for client UI notifications. Going with Pi make sense that you can spend more time on app features and get a lot for free :D

For WM, just switch controls. Each switch is programmable so in feeding mode or socks changing/maintenance mode etc. a number of switches go off and come back one at a time. I didn't spend much time integrating with lighting or WM controls coz off the shelf products come with good controls already. My focus is more on controller alerting if something goes wrong or supplements are getting low.

This is my 50G tank but I am in the process of changing.

IMG_1301.JPG

Please do keep sharing :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@davet happy that you found this interesting. reef-pi is a complete end to end open source software, open hardware project, that is tested on raspberry pi. I'll be posting the third part (installing and configuring software) tonight. If you do end up building something similar, or using reef-pi software, and need any help, let me know.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@caver @Engloid happy that you find it interesting. If you do end up assembling one, let me know, can help with any questions.
@ubasu I would assume some kind of analog to digital converter. I am using mcp3008 IC for all analog based sensors.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following along, I love stuff like this. I've always wanted to build something like this for myself - do you have any good resources that you can recommend for teaching myself to do something similar?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following along, I love stuff like this. I've always wanted to build something like this for myself - do you have any good resources that you can recommend for teaching myself to do something similar?
Raspberry has a great website and forums that contain a lot of information.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

In my opinion the best thing to do is buy a controller kit and jump right in. The barrier for entry is very low. Once you learn some basic concepts this type of low level programming is very easy.

If you want to use it for an aquarium, I believe you can get some pre written code here.
http://www.reefpi.net/smf/

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raspberry has a great website and forums that contain a lot of information.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

In my opinion the best thing to do is buy a controller kit and jump right in. The barrier for entry is very low. Once you learn some basic concepts this type of low level programming is very easy.

If you want to use it for an aquarium, I believe you can get some pre written code here.
http://www.reefpi.net/smf/

Cool deal, I'll check it out.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 3: Software installation & configuration.

Continuing on the reef-pi controller build thread. This is the last part on the build process. In previous two parts I have covered assembling the electronics and then building hosing/fixture for the electronics and electrical outlets. I'll go through the software installation and configuration related bits in this part.
reef-pi is built and tested on Raspberry Pi, a tiny computer. Raspberry Pi website has extensive documentation. I am enlisting only the reef-pi specific relevant bits. We'll need a separate computer (or a laptop), a keyboard and a mouse for this steps. Some basic knowledge of how to update files will be required as well,
  • Install & configure operating system: Follow raspberry pi official documentation to format the microSD card. I'll recommend using the latest pixel distribution as operating system. Attach microSD card, a mouse, keyboard (use the USB ports), and an HDMI based display (like TV) . Once Raspberry Pi is started change default password, configure internet (if you want to access reef-pi from internet connected devices, such as laptop, mobile) and update /boot/config.txt file to enable i2c, spi (example). Enable ssh. There are documentation on each of these step in raspberry pi website. There are several youtube videos as well. Let me know if you need any tutorial reference. I'm not repeating those steps here, to keep things concise.
  • Configure official pi display (if you are using one)
  • Install and configure reef-pi software: Download reef-pi software package from here. Run "sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-0.0.3.deb" to install reef-pi. Restart raspberry pi.Once restarted reef-pi should be running on raspberry pi. You can check the dashboard using the browser, by visiting "http://localhost:8080".
If you wire everything correctly, this will be all you need to get reef-pi running. After this, you can start using reef-pi controller software from the raspberry pi's display. reef-pi ships with configuration that does not allow the software to be used from other devices. You can change it (/etc/reef-pi/config.yaml), to allow access from other devices. Once configure, restart reef-pi (sudo systemctl restart reef-pi), or restart raspberry pi, and then you should be able to access reef-pi from any internet connected device (such as mobile, tablets, computers etc), using the device's browser. Just point it to reef-pi's IP address. reef-pi dashboard will show the IP address of the controller. (or run `ip a s` command on raspberry pi ).
reef-pi home page (or dashboard):

Dashboard.png

I'll go over the basic workflows in next post. Probably, cover how to configure equipment, automate day to day reef keeping chores with reef-pi etc.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
I have been very busy with the controller build, but didn't get time to update this thread .
My second build is running stable for a month now. This one was designed for my pico , has 4 ac outlets, and does not have the dosing pumps. The housing is much better done. I changed things from the first builds experience. I have also updated the software to make it simpler to use. Instead of lot of configurable options I have reduced the user interface to only provide the basic day to day workflows that I use.

I 'll be exhibiting the controller and couple of my pico tanks in Bay Area makerfaire , if you are local please drop by :)
http://makerfaire.com/maker/entry/60569/

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the thing I wanted to mention is that the 2nd build uses official raspberry pi touch display, which allows me to use the controller straight from the display. Till now I used the display to show charts, and computer of phone to configure / use it, via web browser.

I'm working on a 3rd build which will be fairly same as the 2nd build but with bit better wood working, i messed up the joins, and electronics positioning in the 2nd build, little bit. I'll try my best to create and share a sketch up/ stl file if it's solid .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back