reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I meant to post this some time ago, I still like the DJ8 power strips and they were getting harder and harder to find but low and behold it looks like that is just one of many. It appears that the relay strip is actually made for many other labels, here are some other alternatives, same thing different name:

Eliminator Ez-8
Chauvet SR-8
Ness SP-RP8
Elation SRP8

I am sure there are others and sometimes if searching on ebay 8 channel relay pack will give you more options, just thought I would pass this along for anyone looking for options. :)

p.s. these are near as nice as the one's Rob puts together and sells but still an option.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I meant to post this some time ago, I still like the DJ8 power strips and they were getting harder and harder to find but low and behold it looks like that is just one of many. It appears that the relay strip is actually made for many other labels, here are some other alternatives, same thing different name:

Eliminator Ez-8
Chauvet SR-8
Ness SP-RP8
Elation SRP8

I am sure there are others and sometimes if searching on ebay 8 channel relay pack will give you more options, just thought I would pass this along for anyone looking for options. :)

p.s. these are near as nice as the one's Rob puts together and sells but still an option.
What I meant to say was that these powerstrips are NOT near as nice as @robsworld78 robotank outlets but they do work. :)

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
was playing with my macro lens after a long time....
coco worm ...
DSC_0700_01.jpg

another type of feather duster (forgot the name), one of my favorite
DSC_0685.jpg

myagi tort
DSC_0684.jpg

colors are very subdued by some reason, it looks much brighter in color (blue )
red milipora .
DSC_0719.jpg

alveopora
DSC_0718.jpg

planning to start setting up more pico tanks. now that most of the house work has settled, and post pandemic life is settling in.. i am thinking i should at least start the other tanks. I have the space and all the spare hardware.. theres no point in keeping all those things in shelves. ..and some of the corals in the main display tank will soon need some pruning, which i can use as started corals for the new tanks.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Did you just strip the ends off of these and wire them directly?
i connect the 12v power supply directly through these barrel jack connectors. They are either controlled by reef-pi via kasa. And recently for couple of setups i am directly wiring them through float switch (no reef-pi, no network dependency).

Corals.com

Wolfw28

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My robo tank reef pi comes in Saturday and I'm excited. What pump do you guys use for auto top off?
My robo tank reef pi comes in Saturday and I'm excited. What pump do you guys use for auto top off?
Awesome little pump same pump used by
JBJ

Dual Sensor Nano Auto Top Off - JBJ​

great no problem with lift 5-6ft no problem haven’t tried any higher after buying one form Amazon I bought 4 more from AliExpress for around 5buck a piece. Submersible also

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tom Bishop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use a usb 5v pump from amazon, super easy to power this way :) you can't lift crazy high though..
I'm using the usb pumps also for ATO and agree with the lift height, for me mine dumps into my sump which is pretty much same height, float controlled.

kdx7214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Quick UI suggestion. When you go to calibrate the pH probe, you should be able to do the 7, hit done, then come back and do the 10 when you're ready. I wasted a whole set of calibration fluids today by not knowing that. The calibration fluids for the probe I'm using come in packets and you just set the probe in the packet - so I can't have jars setup before hand.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Quick UI suggestion. When you go to calibrate the pH probe, you should be able to do the 7, hit done, then come back and do the 10 when you're ready. I wasted a whole set of calibration fluids today by not knowing that. The calibration fluids for the probe I'm using come in packets and you just set the probe in the packet - so I can't have jars setup before hand.
I didnt get it, how this led to waste of the calibration fluid? can you elaborate? The ph module is a general purpose one and can be used with any analog sensor. As long as we can keep that semantics possible any improvement suggestion is welcome

kdx7214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I didnt get it, how this led to waste of the calibration fluid? can you elaborate? The ph module is a general purpose one and can be used with any analog sensor. As long as we can keep that semantics possible any improvement suggestion is welcome

I opened a pack, calibrated 7. Hit done. Readied pack of 10 fluid, couldn't calibrate it and since it's a pouch I couldn't set it down. Had to open another package of 7, calibrate 7, and then immediately calibrate another pouch of 10.

This one doesn't use a powder mixed with ro/di to make the solution.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
this rainbow challice is almost 6 years old. its one of my very first coral :) ... i has dozens of mouth now.. back when i first got it, it had only two heads

DSC_0674_01.jpg

macro...

DSC_0707_01.jpg

same coral in 2017,
34222412374_5a06831e52_k.jpg

Tidal Gardens

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I opened a pack, calibrated 7. Hit done. Readied pack of 10 fluid, couldn't calibrate it and since it's a pouch I couldn't set it down. Had to open another package of 7, calibrate 7, and then immediately calibrate another pouch of 10.

This one doesn't use a powder mixed with ro/di to make the solution.
You should use some kind of cup or glass or tube as a stand to put those packets in once open, like a specimen cup that's hanging in your tank for temperature stability for example, or even just a glass on your desk, much more comfortable and stressfree.

And in general, making calibrating both at the same time an optional thing is a weird solution, how often do people hit done by accident when they are not in fact done calibrating (at least after the first time when they learned/ read that that is a bad idea)? If one value has drifted, then in all likelihood both have, so only calibrating one of the two makes pretty much never sense, unless you clicked the done button by accident.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You should use some kind of cup or glass or tube as a stand to put those packets in once open, like a specimen cup that's hanging in your tank for temperature stability for example, or even just a glass on your desk, much more comfortable and stressfree.

And in general, making calibrating both at the same time an optional thing is a weird solution, how often do people hit done by accident when they are not in fact done calibrating (at least after the first time when they learned/ read that that is a bad idea)? If one value has drifted, then in all likelihood both have, so only calibrating one of the two makes pretty much never sense, unless you clicked the done button by
Should we change the calibration ui behavior ? Instead let user specify both observed and expected value ?

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Should we change the calibration ui behavior ? Instead let user specify both observed and expected value ?
I guess what i would do is change the done button to say "Abort" when you open the menu and have that change to "Finish" once you calibrated both points, and have it only save to database in the second case. That would probably cause less confusion. Calibrating the first point and not the second one and then forgetting about it is what i would want to avoid, could be dangerous if there's stuff controlled based on ph

AquaSD

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Since the whole thing is done with modularity in mind, I think it should be a possibility, that would make it easier to be used for other sensors as well. There are also calibration fluids that come at values other than 4.0, 7.0 and 10.0, so would be helpful there as well.

Similar to elysics idea you could change the button label and color based on the amount of points you have calibrated and/or display a message saying "x of 3 points calibrated". Not sure how it looks right now, but I think you should always have both Save and Cancel button in case you drop your last pH solution or something.
So I'm thinking something like:
- no point calibrated: red cancel - disabled save - red message: "0 of 3 points calibrated"
- one point calibrated: red cancel - normal save - orange message "1 of 3 points calibrated"
- 2+3 point calibrated: normal cancel - green save - green message "X of 3 points calibrated"

KonradTO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Since the whole thing is done with modularity in mind, I think it should be a possibility, that would make it easier to be used for other sensors as well. There are also calibration fluids that come at values other than 4.0, 7.0 and 10.0, so would be helpful there as well.

Similar to elysics idea you could change the button label and color based on the amount of points you have calibrated and/or display a message saying "x of 3 points calibrated". Not sure how it looks right now, but I think you should always have both Save and Cancel button in case you drop your last pH solution or something.
So I'm thinking something like:
- no point calibrated: red cancel - disabled save - red message: "0 of 3 points calibrated"
- one point calibrated: red cancel - normal save - orange message "1 of 3 points calibrated"
- 2+3 point calibrated: normal cancel - green save - green message "X of 3 points calibrated"
I never tried but today I will get my ph probe. Can't you already specify the ph value of the calibrating solution? Or you can only calibrate to 4, 7 and 10?

How will you use the R2R App?

• IOS Device

Votes: 277 55.6%
  • Android Device

Votes: 165 33.1%
  • Neither, I'll still use the desktop or mobile version I use now!

Votes: 56 11.2%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT