Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Angel peripherals
How do you tie the USB into the I2C Bus? How difficult would it be to just make a adapter? Maybe on the next revision but might be a good option to have on this model D to test with also.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you tie the USB into the I2C Bus? How difficult would it be to just make a adapter? Maybe on the next revision but might be a good option to have on this model D to test with also.

There are USB<->I2C converters as single chip solutions, but the PC side is usually a custom USB device class. However, its not hard to make a logical bridge. CP2112 or the FTDI variants come to mind.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the details, but it was very straightforward. If you search the Reef Angel forum there is a couple of threads explaining the schematics.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/raspberry-pi-reef-angel-aquarium-controller.15583/
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5575

There are USB<->I2C converters as single chip solutions, but the PC side is usually a custom USB device class. However, its not hard to make a logical bridge. CP2112 or the FTDI variants come to mind.
That is likely to work but also likely to be overkill.

The fact Reef Angel chose and USB port for their I2C hardware is a bit unfortunate, as it causes a lot of confusion when you add it to an device that has real USBs. They simply hooked a female USB port to the I2C bus.

The ideal solution would be to hook the I2C buss in your own connector of choice (preferably not USB) and create an adapter cable with an female USB end.
I will certainly to something like this if I ever do another revision of my PCB.

NewbyREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this geared towards those who know how to code to their liking or will there be some easy GUI for non software folks?
I dont code and cut and paste is all you need and maybe willing to learn how to run python....on raspberry pi, I said that to scare you..hehe...just look for reefpi in google

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact Reef Angel chose and USB port for their I2C hardware is a bit unfortunate, as it causes a lot of confusion when you add it to an device that has real USBs. They simply hooked a female USB port to the I2C bus.

The ideal solution would be to hook the I2C buss in your own connector of choice (preferably not USB) and create an adapter cable with an female USB end.
I will certainly to something like this if I ever do another revision of my PCB.

Neptune uses A type USB, runs CAN over the data lines, and to ensure it will destroy any downstream USB equipment runs 12V over the Vbus line. So even the commercial guys aren't innocent on connector re-use.

Connectors suck :)

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune uses A type USB, runs CAN over the data lines, and to ensure it will destroy any downstream USB equipment runs 12V over the Vbus line. So even the commercial guys aren't innocent on connector re-use.

Connectors suck :)

The connectors don't suck. Manufacturers using them for non-standard purposes are what suck.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connectors suck when you try to match one and cant find any compatible ones...dang beamswork propietary conenctors

Unless you're crazy, there are no proprietary connectors (the cost of tooling, molding, etc isn't worth it at all). The problem is finding the right one, especially if the part is designed from Shenzhen market parts, where a lot of whacky connectors come from :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connectors suck when you try to match one and cant find any compatible ones...dang beamswork propietary conenctors

Is splicing into the wiring going to be an option? From the outside, it looks like it may work.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're crazy, there are no proprietary connectors (the cost of tooling, molding, etc isn't worth it at all). The problem is finding the right one, especially if the part is designed from Shenzhen market parts, where a lot of whacky connectors come from :)
Yes its finding the right ones thats the problem...i may splice, or i just may be confident enough that my planning will work to cut the timers off their cords and use them :)

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious...how's the ATO level sensor circuit going? I'm about to pick up some float switches and cobble together a basic one myself, but if yours is at/near completion, I'd like to give it a go.

boneone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does someone know a switchpack/DJ switch 230V(220V should be ok) relias with europien plug & DB9 controller input^^

might have to build one already found the biggest part & the price is nice
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Free...c9-45f9-8f2a-6b59a23529ce&transAbTest=ae803_3
internal AC/DC CONVERTER 5V 15W like MW IRM-15-5 from my power in...
because the Traco Power DC DC CONVERTER 5V only has 2W might be to low to power all 8 relay

just found: it might be easy to just take a 12V 8 channel relay ;)
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/8-Ka..._expid=5db0f731-d28c-45da-85d0-de27fed0692f-4

@theatrus but how to convert the DB9 plug? so IN1-8 & 1A 12V on pins & GND on metal shield?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus but how to convert the DB9 plug? so IN1-8 & 1A 12V on pins & GND on metal shield?

The shield is left floating right now, but we can add a jumper wire to ground it. The FETs on the control pins are designed for open-drain, when activated they pull the 12V to ground.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus since i'm going to be using a different power controller, I'd like for the on/off status to be shown by LEDs on my enclosure. Can I use the DB9 pins to illuminate an LED, since they're basically just GPIO output pins?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus since i'm going to be using a different power controller, I'd like for the on/off status to be shown by LEDs on my enclosure. Can I use the DB9 pins to illuminate an LED, since they're basically just GPIO output pins?

Use a resistor in series, but totally workable

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFRobot tests:

734a17fd2541ecef5e1be5e8514beeae.jpg

This is using input GP26 (mislabeled as GP19). The resistor is in this case 1.6k (first one I grabbed), but anything from 1k to 2.2k will work. Also, please shorten the leads on the resistor so they don’t short inadvertently (not pictured).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back