cea51c26c92eedc96a1b76ce7133d626.jpg

Better quick snapshot :)
I'll give this a try this weekend

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of level sensors, I wanted to toy with the idea of making USB modules to expand Reef-Pi, base-board or not. I also wanted to experiment using pressure sensors to determine liquid level in arbitrary amounts (think ATO reservoir, 2-part, etc)

As part of the experiment, I knocked this up:

pcb1.png

Its designed to slide into a case:

1455c802rb.jpg

I can inexpensively making face-plates for both sides using acrylic of PCBs them selves, which makes doing cutouts for ports much easier, even if the case is more expensive than plastic (though the aluminum extrusion is extra lux).

So, whats on board?

- ATSAMD21G processor for USB
- Two MPXV7002 pressure sensors (differential). https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPXV7002.pdf for level sensors. I'd bring out the ports via tubing. The idea is to use a rigid piece of airline tubing immersed in the liquid of choice connected via airline back to the module. As liquid level changes, so does the hydrostatic air pressure in the rigid tubing. Using a differential sensor to cancel out atmospheric pressure changes.
- Four pin pluggable terminal block connector for connecting two mechanical float switches
- 4 pin JST XH header to direct connect the IR level sensors
- Misc power bits

Its going to take a bit to get USB support into Reef-Pi, but this will be a cheap but useful way to test the whole idea out. Even though the case is tiny I'm trying to see if I can squeeze something for a DC pump power connector in, but it may be better suited for a bigger version of the case.

Any progress on this? I was going to cobble together a high/low ATO sensor using a couple of float switches, but this has the potential to be a much more elegant solution. Or, if my SMT soldering chops were good enough, I'd use the pressure sensors....

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any progress on this? I was going to cobble together a high/low ATO sensor using a couple of float switches, but this has the potential to be a much more elegant solution. Or, if my SMT soldering chops were good enough, I'd use the pressure sensors....

Had a small vacation in the middle of everything, so small pause. Will order these up next week and report back on the sensors.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from my trip. I'm working on a prioritized burn down list. Some insight:
  1. Publish initial Pico board hook-up guides / documentation.
  2. Finish the hookup decals for the case. Mail out decals to everyone who got a case so far.
  3. Debug and validate Reef-Pi 3.0 work to support all Pico hardware.
  4. Publish an apt-get repository and packages (reef-pi included) for setup of the Pico board in one command.
  5. Finish the level controller PCB and validate sensors
  6. Write initial support for USB devices for Reef-Pi using the 3.0 HAL layer.
  7. (Holding pattern pending Reef-Pi 3.0 release) Pico Board General Availability.
  8. Finish design of dual stepper doser USB board.
  9. Finish design of LED driver single link driver and power injector
  10. More peripherals!
Because I've built a prioritized list, I'm now going to just pick entries at random :troll:

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  2. Finish the hookup decals for the case. Mail out decals to everyone who got a case so far.
  4. Publish an apt-get repository and packages (reef-pi included) for setup of the Pico board in one command.
  7. (Holding pattern pending Reef-Pi 3.0 release) Pico Board General Availability.
  10. More peripherals!
Because I've built a prioritized list, I'm now going to just pick entries at random :troll:

Nice!

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  10. More peripherals!

Out of curiousity - how/where will you source the decals? I'm looking at some way to label my case, but I've got a custom build, and would like something that looks better than handwritten Sharpie :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus did you fix the 10v pwm connector issue where GND was not on sleeve ? I think for public release it will be awesome to pull in the ato circuit (either for float switch or ph to sensors ) , so that folks can just hook up the probes/float switch

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The $65000 question...I have access to a high quality laser printer at work (some gigantic Konica beast)...but I don't think it can print white...so this might not work for me, unless I do black outlined text...

If you want white text on black background, you'll need to fill the space with toner to create your own black. Pretty much all label stock ships as white, or lighter colors, as there is no common white ink in any full color flat stock printing process (now on silk-screen and pad prints, sure... and there are some direct-to-packaging inkjets which can deposit white or at least an undercoat, but this is way more specialized)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus did you fix the 10v pwm connector issue where GND was not on sleeve ? I think for public release it will be awesome to pull in the ato circuit (either for float switch or ph to sensors ) , so that folks can just hook up the probes/float switch

Its queued up for RevE. Let me look into the optical switch header.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If you want white text on black background, you'll need to fill the space with toner to create your own black. Pretty much all label stock ships as white, or lighter colors, as there is no common white ink in any full color flat stock printing process (now on silk-screen and pad prints, sure... and there are some direct-to-packaging inkjets which can deposit white or at least an undercoat, but this is way more specialized)

I'm thinking that finding stencils might be the better path forward on this (spray painting the enclosure, then masking off to spray the stencils in white), given that otherwise, it'll look...meh. The 'power' and 'dc input' symbols might be tough to locate, but I'm going to search around.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I'm thinking that finding stencils might be the better path forward on this (spray painting the enclosure, then masking off to spray the stencils in white), given that otherwise, it'll look...meh. The 'power' and 'dc input' symbols might be tough to locate, but I'm going to search around.

It’s expensive for one offs, but you can get stamps made and use a white ink with them. Consider it a lower resolution pad print.

Also silk screens are much nicer than stencils since you’re not limited to shapes that don’t require support.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some P-touch label printers will do white letters on black labels.
A Brady wire label printer will do the same you can print many sizes on regular label tapes, and as an added bonus you could print those sleeves for the wire ends to label them, and it has all the electrical symbols built in

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some P-touch label printers will do white letters on black labels.
A Brady wire label printer will do the same you can print many sizes on regular label tapes, and as an added bonus you could print those sleeves for the wire ends to label them, and it has all the electrical symbols built in

Good point, you can find white thermal transfer material, though most printers will just print inverse.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s expensive for one offs, but you can get stamps made and use a white ink with them. Consider it a lower resolution pad print.

Also silk screens are much nicer than stencils since you’re not limited to shapes that don’t require support.
Hmmm....are silk screens for one offs reasonably priced?

I might be able to get an aluminum plate made with engraving for $50...

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alpha Software Warning: Don't run on a system you care about - this may change locations, never be updated, break, upgrade your system to broken software, etc. Good for testing on a new Pi if you have one though.

I made a quick set of scripts and new apt-get repository for reef-pi. It syncs from @Ranjib 's GitHub releases, and provides the normal apt-get upgrade/install flow for Reef-Pi.

https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-repopublisher

You can now test (test - in bold) installs and upgrades by running this on your command line on a Raspberry Pi.

curl -s http://repo.blueacro.com/setup.sh | bash

Upgrades to reef-pi can be handled as system updates:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

boneone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am searching for reasons & applications to buy a new toy... 3d printer ;Drool
either labeling with contour (maybe mark it with some color pen) or just glue some labeling prints in other color.

like:
https://pinshape.com/items/12828-3d-printed-raspberry-pi-3-2-and-b-case
https://www.3ders.org/articles/2015...der-is-perfect-for-any-home-and-workshop.html

or/and build a MostlyPrintedCNC :D
(if not crazy enough you can all so add a co2 laser tube ;Woot)
or just mod 3d printer for thin cnc application youtube.com/watch?v=IJxqXk-wdJw

why make it easy when you can have a lot of fun & new toys ;Drool
might sound like a joke but i am actually thinking about this:oops:;Wacky:rolleyes:
not only for this project but there are so many possibilities...
fragraks, chaeto-reactor, algae culturing acrylic tubes, reactor, skimmer, LED case & mount...........

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back