Reefbreeders app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jaondayko1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am definitely interested in either the Apex version or this one, but is this app keeping settings in the cloud or is it local?

I’ve been burned once or twice on companies releasing an app (for non reef related things) and their app stops working since all their stuff is in the cloud vs holding it locally.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I don't know and actually didn't think about that but I did finally figure it all out and it is pretty simple and still don't know why I couldn't figure it out faster haha lol

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am definitely interested in either the Apex version or this one, but is this app keeping settings in the cloud or is it local?

I’ve been burned once or twice on companies releasing an app (for non reef related things) and their app stops working since all their stuff is in the cloud vs holding it locally.
It is cloud based, however settings are saved locally to your light in case there is no internet connection after setup. Also, we plan on keeping this app going for a very long time- more products in addition to the Photons will be app enabled soon. We've been in business 10 years now, and we have a long term contract for maintenance on the cloud servers, we're here to stay.

xylocramer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has played around with the moon light function much. I have mine set to 5% which I think is right at the threshold of even being on. Definitely don't want to over power things, but also would like to have a range of light with the cycles of the moon. Have suggestions on that Logan et al?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 1 percent and thought it was bright but really dont know what it should be.
I noticed if you do the percent then turn on luner cycle? It does not go on every night. But I don't know the luner cycle so maybe that's correct but I think it's one or the other

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 1 percent and thought it was bright but really dont know what it should be.
I noticed if you do the percent then turn on luner cycle? It does not go on every night. But I don't know the luner cycle so maybe that's correct but I think it's one or the other
The lunar cycle is 28 days long. It begins with no light from a new moon, gradually increases in brightness as the moon waxes to the peak intensity of a full moon, and then waning back to the darkness of a new moon.

Sometimes people confuse this with the idea of night lights.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I will try that for a month
I have my lights setup that way and I like it. I have no idea if it's "good" for the coral or not. It certainly can't hurt to replicate the moon. I just think it's cool to watch it change from night to night.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded 3 of 4 RB V2+ lights with Nexas. 2 are paired, the other is independent. Other than the many screws for the initial install I found programming was a breeze and just as easy as my AI. Well worth the upgrade.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be worth it for initially setting up for sure. Not sure if it was worth it for an existing setup. Hoping they add features. Thought the moon phase would be cool, but min setup is cool blue at 1 % so it’s far too bright. Not having buyers remorse, but not super excited either.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be worth it for initially setting up for sure. Not sure if it was worth it for an existing setup. Hoping they add features. Thought the moon phase would be cool, but min setup is cool blue at 1 % so it’s far too bright. Not having buyers remorse, but not super excited either.
I think the biggest benefit for me is if you have multiple lights on different tanks like I do it is much easier to have independent setups. Prior if you accidently hit a remote from another light before it would sync to the incorrect settings. No need to unplug the others from the wall when changing settings on another light.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine today from Marine Depot and got them installed today.

I own 2 of the 50' Photons after removing the 40 screws in the first fixture I attempted a cheat on the second fixture

IMG_20210407_165750.jpg

I only unscrewed the first puck of screws and used pliers and a nut driver to unscrew the standoffs.

Much less painful.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210407_175612.jpg

Back up and running.

Much better. Honestly it took 4 attempts to connect the front fixture to WiFi and 3 attempts on the back.

I've used Hydras and Radions and honestly everyone uses the same stupid way of connecting to the fixture. So not that it was great but not any different than any other brand.

The app is simple but easy to use. MUCH better than the base controller. I hated hover typing over the base controller.

Interested to see what other Reefbreeders product gets added.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Product feedback honestly I am going to put this as the biggest gripe at this point.

1% moonlight on 2 x 50s is bright as heck.
IMG_20210407_222736.jpg

This is 3 days before the new moon. Going to have to figure something out here.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Product feedback honestly I am going to put this as the biggest gripe at this point.

1% moonlight on 2 x 50s is bright as heck.
IMG_20210407_222736.jpg

This is 3 days before the new moon. Going to have to figure something out here.
If you happen to use Tunze pumps as I do they have a moonlight option for $35, PN 7097.050

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine today from Marine Depot and got them installed today.

I own 2 of the 50' Photons after removing the 40 screws in the first fixture I attempted a cheat on the second fixture

IMG_20210407_165750.jpg

I only unscrewed the first puck of screws and used pliers and a nut driver to unscrew the standoffs.

Much less painful.
That is how I do it :) I just recommend removing them all the first go around, as it is easier to access the internals that way. It takes a bit more finesse to do with just 1/2 the screws out. Also- I usually use a power drill to remove the screws, but only ever use a hand screwdriver to put them back in. The screws are stainless and the case is aluminum, so there is potential to strip them if you use a power drill putting them in.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back