NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk (Aussie)

Tank Conditions:

The tank should be at least 75 Gallons but I think a 6' tank would suit them better.
Temp should be 77 - 82 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 10+ Years / Size: 8 - 12" / Cost: $100 - $400 (HOLY COW!) / Reef Safe: With Caution (They will eat inverts)

Behavior:
As big and brute like they sound they are actually pretty shy and can get harassed pretty easily if not put in before the more territorial species like tangs and angelfish. As they are shy providing spaces for them to hang out should be provided, it is best to only have one because if you have more than one they have nowhere to hide because it is in a tank. Talking about reef safe, they are reef safe but they will eat inverts, but others have stated it depends on the personality of the fish just like Angelfish in a reef tank. Coral is perfectly fine but just be careful with inverts and clean up crews.

Tankmates:
I do not recommend mixing Pipefish and Seahorses AT ALL as these can devour food in seconds. Also, it is best to add this before more aggressive such as Tangs, Foxfaces, Eels and etc. Also, if you plan on adding smaller species after the tusk is in is to use a mirror, light off, acclimation boxes, and there are many other resources that can help you if you make this mistake. Also, smaller species such as gobies and smaller will be eaten.

Feeding:
These fish may not eat right like some others I will mention today and tomorrow, getting them to eat might not be hard since they simply cannot resist some feeder ghost shrimp. You can feed them mollies but I again do not suggest this as they have no nutritional value to your tusk fish. Once you do get them eating they will eat anything you put in the tank, even Nori! Somethings you can feed them are Frozen food, Shrimp, Krill, Squid, Clams, Pellets, Flakes, and most anything you give them. Also, should mention that Nori or Vegetables are not sufficient as the Tusk is in fact a Carnivore.

Breeding:
Info on breeding is not high...
Blue Gridled Angelfish
Flame Angelfish
Potters Angelfish
Blue Hippo Tang
Purple Tang
Achilles Tang
White Tail Bristletooth Tang
+ H. Diphreutes
And
Copperbanded Butterflyfish
Well by tomorrow I mean like later in the day for some of you. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heniochus Diphreutes

Tank Condition:

The tank should be at least 125 Gallons.
Temp should be 72 - 78 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 5+ Years / Size: 8.5" / Cost: $70 - $120 / Reef Safe: Yes (May go for small inverts but not often)

Behavior:
These fish are close to H. Acuminatus which are not reef safe, these fish can be put together as they are peaceful and only aggressive towards each other in smaller tanks. Also, they cannot handle aggression so be careful.

Tankmates:
These should not be kept with overly aggressive species.

Feeding:
They may refuse to eat but once you get them to (Not that hard to) they will eat Frozen, Meaty foods, Nori, and pretty much anything you offer it!

Breeding:
Very hard...

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbanded Butterflyfish

Tank Conditions:

Tank size should be between 75 - 125.
Temp should be 72 - 78 Degrees F / PH of 8 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 4+ Years / Size: 8" / Cost: $20 - $60 / Reef Safe: With Caution (Can nip at corals, anemnones, and inverts.)

Behavior:
They are one of the shyest fish yet not attacking tankmates but can be easily bullied, it is recommended to not keep them together with other CBBs. They will jump when threatened so keep a lid, they will eat Apista but they are not fully reef safe as they will nip at coral, anemones, and inverts.

Tankmates:
I would not keep this with fish that will bully it and make it jump. Also, getting outcompeted for food by them (This usually can be done.)

Feeding:
The biggest challenge here is getting them to eat, it can be difficult feeding it if you have big boisterous fish that will out-compete it. Getting these to eat can be finding what they like and feeding them that it until they accept other food you put in there for them. Once you get that only thing you have to do is making them continue to eat. You can feed them Frozen such as Brine Shrimp, clams, mollusk, Bloodworms, and Mysis.

Breeding:
Due to fragility, they have not been bred in captivity.

How to Succeed:
I think it would great to use this sub-topic on most of the fish I am doing today as they are not easy by any means.

1. Find a Healthy Speicemen that you can see eating in the store and looks healthy. (Something besides Brine Shrimp)
2. Keep a lid on as they can jump if threatened or startled
3. Buy in stores as they are not good shippers
4. Feeding should only contain soft foods such as Black Worms, Brine Shrimp, Clams and ETC.
5. Have Clean and Highly Oxygenated Water

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angelfish

Tank Conditions:

The tank should be at least 70 gallons.
Temp should be 75 - 80 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 5 - 7 Years / Size: 4" / Cost: $30 - $80 / Reef Safe: With Caution (They may nip at corals)

Behavior:
These might be aggressive towards other fish (More towards other Dwarf Angelfish), they can also be aggressive towards Dwarf Angels with similar color such as Potters... :( These should also be provided with hideouts. They can also nip at corals so be careful when placing it in a reef tank.

Tankmates:
These should not be kept with Sharks, Rays, Seahorses, and Pipefish. Other Dwarf Angelfish may work in larger tanks such as 125+

Feeding:
These will eat small creatures, algae, Frozen, and pretty much anything you offer it!

Potters Angelfish

Tank Conditions:

The tank should be at least 70 gallons.
The temp should be 72 - 78 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 6 Years / Size: 4" / Cost: $100 / Reef Safe: With Caution (They may nip at corals)

Behavior:
These fish are shyer than Flame Angels and should not be kept with overly aggressive tankmates, again caves should be given for it to hide in. Once you get them eating and established they are pretty hardy.

Tankmates:
Again the thing as the Flame Angelfish.

Feeding:
Same thing as Flame Angelfish, but these can be hard to get eating sometimes. Succeding with this fish is not having overly busy tankmates...

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Regal Angelfish

Tank Conditions:

Temp should be 72 - 80 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 15+ Years / Size: 10" / Cost: $60 - $200 / Reef Safe: With Caution (May nip at corals) (Safer than most Larger Angels)

Behavior:
Regal Angelfish can be bullied by larger and highly aggressive fish if you do plan on putting larger fish than introduce it first and let it claim territory. These are not the hardiest so it is suggested to pick them from the Red Sea, QT is highly suggested with these fish as they do not adapt well. Also, it is suggested not to net these as they can injury their gills. Talking about them with caution in reefs, they might nip at corals but some will not. They will not try to eat inverts, also pairs can be done but solo is suggested.

Tankmates:
They should not be kept with overly aggressive species, stress can shorten their lifespan. Also, do not mix with fast-moving planktivores.

Feeding:
This can be a problem getting them to eat sometimes, enticing them to eat can be done by giving live Ghost Shrimp, or Fresh, or Clam. Once you do get passed this you should be feeding these things like Brine Shrimp, Krill, Mysis, Clams, Nori, Vegetables, Flakes, Pellets, and other things. Live rock should also be there since they do graze it for algae and could help it not starve entirely.

How To Succeed:
1. Buy The Red Sea Variant: They are hardier than their counterparts
2. Find A Juvenile that is about 3 - 4" in size.
3. Do not buy Too skinny or small
4. Make sure it is eating well and has no signs of injury.
5. QT!!!: This is essential for success and should contain hiding places, dimmed lights, and good water quality
6: Having a large selection of food: Also, since they are grazers you can put some food, clip, or put food gel that they might eat off of.
7: When adding provide: Hiding Places, Make sure it is first or there is no aggressive species in the tank before it.
8. When it claims a territory you can start adding more of the Aggressive fish.
9. Watch Your Regal and Enjoy!!!

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Gridled Angelfish / Masjestic Angelfish

Tank Conditions:

Temp should be 72 - 80 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 21+ Years / Cost: $80 - $400 / Reef Safe: With Caution (May nip at coral) (One of the Safer Angels.)

Behavior:
These are usually peaceful towards tankmates but can become aggressive towards other species of angelfish. (This can be avoided by adding them both at the same time as Juves.) They live best solo than in pairs, also provide lots of hiding places and caves for them. Make sure your water is pristine, but after they get eating they are pretty hardy. Again, they must not be netted in the same reason as the Regal, also the same reason why the regal is not fully reef safe.

Tankmates:
They can live with most a lot of fish and should be ok with others Angels but some may be aggressive.

Feeding:
They should be fed food similar to the Regal Angelfish.

How To Succeed:
Just having great parameters can make them thrive!

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness all I have left is
Blue Hippo Tang
Purple Tang
Achilles Tang
White Tail Bristletooth Tang

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo Tang

Tank Conditions:

Tank size should be at least 180 Gallons. (People that say 210... That is only adding height this fish needs length...)
Temp should be 72 - 82 Degrees F / PH of 8 - 8.4 / SG: 1.023 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 8 - 20 Years / Cost: $50 - $300 / Reef Safe: Yes

Behavior:
These are peaceful fish but with other tangs should be added all at once. They are length swimmers so they need at least a 6' tank, also keeping them solo is suggested unless you have a bigger fish. Other than that great fish.

Tankmates:
These should of course not be put with Seahorses and Pipefish, also be careful when mixing tangs.

Feeding:
They will eat things like Frozen, Mysis, Krill, etc. But that is not really what you should be feeding, Algae like Nori is the best thing you can be feeding this fish. Flakes will also work but Nori seems to work the best.

QT:
This is a must as Tangs seem to get Ich very easily as well as tons of other diseases.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tang

Tank Conditions:

Tank size should be at least 100 Gallons
Temp should be 74 - 82 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.021 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 30 - 45 (WOW) / Cost: $69 - $600 / Reef Safe: Yes

Behavior:
They might be aggressive to other tangs if not added at the same time and other tangs of the same genus. Otherwise great fish to own in a reef tank!

Feeding:
Similar to Blue Hippo Tang

QT:
Same as Blue Hippo Tang

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles Tang...

Tank Conditions:

Tank SHOULD be 180 Gallons.
Temp Should be 78 - 82 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.026 / Lifespan: 7+ Years / Cost: $190 - $1k / Reef Safe: Yes / Size: 10"

Behavior:
Achilles is one of the hardest Tangs to keep but not as hard as the Moorish Idol. QT is a must with these species as they are very prone to Ich and other diseases. They can be very aggressive towards other tangs so introducing at the same time is needed. As 4Ford mentioned to me QT, a lot of water flow and a varied diet will help this fish thrive in your aquarium. These are also open swimmers so 6' tanks are the best but 180 being the best of them. Also, highly oxygenated water can help them thrive! Air bubbles will also help as they are found near surge zones, also do not stack your tank of live rock as they need swimming room but also provide hiding places and caves for them. A larger QT would also be great for them!

Tankmates:
I would not keep these with Seahorses, Pipefish, Tangs of the same Genus, Triggerfish, and overly aggressive tankmates.
Make sure to add all tangs at the same time so there will be no aggression.

Feeding:
Sometimes these can be difficult to get eating, using Frozen food can entice this fish to eat. After you do get them eating they should be fed Nori, Pellets, Vegetables and more.

How to Succeed:
1. Find a healthy eating Juve Achilles Tang.
2. Make sure the tang has no damage and is healthy before purchasing.
3. Have a 6' Tank
4. QT
5. A lot of flow and highly oxygenated waters
6. Air bubbles can help
7. Make sure they have a varied diet
8. Have hiding places and open spaces
9. Watch your Achilles Tang Thrive
__________________________________________________-
Wow... Amazing Tang and so much I needed to learn!
@Neptunium93 There we go!
Also, @4FordFamily What do you think? Anything I should add?

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White Tail BristleTooth Tang

Tank Conditions:

The tank size should be at least 75 Gallons
Temp should be 72 - 78 Degrees F / PH of 8.1 - 8.4 / SG: 1.020 - 1.025 / Lifespan: 5+ Years / Cost: $75 - $200 / Size: 6.5" / Reef Safe: Yes

Behavior:
Again these can be aggressive towards other tangs if not introduced at the same time. But is mostly peaceful and is a great colorful tang!

Tankmates:
No Seahorses, Pipefish, and tangs from the same genus.

Feeding:
Should be the same as the rest of the tangs.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone that tuned into my researching and I hope you enjoyed this! I will be using this info for my own tank and you can for yours also!!! Thanks and leave suggestions in the replies!!!

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great subject. Thanks for sharing Are you going to do anymore fish? Angels, tangs and moorish idol preferably

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great subject. Thanks for sharing Are you going to do anymore fish? Angels, tangs and moorish idol preferably
Yeah, I made my stocking list a bit more reef safe so...
About 10+ Wrasses
- Goldflake Angelfish
- Blueline Angelfish
- Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish (If I didn't)
- Emperor Angelfish
- Rock Beauty Angelfish
- Multibar Angelfish
- Flagfin Angelfish
- Black Velvet Angelfish
- Singapore Angelfish
- African Angelfish
- Xanthotis Angelfish
- Black Angelfish
- Naso Tang
- Chocolate Tang
- Yellow Kole Tang
- ETC
I can definitely do Moorish Idol research! I do have a bit of fish that need sponge based diets!

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I made my stocking list a bit more reef safe so...
About 10+ Wrasses
- Goldflake Angelfish
- Blueline Angelfish
- Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish (If I didn't)
- Emperor Angelfish
- Rock Beauty Angelfish
- Multibar Angelfish
- Flagfin Angelfish
- Black Velvet Angelfish
- Singapore Angelfish
- African Angelfish
- Xanthotis Angelfish
- Black Angelfish
- Naso Tang
- Chocolate Tang
- Yellow Kole Tang
- ETC
I can definitely do Moorish Idol research! I do have a bit of fish that need sponge based diets!
Thanks.
How big is your tank? Scribbled angel, as well as the fish that you listed would be awesome

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious, where'd you get the lifespan for flame and potters angels?

that seems pretty short for an angel. not saying you're wrong, just curious

idk if this goes for all centropyges, but i know reefbuilders has an article about a 20+ year old lemonpeel, so i'd guess lifespans would be similar. 5-7 seems much more wrasse level

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/07/12/this-lemonpeel-angelfish-is-old-enough-to-buy-a-beer/
Yeah a bit weird,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back