OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX Can I ask what foods you are feeding?

Hello,

I have fed the same foods for many years now with good success. I feed a combination of Ocean Nutrition Flakes and New Life Spectrum pellets.

Recently, I broke down and started to feed some frozen food. It’s not required, but my fish love it and have noticed a positive response.

You absolutely do not need to feed frozen food for success but I like LRS Feeding Frenzy.

-Sonny

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sonny! I’ve been in and out of the hobby for nearly 30 years also, and I agree with a lot of your (now considered) old school methods.

- Live rock is a must
- I love sand (No bb!)
- All lighting will grow coral, but MH is my favorite

It’s interesting to learn about your success with dosing bacterial supplements, I might give that a try.

I have a 200L system that has the clarity and clean sand yours has, but I achieve it differently. I have three large maxima clams (and lots of bivalve hitchhikers on the LR, still going strong and growing after 1.5 years) that keep the water very clean, and I never touch the DSB, although a conch keeps it spotless. I feed heavily (a frozen food mix I make myself, daily dosing of phyto, zoa, and red sea AB+). I don’t use a filter sock, flocculant, refugium, or skimmer. I do run carbon that’s changed weekly, water changes once a month or less often. PO4 stays around .004, NO3 around .4. Zero pests/algae issues.

I have a 1000L system that isn’t so pristine (hair algae issues, sand tends to get diatoms) despite a massive skimmer, filter socks, the same live rock, lots of clams, and lots more cleanup crew. I’m going to try bacterial dosing in It!

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I played around with a PAR meter to get some readings and settled on that particular orientation. You can’t really see it from the pictures or video but the rock structure under that particular light comes out a bit further than the other two islands.
Is your intensity set at 100%? How far are your lights from the water line? Thanks

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes, I saw he posted his schedule and I did download it. Can’t seem to see what the intensity is without activating it. I’m sure there is a way, but just not sure how to do it. I run AB+ template and have the G5 !5’s

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your intensity set at 100%? How far are your lights from the water line? Thanks

Hi!

lights are 9” from the waterline, XR30’s peak at 80% and XR15’s at 100%. In my first post I have added my möbius schedule. You can import that into your system and adjust the intensity accordingly.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

lights are 9” from the waterline, XR30’s peak at 80% and XR15’s at 100%. In my first post I have added my möbius schedule. You can import that into your system and adjust the intensity accordingly.
Thanks…I have the XR15 blues and as of now I’m running the AB+ template with intensity at 85%. Lights about 8 inches off water and scape pretty low. Just wondering if I should continue to bump up intensity to 100%? I don’t have a par meter.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on mixing the two bacterial products together for dosing purposes?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX Wow…you’re fast…lol
I am, indeed! Generally, done with my water changes and maintenance in about 20 minutes.

-Sand siphoned water change
-filter socks changed
-skimmer cleaned
-glass scraped
-corals adjusted as needed
-Debris blown off rocks
-Pumps scrubbed
-Finish off with some DIY Coral Snow

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downloaded it and activated it, it's nice and clear lighting. I just added HS lights today so it is not very blue at all with those on. I am used to 10000k halides years ago with VHO actinic, this setup seems closer to that with good intensity. I put my schedule intensity at 60%.

Yeah, 10K MH + Actinic Blue is exactly what I was going for with the Radion schedule. The kids can keep their Windex tanks, Im all about the old school daylight look. :p

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your glass so spotless? I have to scrape the beginnings of coralline off the glass with a razor blade daily, and get brown film off the glass at least 2x a day. I always end up missing spots, too.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 10K MH + Actinic Blue is exactly what I was going for with the Radion schedule. The kids can keep their Windex tanks, Im all about the old school daylight look. :p
Agreed but I didn’t think that was even possible with Radions, or any other ‘made for the US market’ LED light. I would assume there’s a big loss in PAR if you turn the blues way down, because aren’t those fixtures mainly blue diodes?

Of course, I keep mainly maxima clams, so achieving 450+ PAR, even on the sand bed, is my goal. I have to use halides and Japanese-based LED fixtures to get that kind of PAR without the windex look.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 8 and looking good!

3FD4D91B-E952-4520-94E6-906A23FF59B6.jpeg

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back