RO/DI Unit Losing Pressure

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking either faulty restrictor/flush valve, or faulty auto-shutoff valve, or both. I've checked all lines. Could a bad ro membrane cause this? It's not old. Replaced last spring.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the flush valve is bad to me - its not fully opening. Does not sound like a bad membrane or bad asov.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you confirm to me that I have mu gauge in the right place? I mean it shouldn't matter because the pressures are definitely opposite of what they used to be. It is just before the ro housing...the in line into the ro house.

I went out and got a needle valve and am trying it in place of the flow restrictor. I'm noticing the same thing. Wide open and pressure is up. Close the valve and the pressure drops. Put the gauge where it was at a 4:1 and pressure were like at 20 or 25. I'm using same water source and no noticable pressure loss. I'm confused.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - if you have only one pressure gauge on the system, it should be installed such that it reads the same pressure the RO membrane gets.
Just FYI - if you have two gauges, you'd put one before the prefilters - when the difference in pressure on the two gauges becomes great enough, that tells you one or more of your prefilters is clogged.

Please give us a call when you are in front of your system. Maybe you have some plumbing on your system that isn't right. If we do this together it will take just a couple of minutes and we can put this mystery to bed.
Russ
513-312-2343

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my set up is right. Been running it about 3 years and havent changed my tube configuration. I replaced the ro membrane last spring. My di resin depleted last week. I noticed the pressure changes when I replenished it this week. I changed out my filter and carbon blocks just to be safe as well. Last night changed tried out the needle valve to if it was a bad flow restrictor. No changes. I just removed the asov to see if it was that. No change in pressures. The only thing I havent changed/check is the ro membrane.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.....I'm the stupidest of the stupidest. After that last message...the one where I said I hadnt changed my tubing. Well after I sent it was just laying here thinking...what's changed?

The only tubing I changed was when I disconnected it from water source and waste line when I was changing filter and carbon block.

Yup...I reconnected them reverse. Was running water in it backwards.

I'm ready for my idiot hat now.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my! Well, I can tell you that you are not the first! Far from it. Chances are your membrane is kaput.... but your tds meter will be the judge of that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back