RODI bypassing 1st stage di resin.

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been making my own water for 10 years now and I've yet to see this happen.

I changed all 5 filters in January, I'm showing 3tds already 4 months later. I checked my di resins and the first stage looks brand new but the second stage has completely changed color.

How is the water bypassing the 1st stage di resin? I know it's hooked up properly the second stage gets the warer directly from the first.

It's a spectrapure 90gpd 5 stage using all spectrapure filters.

Is there supposed to be a gasket in the bottom of the canister where the cartridge meets to create a seal?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the resin separated into different parts, like cation/anion/mixed bed? Or is it multiple canisters of mixed bed resin?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the resin wasn't packed tight enough in the first stage, and the water is channeling through the middle of the resin. You wouldn't see any color change on the outside, but the water would get to the second cartridge.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Maybe the resin wasn't packed tight enough in the first stage, and the water is channeling through the middle of the resin. You wouldn't see any color change on the outside, but the water would get to the second cartridge.
Yes this happens frequently. Be sure to bang it on the counter to get it to settle several times as your filling it. At 1/4 , 1/2, 3/4 and full. It always settles and I can pack more.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or … the rubber grommet on the top of the internal resin cartridge fell off and you didn’t notice. This happened to me once and I could not figure out why the resin was getting bypassed.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would do is check the tds out of the RO and then the first DI cartridge. That way you would know if the 1st cartridge is doing anything and would also tell the condition of the RO membrane. Tap tds would also be helpful.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New filter I just got today on the left, first stage old filter on the right. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there isn't supposed to be any voids, it's an inch or more less than full.

These filters come pre packed from spectrapure. If this happens to the new one I'll be looking to change brands.

Attachments

• 20230420_192730.jpg
    20230420_192730.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 37

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
New filter I just got today on the left, first stage old filter on the right. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there isn't supposed to be any voids, it's an inch or more less than full.

These filters come pre packed from spectrapure. If this happens to the new one I'll be looking to change brands.
Yup not packed correctly, should be no voids. Basically crammed packed overflowing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back