Salt switching - advice please

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Instant Ocean Reef salt, and am considering switching out to a salt(Red Sea Coral Pro), which has different parameters (dkH, Ca, and Mg) - should I gradually be bringing up these values in my reef tank to a level that is in line with the new salt mixture first and for at least a week before switching over? One significant jump is the dkh: currently with the existing salt, I'm getting around 8.1dkh, the new salt says it delivers a 11.5 dkh.

I've never switched salts before, and I want to be sure I do this correctly and not risk losing anything.

Thanks

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Instant Ocean Reef salt, and am considering switching out to a salt(Red Sea Coral Pro), which has different parameters (dkH, Ca, and Mg) - should I gradually be bringing up these values in my reef tank to a level that is in line with the new salt mixture first and for at least a week before switching over? One significant jump is the dkh: currently with the existing salt, I'm getting around 8.1dkh, the new salt says it delivers a 11.5 dkh.

I've never switched salts before, and I want to be sure I do this correctly and not risk losing anything.

Thanks
Just do your regular water changes with the new salt.

Over time the parameters will end up at the new levels.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first be asking why the dkh is so low in the mix? Regular io, and even reef crystals mix to a much higher level from the bucket.

Are you sure your Salinity is correct?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep doing your regular 10%-20% water change, such a small percentage doesn't affect anything.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first be asking why the dkh is so low in the mix? Regular io, and even reef crystals mix to a much higher level from the bucket.

Are you sure your Salinity is correct?
I'm curious what should it be? 100% the salinity is correct - I use 2 reliable instruments to check and both are spot on.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I average 9.5 with regular instant ocean, and Reef Crystals runs higher. Irregardless, just start doing water changes with the new salt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back