Scoly refusing food?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. So I’ve had this scoly for a couple weeks now, always seemed to have feeding tentacles out at night so I fed it a couple times a week cause it was super skinny. Just little tiny meaty pieces. I tried to feed it last night but no matter how long I waited, it never extended the tentacles. The last time I fed it was maybe Wednesday of last week? It should be hungry by now right? The other two scolies (one I’ve had for months and another I added same day as this scoly refused to eat) displayed full tentacles and feeding responses. I even tried gently placing the food just on top of the scoly with all pumps off for a little over 10 minutes with no change. I’m kind of worried now, I’ve never seen a scoly refuse to extend its tentacles and I’ve been keeping them for about 4 months now. Thanks for responses guys! The scoly in question: really trying to get him to fatten up so him refusing food is freaking me out cause he already looks so skinny
6E065478-0174-41A6-A826-82B16D2F17F1.jpeg
66A9CA83-8ADB-43A2-A440-5B7D60D2F9F5.jpeg
3ABBC07B-D108-4663-B1E1-9D401DD4EDFD.jpeg
FF59A805-C6BB-435B-AB43-8417C59FE08D.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn’t look too bad right now. Is it close to that chalice coral? Not sure about your chalice, but mine have some nasty sweeper tentacle that attack softies at night. One jellybean chalice took out half a trachy in one night.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not carnivores. They are capable of getting the majority of their sustenance from light and crap floating in the water column.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not carnivores. They are capable of getting the majority of their sustenance from light and crap floating in the water column.
? I was under the impression that I should be feeding them at least 1 x a week? Really seemed to help my other scoly get to a healthy weight

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look too bad right now. Is it close to that chalice coral? Not sure about your chalice, but mine have some nasty sweeper tentacle that attack softies at night. One jellybean chalice took out half a trachy in one night.

It’s pretty close, should I move it away? I do notice some pretty nasty looking sweepers coming off it at night

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s pretty close, should I move it away? I do notice some pretty nasty looking sweepers coming off it at night
If it’s anything like mine, I would give it space away from the chalice and not take the risk.

also, while they do get most sustenance from light, what I’ve read and experienced with my 3 scolys is periodic feedings avoids the gradual deterioration/decline in aquariums.

hope it opens up soon. you could try things like reef roads or poly-booster into the water column before feeding to see if that triggers a feeding response.

what foods are you using by the way?

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s anything like mine, I would give it space away from the chalice and not take the risk.

also, while they do get most sustenance from light, what I’ve read and experienced with my 3 scolys is periodic feedings avoids the gradual deterioration/decline in aquariums.

hope it opens up soon. you could try things like reef roads or poly-booster into the water column before feeding to see if that triggers a feeding response.

what foods are you using by the way?
I feed them LRS Frozen Nano Reef Frenzy at night. I use this cause the pieces are very small and I feel comfortable enough that they won’t choke on them. I used to do some reefroids but I didn’t feel like that was substantial enough given their size in ratio to the reefroids. Here are my other two Scolies (orange and blue bought Sunday, fantastic eater. Pink bought several months ago, also fantastic eater.) These two will both accept food during the day time if Im patient with them. I’m wondering if maybe this is a different scoly (I know there are like four different species) and I should be taking care of it differently than the other two?
D0EF92BD-E8C5-47FD-974D-65AF1D1E7389.jpeg
AD4CFC50-BE80-42A2-9B75-A4913C9A0183.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed them LRS Frozen Nano Reef Frenzy at night. I use this cause the pieces are very small and I feel comfortable enough that they won’t choke on them. I used to do some reefroids but I didn’t feel like that was substantial enough given their size in ratio to the reefroids. Here are my other two Scolies (orange and blue bought Sunday, fantastic eater. Pink bought several months ago, also fantastic eater.) These two will both accept food during the day time if Im patient with them. I’m wondering if maybe this is a different scoly (I know there are like four different species) and I should be taking care of it differently than the other two?
I use LRS also. I was only suggesting reefroids to trigger the feeding response. Maybe just be patient and look for any deterioration in health. Could want a different light or flow.

So, in that second picture, is that some worm on the back top-right of the scoly? If it is, that could be eating soft flesh if it’s a eunicid worm.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LRS also. I was only suggesting reefroids to trigger the feeding response. Maybe just be patient and look for any deterioration in health. Could want a different light or flow.

So, in that second picture, is that some worm on the back top-right of the scoly? If it is, that could be eating soft flesh if it’s a eunicid worm.
Nope, it’s my starfish. He’s chill, just likes to hang out in that crevice he gets fed plenty and has a perfect record with coral

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday it didn’t open
Tuesday and Wednesday it opened fine and ate a significant amount of Wednesday
Today (Thursday) it’s not opening again

suggestions?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, yes scolymia are carnivores as they do eat meat and are photosynthetic like most corals.

I had a scoly do this to me a lil while ago. I started to feed it a paste of reef roids daily until it started to naturally extend its feeders. Then i resumed feeding it small bits of shrimp like i do the others.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When it’s hungry, it will take it and doetfeed as you may know on suspended food matter . Assure no sand is getting on it and irritating it

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it’s hungry, it will take it and doetfeed as you may know on suspended food matter . Assure no sand is getting on it and irritating it
Barebottom tank, no worries about sand. I just find it weird that my other two scolies extend consistently every night and this one doesn’t. I’m wondering mostly if it’s because it’s a different species (even though we call them all ‘scolies’ Im aware that there are actually 4 species) and that’s why it’s acting different?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Scoly for 5 years now and I have found you only need to feed like once every few weeks. If you see the tentacles out at night then it's feeding time. If you feed too much, the food can rot inside and kill it.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Scoly for 5 years now and I have found you only need to feed like once every few weeks. If you see the tentacles out at night then it's feeding time. If you feed too much, the food can rot inside and kill it.
Yeah always worried about that. I usually start with a piece no more than half the size of my pinky nail for these bigger scolies. If they re extend their tentacles after eating then I give it to them one more time

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely this. My scoly was getting sand dumped on it by a Randall goby and now it’s in scoly ICU
Edit: I just read you have no sand! Wishing you luck though and that it perks back up.
724CB6C4-F197-4EA9-9C44-436BA5BB11F3.jpeg

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely this. My scoly was getting sand dumped on it by a Randall goby and now it’s in scoly ICU
Edit: I just read you have no sand! Wishing you luck though and that it perks back up.
724CB6C4-F197-4EA9-9C44-436BA5BB11F3.jpeg
Wow that’s a lot of die off!!! All of that is from the goby throwing sand on it?! I hope it makes a speedy recovery :) Got any tips for helping them recover from die off? My new orange and blue one has a little bit of skeleton showing on the rim

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a lot of die off!!! All of that is from the goby throwing sand on it?! I hope it makes a speedy recovery :) Got any tips for helping them recover from die off? My new orange and blue one has a little bit of skeleton showing on the rim
Ugh it’s been hard to watch. It’s just kind of hanging on right now. It kept getting sand dumped on it and over time it stopped eating. Then it took a pretty bad turn. I made that cover as a last ditch effort to save it. I don’t really expect it to make it. I’m just trying to keep him protected and spraying aminos around it daily. Idk what else I can really do because it won’t eat.
This guy was awesome when it was healthy
6F11EFC6-FD7E-4388-BEDA-5D8805E6DDCF.jpeg

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh it’s been hard to watch. It’s just kind of hanging on right now. It kept getting sand dumped on it and over time it stopped eating. Then it took a pretty bad turn. I made that cover as a last ditch effort to save it. I don’t really expect it to make it. I’m just trying to keep him protected and spraying aminos around it daily. Idk what else I can really do because it won’t eat.
This guy was awesome when it was healthy
6F11EFC6-FD7E-4388-BEDA-5D8805E6DDCF.jpeg
Wow that’s a really nice scoly!! Beautiful colors, bet it cost a pretty penny! I’d definitely try to save that guy, are you doing anything special care wise for it or are you just gonna cover it and let it do it’s own thing?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back