OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other 1/2 of that torch is now sending out some of the longest sweepers it ever has. Somewhere in the area of 10". It was stinging my pavona so I had to move the pavona back a couple inches. Now the torch is stretching to reach it again....
Wild isnt it? Like they know exactly where and how far to reach....

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1A83F66D-E990-4544-B3C8-F11A66B31699.jpeg

A14743EE-7B9F-450F-9A73-FA5274BB185B.jpeg

BE9996F6-6A08-4B53-8CB7-2942E4CC31F0.jpeg

9E5F471A-4210-4769-9E9F-9BEC6DB33EB8.jpeg

Looking good, @Scurvy !

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some awesome tanks with high numbers. Do you think your bare bottom may be a factor?
I do think its contributing... Not that I test often enough to really know but even before we had 13 fish my Nitrates were higher than I ever saw them in other systems. I feed about as much now as I did in the old tank, maybe a bit more but with the amount of chaeto that grows I feel like these numbers should be lower. It’s healthy chaeto, not melting nutrients back into the water at all from what I can see.

I think its a combination of the under sized skimmer, No sand bed, light rock load and possibly being carbon limited which from what I read will inhibit Denitrification. I think adding sand will be my last resort but for starters I am going to add some more bio media/bacteria and lightly carbon dose. Need to try getting better water flow through the media I already have since I’m not sure its really doing much where it is. And start looking for a skimmer upgrade. I suppose I could add a 2nd skimmer to this system while I look for a new one. Got a Curve 5 on the 40 that’s coming down real soon.

I stocked pretty aggressively getting to 13 fish in about 5 months. I want 3 or 4 more but where these numbers are sitting we need to rain things in some first. I’d be happy at 10-20ppm Nitrate and .1 PO4

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang notifications not coming through, tank is looking good. I've missed so much, chest pics, tattoos, all sorts of good things.
I’m still laughing at the hasselhof crab tattoo and that was a week ago!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think its contributing... Not that I test often enough to really know but even before we had 13 fish my Nitrates were higher than I ever saw them in other systems. I feed about as much now as I did in the old tank, maybe a bit more but with the amount of chaeto that grows I feel like these numbers should be lower. It’s healthy chaeto, not melting nutrients back into the water at all from what I can see.

I think its a combination of the under sized skimmer, No sand bed, light rock load and possibly being carbon limited which from what I read will inhibit Denitrification. I think adding sand will be my last resort but for starters I am going to add some more bio media/bacteria and lightly carbon dose. Need to try getting better water flow through the media I already have since I’m not sure its really doing much where it is. And start looking for a skimmer upgrade. I suppose I could add a 2nd skimmer to this system while I look for a new one. Got a Curve 5 on the 40 that’s coming down real soon.

I stocked pretty aggressively getting to 13 fish in about 5 months. I want 3 or 4 more but where these numbers are sitting we need to rain things in some first. I’d be happy at 10-20ppm Nitrate and .1 PO4

I think stimulating bacteria slightly as you said and adding maybe some possible new strains with a Fritz or Dr. Tim’s would be a good start to bolster your reef.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also running an AWC?
No AWC. Don’t have the space to set something like that up. I generally only store 10g of RODI for top off containers and then make water as needed for WC days. I make 30g in about 5 and half hours so I typically make water Friday after work and do the changes Saturday mornings.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those numbers, it reminds me of my tank around the 4-6 month mark. Could not get them down, then I got LARS(lazy *** reefer syndrom) and let the GHA take over. I think the addition of the Microbacter7 helped me beat those nutrients back and manual removal of my GHA has kept it at bay for a few months now. Maybe some NoPoX and Microbacter combined would be a 1-2 knockout punch. I know Brightwell has a carbon they recommend to use with the bacteria...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think stimulating bacteria slightly as you said and adding maybe some possible new strains with a Fritz or Dr. Tim’s would be a good start to bolster your reef.
I started the system with a couple bottles of Fritz Turbo and have added Microbacter at a couple of different points since but additional diversity is an idea I can get behind. Maybe I’ll add some Dr Tims and/or Prodibio this time through.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those numbers, it reminds me of my tank around the 4-6 month mark. Could not get them down, then I got LARS(lazy *** reefer syndrom) and let the GHA take over. I think the addition of the Microbacter7 helped me beat those nutrients back and manual removal of my GHA has kept it at bay for a few months now. Maybe some NoPoX and Microbacter combined would be a 1-2 knockout punch. I know Brightwell has a carbon they recommend to use with the bacteria...
It’s shocking to me that I don’t have any nuisance algae. The Fuge is where it all happening which is great. I knew my numbers were on the higher side but they were higher than I even anticipated. You would think this high I’d be cleaning the glass daily and fighting back all kinds of crap but nope. None of that. I’ll take a look at Brightwell’s offerings. I’m fairly happy with their export brick but am not so sure if it’s doing anything. Hopefully a carbon source makes a difference. I’m flipping back/forth on which media to bolster with. I’d like to avoid the Marine pure but it’ll slide right into that last baffle perfectly.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be listing some items for sale in the next couple of days but figure I’ll toss it out to friends first. If you’re in the market for any of the following or know anyone that is shoot me a PM.

Ready to go now.

MP-10 WES - 2 years old works perfectly, no frayed/separated cords.
Jaebo DP4 Doser
BRS CO2 Scrubber
Innovative Marine Magnafuge Light. (Older white LED version)
Dual Apex/Alternating Gyre Cable
Red Sea 3 Part dosing powders and Coral Colors A,B,C,D (All 3/4’s Full, Mixed up one batch of the powders)
Tunze Care Magnet Long
12v/DC LED power 4 way splitter
Seneye Monitor/Par Meter (No Web Module)

Coming in the next couple of weeks but not ready to go yet. Shipping will be tricky on the bigger items but doable.

36” 4 Bulb ATI T5 with a single ReefBrite Actinic and Dual Dimmer module. Assorted bulbs new/used
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer
Trigger Saphire 26” Sump
Apex Classic w/ EB8 (No Display)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back