OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corey how do you like external shadow overflow?
Would you do it again?
Thats a tough one. I wont say I dislike it but I do feel I have to sacrifice a little turnover volume to keep it at a decibel level Im comfortable with. If I amp up my return it gets pretty loud and I do feel thats a design flaw somehow. It was worse when I ran the gyres than it is with the MP-40’s.

Id certainly consider Modular Marine if I was to do it all over again. Theres another Im drawing a blank trying to think of as well.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough one. I wont say I dislike it but I do feel I have to sacrifice a little turnover volume to keep it at a decibel level Im comfortable with. If I amp up my return it gets pretty loud and I do feel thats a design flaw somehow. It was worse when I ran the gyres than it is with the MP-40’s.

Id certainly consider Modular Marine if I was to do it all over again. Theres another Im drawing a blank trying to think of as well.
I have read that it’s hard to keep them quiet mostly with high turnover. Not having the internal overflow your tank looks huge and has great benefits aquascaping.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that it’s hard to keep them quiet mostly with high turnover. Not having the internal overflow your tank looks huge and has great benefits aquascaping.
That was the driving force behind going external. It opens up the tank so much more visually IMO. Triton recommends 10x turnover. I’m probably closer to 6x than I am to 10x And it still feels like I’m whipping water through the sump.

I struggled with the Red Sea overflow at times and wound up swapping out that valve for a regular gate valve which helped. For all I know I‘m tuning them all wrong in the first place :)

I should clarify. I would absolutely go external every time. Not sure I’d go with the Synergy Reef one again though. I’d explore other options is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and your family nothing but good health and happiness in 2020!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning we did a 10/12g water change while pulling out the carbon, replacing the GFO and vacuuming the sump of detritus. Also rinsed the course sponge prior to the return section as that was due for a cleaning.

Still have 8/10g of water on hand and will either use in the Biocube tomorrow or pull/harvest and rinse my chaeto. Let’s let the Patriots decide tonight. They win and we mess with Chaeto. They lose and we mess with the Biocube But not til Monday cuz I’ll probably have to drown my sorrows in Jameson.

Go Pats!

4B0A0A95-B1D4-4044-ADCF-B35452D62AF7.gif

E531CFF0-F702-4EB3-A474-7FDCE557B316.gif

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning we did a 10/12g water change while pulling out the carbon, replacing the GFO and vacuuming the sump of detritus. Also rinsed the course sponge prior to the return section as that was due for a cleaning.

Still have 8/10g of water on hand and will either use in the Biocube tomorrow or pull/harvest and rinse my chaeto. Let’s let the Patriots decide tonight. They win and we mess with Chaeto. They lose and we mess with the Biocube But not til Monday cuz I’ll probably have to drown my sorrows in Jameson.

Go Pats!

Are you posting memes of that famous actor you resemble on purpose? Sheesh... :p

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im such a sex symbol in the Aquarium world! Bwahahahah

1578159125011.gif

Oh, and for anyone who dosen't know, Cory looks quite a bit like Matt Dillon...

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Go Pats!

#patsnation baby!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half true to my word I will begin drowning my sorrows shortly. Surprisingly I am out of Jamo so Glen will have to do.

A26DD8EA-A7AC-4823-8A27-EF8EA4AC67B8.jpeg

Gonna rinse chaeto to as if the Pats won. Why? Cuz that’s me defying they lost in my own strange way :(

Happy Sunday all. Football season’s over a month earlier than we’re used to in these parts. What will I do?!?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Football season’s over a month earlier than we’re used to in these parts. What will I do?!?
You'll do what everyone else has done for the past 20 years....Get over it and suck it up buttercup!
No offense but y'all sound like a bunch of lottery winners that blew all their cash and have nothing left to their name.
All joking aside it was a good game until the end, same with the texans/bills game.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll do what everyone else has done for the past 20 years....Get over it and suck it up buttercup!
No offense but y'all sound like a bunch of lottery winners that blew all their cash and have nothing left to their name.
All joking aside it was a good game until the end, same with the texans/bills game.
Sounds about right! I could blow $200 mil in a few minutes Im sure. LoL
In truth hey had no business winning that game the way they played and wouldn’t have gotten past KC or Baltimore this year regardless. Im glad they have an extra month for a change.
Knowing Brady there will be a vengeance tour next year should he re-sign and they retool the offense a bit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back