Sea Spider?? need help identifying

iowacarrie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Johnstown, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I noticed a white, web/sponge-y looking growth on the side of one of my zoanthid colonies so decided to investigate. I discovered it wrapped underneath the rock and when I flipped it over found the underneath to be more than 1/2 covered in the growth. Even more shocking was what crawled out of the "web"... 8 legs, they appear to be sea spiders (there seem to be 4 or 5 on this rock). They are quite small, about 1/2 the size of a dime, and translucent. I'm assuming they will grow larger.

Can anyone help identify (pics attached)? They do not bother the zoanthid they're living under so I'm in no hurry to get rid of them but would love to know what strange little creatures they are.
sea spider 1.jpg
sea spider2.jpg
 
if its in my tank and i dont know what it is... it meets its maker. atleast theres no damage yet- but i'd follow mitchs advice
 
Man that's a zoa eating trantula!!!!! That looks huge compared to other pics I have seen lol...
You need to start dipping and quarantine all your corals....:(
 
coral rx will kill them in one strong dip. but i would get them out asap they will wipe out zoa's fast i killed one on a frag i got a few months back my gf actually plucked it out with some tweezers
 
They are for sure sea spiders.......i cought one while i was down in the keys
Sea spiders love to eat zoas

I would take the advice above about how to get rid of them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new