OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting a discoma and Yuma mushroom for my tank. Looking at the pictures here I'm guessing that I don't have to worry a bunch about them growing together right. I'd like to put them on opposite sides of a rock but it will only be about 3 inches apart
It's been a mixed bag of feedback on placing them together. I've kept most of them apart with the idea that they'll take over there respective rocks. From what I've seen discos seem to be quicker movers than ricordias.

@LRT any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms are all still in qt and just individual, so no garden yet. Here are some pictures of past gardens.

DSC_4624a.jpg IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3978.JPG
Awesome I love how they bunch up like that at first glance I thought those were flavia or acans... but they are a great grouping of yumas :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a mixed bag of feedback on placing them together. I've kept most of them apart with the idea that they'll take over there respective rocks. From what I've seen discos seem to be quicker movers than ricordias.

@LRT any thoughts on that?
Honestly I try to keep all my same species housed together. From what I'm seeing both species can be invasive and I'm pretty sure I seen some nasty ricordias in that coral vs coral thread. I'm able to move mine around on my racks right now when they start to get a little to close.
3 inches may not be enough especially when they start getting bigger.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT Was gonna share this with ya. Found this at our LFS yesterday. Two on the rock $20, wash is about a 1”... lights are still in wake up mode but the green on this shroom is brilliant. in QT waiting for main tank clearance lol
1591985563823.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT Was gonna share this with ya. Found this at our LFS yesterday. Two on the rock $20, wash is about a 1”... lights are still in wake up mode but the green on this shroom is brilliant. in QT waiting for main tank clearance lol
1591985563823.jpeg
Nice grab looks like you snagged up a cpl JF minecrafts!
Is the cap similar to this color @BighohoReef ?
Sure does look like identical bouncy bubbles and vesicles.

20200518_175435.jpg
On edit that picture sucked heres a better one!
20200424_165103.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice grab looks like you snagged up a cpl JF minecrafts!
Is the cap similar to this color @BighohoReef ?
Sure does look like identical bouncy bubbles and vesicles.

20200518_175435.jpg
Yes! Ever since I saw yours I've been on the hunt, Jeff at our LFS said they'd forgotten they had it in the DT. It had been sitting hiding behind a rock, they only found it because they were moving things around.

I'll get a better picture of it once the lights go higher. I've been trying to figure out how to get my mushrooms to move I'd like for them to flatten out on a surface... minds of their own :confused:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Ever since I saw yours I've been on the hunt, Jeff at our LFS said they'd forgotten they had it in the DT. It had been sitting hiding behind a rock, they only found it because they were moving things around.

I'll get a better picture of it once the lights go higher. I've been trying to figure out how to get my mushrooms to move I'd like for them to flatten out on a surface... minds of their own :confused:
That's awesome they just found it hiding lol. I edited and posted a better pic for you that one was kinda disrespectful to the shroom haha. Mine was close to 5 inches before I cut it in half. Lost the cut but thank coral gods my mom lived and has healed up nicely.
And yeah I've been playing alot with light and flow. They will walk with a little flow.
To little light makes them cup and reach for the lamp.
Just the right amount of light they will flatten out. But they dont all like the same light lol.
I really need to get my hands on a par meter to get things dialed in it's been on my to do list for awhile now!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yours is still better-looking than what I got. I remember reading about your challenge with it, thank goodness the mother pulled through!!! The flow thing is a constant challenge, I've been trying to wall a portion of the rock work off to protect the shrooms from the gyre flow so they, sadly there was a buildup of detritus in that area so it's back to the drawing board.

I highly recommend the par meter helps with placement in the tank (rented it), at the substrate and corner where the shrooms are living par ranges between 60-90 depending on the time... I will say this the JB has done well in its new spot spreading out larger than I've seen it, fingers crossed it has enough rockwork to propagate on.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yours is still better-looking than what I got. I remember reading about your challenge with it, thank goodness the mother pulled through!!! The flow thing is a constant challenge, I've been trying to wall a portion of the rock work off to protect the shrooms from the gyre flow so they, sadly there was a buildup of detritus in that area so it's back to the drawing board.

I highly recommend the par meter helps with placement in the tank (rented it), at the substrate and corner where the shrooms are living par ranges between 60-90 depending on the time... I will say this the JB has done well in its new spot spreading out larger than I've seen it, fingers crossed it has enough rockwork to propagate on.
How much par do you have your JB under?
My Poletti is a reacher seems like it cant get enough.
However the ones I fried I just cant seem to get right!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much par do you have your JB under?
My Poletti is a reacher seems like it cant get enough.
However the ones I fried I just cant seem to get right!

At peak time, the JB sits under about 80-90 par. XR30s are running on a custom light schedule I found on Melev's reef ( I tweaked it to reduce the exposure) We did add the OR3 120 blue light bar a few weeks ago which spiked the par at the top of the tank but didn't seem to impact it a whole lot at the substrate.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I try to keep all my same species housed together. From what I'm seeing both species can be invasive and I'm pretty sure I seen some nasty ricordias in that coral vs coral thread. I'm able to move mine around on my racks right now when they start to get a little to close.
3 inches may not be enough especially when they start getting bigger.
Ok I'll plan to have them separate in the tank I have a space for each. Thanks. I hoped they would be good together but it worth the risk.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll plan to have them separate in the tank I have a space for each. Thanks. I hoped they would be good together but it worth the risk.
Better safe than sorry right? I've seen people not have issues mixing things up and I've seen catastrophes.
I'm on frag racks and plugs so it's easy for me to move things around.
I'm about to convert a cpl tables into shroom gardens and plan on keeping same species housed in close proximity but I will still be able to move things around if need be.
In a fixed tank system all my shrooms would have plenty enough room to live and grow.
My needs and requirements differ a little here I just have more room for error.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks looking for some mushroom corals to get this weekend.. Inspire me to buy more softie corals!!! (PS It's also easier to send these links to my wife and daughter :) )
giphy.gif

Looking for a father's day mushroom garden thread revival!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BighohoReef I did it man!
Crappy pictures and Still a huge work in progress but digging how its turning out :)
Started new build thread in frag section.
20200618_140932.jpg
20200616_132107.jpg
20200616_132101.jpg
20200616_132029.jpg
20200616_132014.jpg
20200616_131304.jpg
20200616_131250.jpg
20200616_131240.jpg
20200616_130710.jpg
20200616_131058.jpg
That is awesome! I'm tempted to start a new project this weekend :) I have so many questions... What are you going to do with the right tub? Are you going to use a wavemaker at all? I can't wait to see you mushrooms take over. So simple yet genius!

DCoralJunkee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had to be done! The shroom box really came thru for me when I needed it to but I had to release all this fire into my main display and what a difference! All these post on this thread inspired me to pull the trigger, thanks to y'all!!! Haha

IMG_20200629_174235829.jpg IMG_20200630_142640549_HDR.jpg IMG_20200630_142626470_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a ton of fire! Had they all propagated on there own?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I'm tempted to start a new project this weekend :) I have so many questions... What are you going to do with the right tub? Are you going to use a wavemaker at all? I can't wait to see you mushrooms take over. So simple yet genius!
Hey Big it has come along way since those pictures :) Both Tubs are pretty much filled up with a few I still need to transfer over. Since I added the middle equalizer pipes its added a ton more flow through the system. May have to take a video to show it but maybe to much flow now. I do have a small power head aimed at surface for flow through each tub. Flow is pretty much stabilized now. No dead spots. Nothing sitting on surface.
My main battle now is nuisance algae on new crushed coral. Other than that it's working like a charm.
Finally! The equalizer pipes made this whole system work.
20200701_104337.jpg
20200701_104323.jpg
20200701_104309.jpg

DCoralJunkee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a ton of fire! Had they all propagated on there own?

My main display was a new build and shroom-less, I started first with my iron mans then one JB at a time (per day)... They all opened up a third more than when they were in the box! Loving the results!!!

Back