Sinking/suspending pellet foods

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions on sinking or suspending pellet foods? I would like to feed my fish some pellet food between frozen cube feedings. I would like to use the pellets in an auto feeder I currently have. I tried the Hikari s pellets which are not a sinking food. The issue is that a lot of the pellets find there way to the overflow before being eaten plus my anthias won’t feed on the surface. I have 2 other clowns which will eat from the surface. I’m also looking for a smaller sized pellet.

Thanks, John

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use spectrum from time to time, but my fish are spoiled with frozen...
They only eat the pellets when they haven’t been fed all day

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a variety of omega one pellets but drop them into one of these so they have time to sink(I don’t use the cone part)

26cf12aac4af9e7f330e70a1156aaf6b.jpg

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s strange to me that your anthias won’t eat off the surface. I use ocean nutrition flake prime reef and #2 in my auto feeder and my lyretail and Bartlett anthias all go crazy attacking the flakes floating on the surface every time. I’ve been trying to switch to pellets in the auto feeder for more consistent portion sizes. Recently (couple days) been trying ocean nutrition #1 and #2 pellets. These are small, hard, and sink, but my fish have not taken to them just yet so I’m following along with this thread.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my anthias really wants frozen mysis but it will eat pellets if they have sunk and are in current. It’s fed pretty well since it like to do some pod hunting.

So the foods suggested so far will start sinking almost immediately or do they need to absorb some water first?

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the are just called fish feeders and they are the lee brand. Only a couple bucks on eBay or some local shops.

They make better looking ones like this if you want to spend the money but you really can’t see them unless you have a rimless tank. I like the cheap ones because you don’t have to use the cone(although I’ve found other uses for them lol)
60d973abc0cca31b32118a65f5a8273a.png
5d8f193d1dae901c5bbf8376d9c65d99.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best solution but I usually stir the water to get them to sink

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those called?
They are black worm feeders for feeding fresh water fish fresh water blackworms. The cone keeps.the blackworms from just falling into the gravel and gives the freshwater fish a chance to gobble them up as they work their way out.

We feed our copperband butterfly fish freshwater black worms by hand several times a day on Paul B's recommendation.
The copperband loves them. Lol, so does everything else. The copperband and the clownfish will gobble it straight off my fingers after the 2nd month of feeding blackworms.

Turns out the freshwater black worms die within about 30 seconds in salt water and never made it out of the cone.
[emoji53]

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew the salinity would effect them in such a way. I use mine for detritus and grindals. I haven’t even tried those in saltwater.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew the salinity would effect them in such a way. I use mine for detritus and grindals. I haven’t even tried those in saltwater.
Do you intentionally keep black worms in your fresh water tank?

How does that work?

Are they a vector for disease?

Thanks

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have before, and if the worms themselves are from a good source, you shouldn’t worry about diseases. They will stay in the substrate and come up for eating and air, and the fish will gobble them up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have before, and if the worms themselves are from a good source, you shouldn’t worry about diseases. They will stay in the substrate and come up for eating and air, and the fish will gobble them up.
My wife keeps live blackworms in her freshwater tank. They live in the substrate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back