SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted to skip the handles, but it was driving me crazy needing to go get a tool to pry open the doors all the time...so I broke down and installed some 316 marine grade stainless handles.

IMG_4155.jpeg

I think they look OK, not sure if I will put any on the sides though.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found two more mollies in the filter sock this morning...I'm starting to think it wasn't as great an idea as I originally thought...at least if you have an Exotic Marine overflow with the large slots meant to be silent...

They swim around just fine afterwards, but you can see some of their scales are damaged and one has a hurt fin.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several days of scooping Mollies out of the filter socks, I decided to just put them in the fuge for now. They are pretty beat up and I lost one last night that got stuck in the gate valve...

These three are still ticking, despite the missing scales around their gills. Hopefully they will recover in there.

IMG_4177.jpeg
IMG_4182.jpeg

(With and without the brown filter in the sump)

Also cleaned up the sides of the fuge while I was in there, and added few pieces of macroalgae from the invert QT to see how they do.

IMG_4184.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some pictures of the fish after adding vitamin-enriched nori this afternoon. Several came out fairly good.

IMG_4194.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

IMG_4198.jpeg

I hope that spot behind the eye of the Purple Tang is not HLLE...or that it doesn't progress more...It looks like a patch of missing scales, and there are no other obvious marks on him.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow a lot has happened! I haven’t been getting update notifications on your build... what gives R2R? They must not like me lol:confused:
I completely understand your frustration on the stand panel doors and having to install handles. What’s next on the list for livestock orders?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow a lot has happened! I haven’t been getting update notifications on your build... what gives R2R? They must not like me lol:confused:
I completely understand your frustration on the stand panel doors and having to install handles. What’s next on the list for livestock orders?
Several people have mentioned update issues, don't know.

I'm going to look at next fish right after the holidays. I really want a Blue Hippo Tang, but they have been out of stock captive-bred for about 6 months or more now, I can't find them anywhere. Otherwise, a couple of dwarf angels maybe, gobies, and I'm considering a small school of Chalk Bass.

I can't wait to see more Tangs and eventually Anthias as captive-bred as well...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the one-year anniversary of the tank being delivered!

I am a little disappointed that I'm only as far as I am with it. Though, it was basically summer before I even had water in it. Hopefully, the new year won't have as many major setbacks...

ghafzy9AQPigik2cDD24SA_thumb_7126.jpg

Merry Christmas day, Ski

You have come along way and taught us many things during your journey.

You have done things right and it's a pleasure to watch your build come together.

Do your thing and we will keep tagging along.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas day, Ski

You have come along way and taught us many things during your journey.

You have done things right and it's a pleasure to watch your build come together.

Do your thing and we will keep tagging along.
Thanks so much! Happy holidays!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bit of a deep clean this weekend, so I decided to try out taking some Apple ProRAW Images with the new phone. It actually makes quite a difference, especially when correcting black levels and removing haze.

A couple of the clearest so far of the Rabbit Fish

IMG_4294.jpeg

Here partially in his "I'm dead" coloring.

IMG_4340.jpeg

It's really hard to get a good picture of the Purple Tang. He's very fast, and is always just a blur in the background...

IMG_4320.jpeg

I got this lucky shot of the Starry Blenny, he does come out all the time, he's just shy when the camera comes out.

IMG_4292.jpeg

I didn't get many good shots of the Clownfish, as nearly every one is either blurry, or the Rabbit Fish is photo bombing in front of him...

IMG_4328.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing a few others do the same, I ordered some John Guest fittings for the DOS. I think it was leaking air just a bit and the AWC was getting off slightly. I did have to use a bit of Teflon tape on the threads to get it sealed, but otherwise, it shows no signs of leaking after a couple days.

IMG_4373.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing a few others do the same, I ordered some John Guest fittings for the DOS. I think it was leaking air just a bit and the AWC was getting off slightly. I did have to use a bit of Teflon tape on the threads to get it sealed, but otherwise, it shows no signs of leaking after a couple days.

IMG_4373.jpeg

Looks sweet, Ski

Watch... ;Cyclops that @SPR1968 dude, (lol) he gives me the creeps... :p

Happy New Year!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back