SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits of placing a mirror? Are you saying that the fish will be distracted by their own appearance and thus prevent actual fights between them from happening?
Yes, it is quite effective in my experience. Most fish will pay so much attention to the fish in the mirror, that they forget to fight with the other real fish...or at least they will split their time, which still benefits.

I like to move the mirrors around every day or so, so it appears like that mystery fish is coming from a different direction. Also, some fish will pace so much constantly back and forth across the mirror, that I fear they will wear themselves out...so maybe remove the mirror for a period so they get a rest.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX I like your use of all the different colors of airline tubing for your dosing lines. I’m going to do that too. Getting the airline directly from Cobalt, they have all the colors and I can get them at the same time. Do you you use zip ties to secure them? Your zip ties for that must be really small. Link for small zip ties?
Yes, there is so much tubing that I would never be able to trace it if they were all the same color. Some of that tubing is the Cobalt brand. Though note that they pack them bent back and forth, so you'll likely have to stretch them out for a few days to get the kinks out before they will work correctly. I wish they would wind them in a circle instead.

If you get the fluorescent version they glow in UV, which is cool too.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX I like your use of all the different colors of airline tubing for your dosing lines. I’m going to do that too. Getting the airline directly from Cobalt, they have all the colors and I can get them at the same time. Do you you use zip ties to secure them? Your zip ties for that must be really small. Link for small zip ties?
Oh, and I am pretty sure I got the zip ties at Lowes in the electrical section with the wire cutters and shrink tubing.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a bare bottom build thread using tiles for the substrate, and then my algae-covered sand and had a thought...I have an extra pack of tiles to be used for frags...

IMG_3654.jpeg

It's temporary, and I can move them around or flip them over, but it doesn't look any worse than the algae lawn does!

IMG_3659.jpeg

Maybe there will be some white sand underneath when I move them...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! I know that algae can really be a bear sometimes to make it through. Very nice build.
Yep, quite a pain. I was hoping 140 or so snails would put a dent it in...but even they can't keep up. I need to get the fish back in...

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting for the new stand, I decided to do a bit of experimentation. Since I had never installed a hinge, or threaded steel for machine screws I figured I should do a test run first.

I bought some 304 stainless steel face frame quick-disconnect hinges for the doors of the stand. I would have used marine grade 316 stainless, but I couldn't find the type of hinge that I wanted in that grade, so settled for these. They're still better than standard stainless or or metals that would corrode dangerous metals into the water.

Note that, if you are looking for stainless steel hinges on some sites like Amazon, be aware of terms like "stainless steel nickel plated" or similar, as they are often actually nickel plated zinc or galvanised hinges with a "stainless steel" pinned damper. So, while the shock absorber inside the hinge might contain a stainless rod, the actual hinge will corrode quickly, releasing nickel, zinc, and other metal oxides into your sump...

I drilled a 1/2" deep hole with a drill press for the inset hinge in the mock door panel (don't mind the cracked wood piece, it was just a scrap for this test run. Same with the stand, it will be scrapped when I get the new stand with the correct dimensions).

4EdVr%LGT1uz+Mj1dcE8Nw_thumb_7181.jpg

Part of the hinge fits down into the hole when the door is closed.

ASAJicKiT4y6j8xsirFC9A_thumb_717d.jpg
mwLDSoDpTgS17dRPMt+oSA_thumb_717a.jpg

Then drill the stand and tap for #8 32 threads. With some machine oil this was very simple and easy, I was expecting more force and effort to be needed. I guess with a small thread it's not so bad.

FcZ7+GTwSYe30jVMfcOFUg_thumb_717c.jpg
a8PCwI+HQtS5I5C3LF+6Zw_thumb_7180.jpg

Then just attach with stainless machine screws.

5Z5kquFeQIa5q1chhQLtYA_thumb_717e.jpg

And, best of all, the door will detach with a push of a button on the back of the hinge for servicing! This way, I can just open the door if I need to quickly access the sump, but can completely remove all the doors when doing more involved work. I know many people just use removable panels, but I find it annoying to have to remove and store the panels somewhere every time I just need to access a switch, or grab something from under the tank...

FE4eOvdCRF2x2IC5327fqA_thumb_717f.jpg
@SkiCatTX I love these hinges! Stainless and detachable! Never thought of that.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for additional things I can do while waiting for the stand, I cut the pipe and created the Durso/Bean Animal overflow fixtures. That consists of one full syphon, one partial with just a small flow, and another emergency drain that normally doesn't drain any water, but will if the others back up. I might have to adjust the heights once I have water flowing, but these are at least close.

MCBQG+eSQ8mvHzRlGnJM+A_thumb_7185.jpg

I will use black PVC with Schedule 80 fittings for the drain to the sump, but since these are inside the white overflow box, I went with white. Just a bit of acetone and they clean up nicely, no unsightly black markings, and it doesn't rough up the surface at all.

8wfSGVF8QVqTXLMXPmLEjg_thumb_7183.jpg

If only I could get white ABS bulkheads... :(
@SkiCatTX another great idea. getting marks off of standard PVC pipe. Didn't know it would come off.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX another great idea. getting marks off of standard PVC pipe. Didn't know it would come off.
Yep, comes right off in seconds. It does leave the surface a bit dull and though, so wipe it evenly, and don't use it on pipe or fittings that you want to be shiny.

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, I really like the aquascape.

On the bottom leftish of the pics bellow, what are those cages or baskets? I noticed you had one on the above rock in an earlier pic too. Was that an anemone cage?

FTS from phone after dark, white light only.

IMG_3356.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, I really like the aquascape.

On the bottom leftish of the pics bellow, what are those cages or baskets? I noticed you had one on the above rock in an earlier pic too. Was that an anemone cage?
Yes, that's actually some small glass vases with 1/4" nylon netting rubber-banded over the top.

Anemone Jail. lol

I have about 10+ Rainbow BTAs that I need to get rid of. I was going to sell them at some point, but I was waiting for them to color up a bit after they bleached somewhat in QT while waiting for the tank to cycle.

I originally put the two largest ones in the tank, which have now become 5. They can be difficult to get back out once they are loose unless they disconnect and start tumbling around. If I catch them before they get caught in a power head, I'll add them to the vase.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone jail. I like it lol.

I'd be interested in one of those rainbow bubble tips but I want to upgrade my lighting first before I get a nem and that's just not happening soon. My little clownfish buddy's just going to have to wait. :)
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I think it was @FarmerTy that I first heard using that term...I use it all the time now!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting on the Refugium setup soon, and I'm getting a tiny bit of growth already in the Nitrate dosing container, so I decided to put some gaffer tape over the bottle when I cleaned it to block the light.

IMG_3715.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

This doesn't happen in the Phosphate container, probably because I'm using a commercial Phosphorous that's likely sterile, and for the Nitrate, I'm currently using a Potassium Nitrate fertilizer that might have organics in it.

IMG_3716.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the fish out of Copper Power last week, into another completely clean tank that I had running with new bacteria for a while. They will have to stay there for the remainder 6-7 weeks the display is fallow at 82'F.

I finally managed to get a few minutes to take some fairly good pictures with the new iPhone this weekend.

This is the best pic of the Gold-Lined Rabbitfish yet, with his normal coloring, not the "I'm dead don't eat me" look he normally sports with his color-changing skin. Amazingly, he's turning into quite the character. He now practically climbs out of the tank when he sees me preparing the nori clip, and starts splashing and eating it before it's in place on the glass...like a piranha or something!

IMG_3680.jpeg

The Purple Tang is still quite shy. He will swim around the tank, but hides at the first sight of danger, a real pain to get a clear picture. He never stops moving out in the open.

IMG_3684.jpeg

Storm on the other hand is always front and center. It's difficult to take any pictures "without" him in them. No matter where I put the lens, he's right there wiggling in front of it...

IMG_3700.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the fish out of Copper Power last week, into another completely clean tank that I had running with new bacteria for a while. They will have to stay there for the remainder 6-7 weeks the display is fallow at 82'F.

I finally managed to get a few minutes to take some fairly good pictures with the new iPhone this weekend.

This is the best pic of the Gold-Lined Rabbitfish yet, with his normal coloring, not the "I'm dead don't eat me" look he normally sports with his color-changing skin. Amazingly, he's turning into quite the character. He now practically climbs out of the tank when he sees me preparing the nori clip, and starts splashing and eating it before it's in place on the glass...like a piranha or something!

IMG_3680.jpeg

The Purple Tang is still quite shy. He will swim around the tank, but hides at the first sight of danger, a real pain to get a clear picture. He never stops moving out in the open.

IMG_3684.jpeg

Storm on the other hand is always front and center. It's difficult to take any pictures "without" him in them. No matter where I put the lens, he's right there wiggling in front of it...

IMG_3700.jpeg
@SkiCatTX I saw in one of your posts you used clamp-on or solder-on plug receptacles for DIY Apex 24V accessory cables. Could you please tell me which post was that?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back