Skimmer Q&A Thread

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Octo eSsene 130 and I have it set to the water height it shows in the instruction manual and I set the valve to 16(Open) before starting the skimmer. It has been running now for 24 hours and it is still producing tons of foam . When I try to close the valve the foam increases. Is this typical with a new skimmer or is something else causing it to do this? These are no fish or coral in the tank and the tank has been cycling for about 5 weeks. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using live rock, skimmers will usually overfoam due to removing the die off from the rock during cycling. With this being a new skimmer it may be exacerbating the foaming issue.

i would suggest either riding it out and if the skimmer has a drain on the bottom of the cup, leave it unpluged so as the cup fill it will flush back into the tank. skimmer will need to get coated inside before it settles down.

the other option would be to get a cheap light diffuser panel from lowes or HD and cut then zip tie a small stand to raise it a bit until it settles down.

you mention when you close the valve you get more foam. The effluent valve (internal water height adjustment) or the air valve?

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using live rock, skimmers will usually overfoam due to removing the die off from the rock during cycling. With this being a new skimmer it may be exacerbating the foaming issue.

i would suggest either riding it out and if the skimmer has a drain on the bottom of the cup, leave it unpluged so as the cup fill it will flush back into the tank. skimmer will need to get coated inside before it settles down.

the other option would be to get a cheap light diffuser panel from lowes or HD and cut then zip tie a small stand to raise it a bit until it settles down.

you mention when you close the valve you get more foam. The effluent valve (internal water height adjustment) or the air valve?

I’m sorry I should have mentioned I am using dry rock and not love rock.
In the instructions it says adjust the valve to adjust the water level, so I guess it would be the effluent valve.
I will let it run for a day or so with the drain plug pulled and if it doesn’t calm down I’ll pick up some diffuser.

Thanks for all the help!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4

it doesn't appear that skimmer has an air valve but one could always be added if push comes to shove. i would just proceed with letting it settle in a bit and raising it if it still doesn't help.

many people running Octo skimmers run below the recommended level. Especially the space saver models.

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4

it doesn't appear that skimmer has an air valve but one could always be added if push comes to shove. i would just proceed with letting it settle in a bit and raising it if it still doesn't help.

many people running Octo skimmers run below the recommended level. Especially the space saver models.

Thank you again and I’ll let you know how it goes.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few pieces of light diffuser under the skimmer and it is working great. Thank you!
that's great!

pleasure to help!

cool thing about diffuser is it allows for flow better than pre-made stands and you can make around 3 stands from one piece.

i did one inch, two inch and 3 inch at only the cost of the panel which is like 12 bucks

happy skimming!!!!!

Dlamont01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been beat and everyone is tired of it so I’m sorry in advance, but I just got my RO 150sss in and I’m not sure if I put it together incorrectly or what but it overflows out the collection cup with bubbles and eventually water. It puts a lot of micro bubbles into sump as well. I have tried from 7 inches to 9 inches and from running it at minimum to maximum. The intake hose is not hooked to the silencer. After break in do the bubbles slow down or am I missing something?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reeftivo, looking for a external skimmer rated for about 400 gallons with heavy bio load. Got a budget of $400-500. Any input? The Sump’s I have have limited space. Thanks for your help

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reeftivo, looking for a external skimmer rated for about 400 gallons with heavy bio load. Got a budget of $400-500. Any input? The Sump’s I have have limited space. Thanks for your help
sorry, but i have no personal experience with externals so hopefully someone else will chime in.

i have read many threads about the SRO externals getting solid reviews but that would be out of you price range unless you can find one on the used equipment forums.

may want to check out bashsea twisted skimmers too. they are very affordable. Not a lot of reviews but the ones i've seen are good.

sorry i couldn't be of more help.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been beat and everyone is tired of it so I’m sorry in advance, but I just got my RO 150sss in and I’m not sure if I put it together incorrectly or what but it overflows out the collection cup with bubbles and eventually water. It puts a lot of micro bubbles into sump as well. I have tried from 7 inches to 9 inches and from running it at minimum to maximum. The intake hose is not hooked to the silencer. After break in do the bubbles slow down or am I missing something?
try raising it to 6.5. it should still perform well and let you tune it better

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with Eshops X-160 if so do you think it would be a good skimmer for 150 gallon tank?
Thanks in advance

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the current recommendation for a 30g tank skimmer? I’m looking to pick up a waterbox 45.2 which has a 29.6gallon tank. I extect to have 3-4 fish and mostly corral. A lot of skimmers seem way oversized for this application. I’m not super price sensitive but I’m looking for something that works well and is reliable.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with Eshops X-160 if so do you think it would be a good skimmer for 150 gallon tank?
Thanks in advance
Simplicity 240DC
What’s the current recommendation for a 30g tank skimmer? I’m looking to pick up a waterbox 45.2 which has a 29.6gallon tank. I extect to have 3-4 fish and mostly corral. A lot of skimmers seem way oversized for this application. I’m not super price sensitive but I’m looking for something that works well and is reliable.
sump?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sumped system though at that size a HOB skimmer on the sump might work as well

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sumped system though at that size a HOB skimmer on the sump might work as well
!'ve used a few HOB skimmer and IMO nothing beats an in sump unit. You can get away without a skimmer for a tank that size with just weekly w/c's but i feel they add an extra level of security and needed aeration so i always preferred a skimmer on my smaller set ups.

some of the HOB's i've used "in order" back in the day are;

prizm (yes prizm-lol)
aquaC urchin
reefocto BH100
reefocto BH300
bermuda aquatics Rogue (sucker was a tank)
deltec mce300
deltec mce600
warner marine H2

Of those, the best were the MCE600 and the warner marine H2 (edge to the H2). The aquamaxx HOB 1.5 is a good one if you decide to go that route and they are basically a revamped warner marine design.

if your sump space allows, i would recommend the aquamaxx coneS CO-1 or the aquamaxx FC80. the tunze line (9004 in particular) is also good but i'm not a big fan of the build quality (thin plastic).

Last edited:

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some suggestions:

AquaMaxx ConeS HOB Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus Classic 2000 HOB Protein Skimmer

I have two of the AquaMaxx HOB, and love them !
One on a 55g and a 40g breeder. Get the sponge and their micro-bubble free.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, there is a aquamaxx 1.5 on eBay that im watching but I think in tank is probably a better choice like you said. The two skimmers you listed are recommended for tanks 3-4x my size so I was wondering if that much skimmer is needed or even beneficial.

!'ve used a few HOB skimmer and IMO nothing beats an in sump unit. You can get away without a skimmer for a tank that size with just weekly w/c's but i feel they add an extra level of security and needed aeration so i always preferred a skimmer on my smaller set ups.

some of the HOB's i've used "in order" back in the day are;

prizm (yes prizm-lol)
aquaC urchin
reefocto BH100
reefocto BH300
bermuda aquatics Rogue (sucker was a tank)
deltec mce300
deltec mce600
warner marine H2

Of those, the best were the MCE600 and the warner marine H2 (edge to the H2). The aquamaxx HOB 1.5 is a good one if you decide to go that route and they are basically a revamped warner marine design.

if your sump space allows, i would recommend the aquamaxx coneS CO-1 or the aquamaxx FC80. the tuze line (9004 in particular) is also good but i'm not a big fan of the build quality (thin plastic).

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a coneS CO-1 when they first came out on my 39 with little 10 gal sump and it skimmed like a beast. I created a thread on it a few years back. It wasn't on R2R so i dont want to list the thread but it will skim a 30.

AMs load ranges are overated in my opinion on their smaller skimmers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back