Slate's 125gal build

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been roaming this forum for a good while now but haven't posted much. So now that I am upgrading from my old scratched up 55gallon tank I figure I would post some pictures of my 125gallon tank build. I got this tank from a close friend who purchased it and the stand new years ago and life never worked out for him to set it up. So he decided to sell it to me dirt cheap instead of it sitting in storage and now I am in the process of this slow build.

Here is the tank after we moved it into the house from my buddies garage. It is a standard 6ft long 125 gallon all glass tank with corner overflows.
P1010093.jpg

For lighting I am using this Current Nova Extreme T-5 fixture. I will eventually be building a canopy for this thing to go into since it devastates my wife and I when a fish goes carpet surfing.
SANY1266.jpg

This is the sump I purchased used from a local reefer who practically gave it to me it was so cheap. We had to cut it down a couple inches to make sure I could get the skimmer out of it if something were to ever go wrong. I cut the skimmer section baffle down already and will silicone on a couple braces to make me feel better about long term use. It will hold about 25gallons of water at the level I will be keeping it at.
P1010007.jpg

Here is the skimmer I decided to go with and should really rock on this system. It is a SWC Xtreme-Mini S.
P1010097.jpg

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond the equipment I have acquired I just painted the back of the tank earlier today and will be painting the inside of the stand tomorrow. I will try to get some pictures up in the next few days.

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice start Slate! corner overflows look nice, get some weld on solvent for the braces silicon will not stick

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice start Slate! corner overflows look nice, get some weld on solvent for the braces silicon will not stick

Could you recommend a brand of solvent to use? I haven't even found an aquarium safe silicone yet at the local hardware stores.

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey stranger I know you.. Nice to seee you here too.

Thanks Adam! As you can see I have been a member of the site for a year now but always just read posts. So, I figured I better contribute something instead of being dead weight lol.

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of painting the back of the tank.

Going to get the inside of the stand painted tomorrow or Wed. evening. Next thing I will work on is finding a suitable water container to make a gravity fed ATO that will fit under the stand next to the sump.

SANY1423.jpg

SANY1428.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

Do you have any pic's of the 55g and what you plan on transferring over from it?

Here is a pic from back in July.
SANY1213.jpg

Pretty much everything will be kept from the 55gallon as far as livestock goes(Just getting rid of a couple mushroom anemones I have). Below is a quick list of what is going to be transferred over.

Pair of Percula Clowns
Blue Throat Triggerfish
Fire Shrimp
Tuxedo Urchin
RBTA

LPS:
Green Torch
Purple Torch
Branching hammer - green w/ pink tips
Wall Hammer - pink w/ white tips
Pink Candy Cane
Frogspawn
Couple Chalice frags if they survive

SPS:
Orange Monti Cap
Also healing up an acro my extra RBTA destroyed before I sold it

Zoas:
Whammin Watermelons
Orange Bam Bams
Fire and Ice
Mint Chocolate chips
Reverse Gorilla Niples
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
Pink Wagon Wheels

60-70Ibs Live Rock
Some of the sand

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Upgrade worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I should have mentioned, the Triggerfish was purchased after I purchased the new tank. I got a deal on him I couldn't pass up when Les had his huge sale at Wet Pets Hawaii, and he is plenty happy ruling the 55gallon with two little clowns for the time being.

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the blue throats are my favorite, always wanted to try a group of them but evil hydro put an end to my big tanks lol

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my male. He is so much fun, lets me hand feed him nori sheets and is always checking me out while I am on the computer. It is funny sometime I swear you goes around knocking snails off the front glass because they obstructing his view. I mean it is like a pin point move where he whacks them with the side of mouth.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be glad you did, I loved mine and the only reason I got rid of it was because I tore the tank down. I regret that now.

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be glad you did, I loved mine and the only reason I got rid of it was because I tore the tank down. I regret that now.

Yeah, I have heard nothing but great things about these pumps so I figured spend a little more and get something that will last and save a little energy.

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eheim 1260 return pump came today! I am hoping to hit up a LFS tomorrow and get bulkheads. However, I still need to find an appropriate water container to make an ATO out of that fits under the stand. That way I can see where everything is before I work on plumbing.

SANY1467.jpg

SANY1468.jpg

OP
OP
S

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17" width (probably the real restricting measure) and around 24" + for length I can devote to it. I was thinking about some sort of clean rubbermaid tub if I can find one that will work well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back