Slightly annoyed.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS today, JUST to get live rock. Now- it’s about a 30-40 minute drive to get there and I was planning on getting a big ol’ chunk of rock, showing them my parameters so I could maybe get an estimation on how much longer I should cycle before adding livestock. I also went with my parents, one who has kept large reef tanks before)) I showed him my parameters and he immediately was like “this could be an issue.” My nitrite was BARELY pink this morning when I tested so I felt like putting .1 was a safe measure. I figured I could still add live rock, as it aids in cycling, correct? he said NO and told me I had to add fish and live rock at the same time and wait to add inverts. I’m just confused and PLEASSSSE tell me if I’m wrong but I really wanted to get some rock after driving so dang far.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask this forum instead of the LFS. Why would they require you to show them your parameters to buy liverock? That’s crazy.

Nitrites is not a problem at all. Your tank is cycled once ammonia is undetectable (I use the seachem alert badge). That’s it.

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask this forum instead of the LFS. Why would they require you to show them your parameters to buy liverock? That’s crazy.

Nitrites is not a problem at all. Your tank is cycled once ammonia is undetectable (I use the seachem alert badge). That’s it.
He said all kinds of crap I had never heard before and I have been researching this for MONTHS. I was so mad I drove all that way and left with nothing. Not even a rock. My ammonia and everything else was at a safe level, salinity and SG are GREAT and he said no to me putting a darn rock in there but told me I can add fish by Wednesday…sir…

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the live rock, do not add fish until you’ve verified the tank is cycled.

a few aiptasia in their tanks is fine, if there are tons, I wouldn’t buy any coral/liverock from that system.
There were TONS haha. Some were HUGE and the frags had them all over the plugs they were on. almost told him but he probably would’ve played it off like It was purposeful.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding live rock means that rock is cycled. The only variable is the size of the rock vs the bio load you're imposing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Live rock can be added day one or 101. Live rock is beneficial in both cycling and making environment remain as stable as possible. Its called live rock due to biological capabilities and benefits

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock can be added day one or 101. Live rock is beneficial in both cycling and making environment remain as stable as possible. Its called live rock due to biological capabilities and benefits
The guy said I should add fish and live rock at the same time. Does that make any sense? Will the fish die?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy said I should add fish and live rock at the same time. Does that make any sense? Will the fish die?
If you were adding enough live rock, adding fish at the same time is no issue.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not about to spend an absurd amount of money on fish just for it to die.
It’s likely a small fish or two would survive if you added a couple pounds of live rock (I don’t know what else is in your tank). But it’s still a bit of a risk, I would verify the tank can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours before adding fish.

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely a small fish or two would survive if you added a couple pounds of live rock (I don’t know what else is in your tank). But it’s still a bit of a risk, I would verify the tank can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours before adding fish.
My tank has been cycling 21/2 weeks. It has a small dry live rock in there already, live sand and I added Biospira at the beginning of the cycle. I’ve maintained all the parameters and I’ve been dry feeding. Protein skimmer is running too. (13.5 gallon tank)

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were TONS haha. Some were HUGE and the frags had them all over the plugs they were on. almost told him but he probably would’ve played it off like It was purposeful.
Consider that if he had aiptasia in his tanks that it will probably be present on the live rock too. The same can be said about many other pests... of course there will be a wonderful and beneficial microbiome too. I've never felt comfortable buying live rock. I've heard some amazing success stories as well as some absolute nightmares. Personally, if the LFS is going to have these weird policies then I'd recommend just using dry rock (did you mean dry in your post where you said "dry live rock"? its one or the other, it can't be both live and simultaneously dry). I get mine from Bulk reef supply. If you order this weekend you'll get 15% off. Essentially enough to cover shipping depending on how much you're getting. Dry rock is typically cheaper than live anyway. I think supporting LFS can be great, but only if they are quality.
Hope all this gives you something to consider.

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that if he had aiptasia in his tanks that it will probably be present on the live rock too. The same can be said about many other pests... of course there will be a wonderful and beneficial microbiome too. I've never felt comfortable buying live rock. I've heard some amazing success stories as well as some absolute nightmares. Personally, if the LFS is going to have these weird policies then I'd recommend just using dry rock (did you mean dry in your post where you said "dry live rock"? its one or the other, it can't be both live and simultaneously dry). I get mine from Bulk reef supply. If you order this weekend you'll get 15% off. Essentially enough to cover shipping depending on how much you're getting. Dry rock is typically cheaper than live anyway. I think supporting LFS can be great, but only if they are quality.
Hope all this gives you something to consider.
Yes. I have dry rock in my tank. I may just order rock honestly. don’t feel like dealing with aiptasia *sigh* His fish looked real healthy though.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did he think that was too high or too low? Either way wasnt a reason to refuse to sell live rock

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back