Snowflake eel not eating?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's WAYYYY more active in the DT.

But now my fish are terrified, lol. They used to sleep in a cavern, but now sleep on the side of the tank. I'm guessing this goes away in time?
It MAY go away in time, but you should watch the other fish carefully for signs of ongoing stress. Not everyone is happy about the new neighbor. I lost a couple expensive fish when the eel moved in, because they couldn't relax. One was a Powder Blue Tang!

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It MAY go away in time, but you should watch the other fish carefully for signs of ongoing stress. Not everyone is happy about the new neighbor. I lost a couple expensive fish when the eel moved in, because they couldn't relax. One was a Powder Blue Tang!

Powder Blue is still in QT.... the DT seems settled and happy, though! The fish have nice vibrant colors and eating well!

Jennatonic50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my snowflake do the writhing snake ball 2-3 times when I give it an oversize piece of shrimp. It freaks me out!!!
Looks like one of those snake breeding balls you see on TV, but just one critter involved. Eel used its balled-up body to rip the food as it pulls its head backwards. I'm telling you man, you will NEVER look at an eel that same way after seeing that in person.
Most of the time it prefers to grab, retreat, bang and swallow. Makes perfect sense when you think about eels being dragged out into the open water after snatching a strong swimmer prey. If you have your tail anchored you can't be dragged out, and banging the prey on coral etc. is certain to render your meal motionless.
Mine has done the same and I freaked out. They look like snakes when they do that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back