Soft Coral Food

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I have never fed my soft corals. I would think that goo lighting and great water quality would be the key to fast growth.

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all I have ever done also. I am running T-5s and the water is excellent. I feed with marine cuisine and I know some of the ricordea and musrooms and palys catch stuff from that. Actually soft corals likes the water a little dirty. I have ran without a skimmer for years and tried them for years and had better growth without one.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tried feeding my soft coral tanks back in the early 90's, but always seemed to be battling algae. Once I stopped, and just did water changes, good skimmer, and good lighting, I had good growth and very little algae.
I don't buy the myth that any coral likes dirty water.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a tank covered in Xenia and Kenya Tree that doesn't have any fish so I'm feeding a squirt of RotiFeast every night. I don't wanna see rocks, just soft coral so hopefully it speeds up the process. They close up shortly after feeding so hopefully they are eating it.

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those not feeding the softies, what do you think are the most important elements to add to the tank? It seems my corals even with T5 and good water quality don't spread much. I have green hairy mushrooms, purple mushrooms, various polyps, star polyps and galaxea. Thanks!

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a little clump of green star polyps for 2 years that has never grown at all. It hasn't died, it just hasnt encrusted onto the rock. I started using Pohl's Extra and Coral Vitalizer and in two months it has encrusted on the rock and doubled in size. I have always had a problem with soft coral. I couldn't grow mushrooms, or star polyps or xenia or leathers.....I don't know if it's true or not, but the kid at one of my lfs said high calcium levels will stunt their growth?

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting Connie. I would think good calcium levels would be beneficial to helping them adhere to the rock...Thanks for the info....so besides Coral Vit, i am chiming in with BentonB...would like to know what elements promote the most growth. I use RO/DI water...i have no algae and zero nitrates (i have a refugium and the algae in there seems to keep things nice looking in the tank) i just don't have a lot of growth!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's true or not, but the kid at one of my lfs said high calcium levels will stunt their growth?

"High" calcium levels will stunt any coral growth because the water chemistry is out of whack. Higher end calcium in the acceptable range does not inhibit soft coral growth.

what additives are good to add to your water? any suggestions?

Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium but ONLY when needed. Testing often and replenishing those elements will support coral growth. Soft corals are large element consumers so with water changes you may not ever need to dose anything to your tank. All 3 are plentiful in most salt mixes.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"High" calcium levels will stunt any coral growth because the water chemistry is out of whack. Higher end calcium in the acceptable range does not inhibit soft coral growth.

Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium but ONLY when needed. Testing often and replenishing those elements will support coral growth. Soft corals are large element consumers so with water changes you may not ever need to dose anything to your tank. All 3 are plentiful in most salt mixes.

So Ritter, how can I lower the calcium level in my tank? I tested it yesterday and it was 540. I never add calcium. My mag was at 1400. I just did a water change 4 days ago and I do one biweekly.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ritter, how can I lower the calcium level in my tank? I tested it yesterday and it was 540. I never add calcium. My mag was at 1400. I just did a water change 4 days ago and I do one biweekly.

Using Coralife salt by chance? :) If not then which salt are you using? If you're unhappy with the higher calcium then it may be just as easy as switching to a different salt. If you're not dosing anything then it has to be that high in your salt mix. 540 calcium is high but not detrimental to soft coral growth IMO. What is your alkalinity?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife is known to have inflated calcium numbers. There are many other good salts to use my personal favorite is Reef Crystals but I used Coralife for a long period with no issues.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back