Something Different... d2's FRESHWATER PLANTED build!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
After more than a decade and several successful builds in the Saltwater Reef hobby, I've decided to jump ship :eek: (for a little bit) and try my hand at this planted tank thang. I need something new to learn but still need to have a tank in the house, so I figure let's try something a little different and go green! Isn't that what all the cool kids are doing these days? :p

I took down the reef a few months back. Meanwhile, I set up a little 7g cube that I've been fooling around with to kind of dip my toe in and start familiarizing myself with freshwater planted practices. But it's really just scratching the surface. For the big tank, I'm going all in! Some of you may be thinking, "What gives?! This is a REEF forum. Get out of here with your lame plants." ;Hilarious Well some of you have expressed interest, and some of you have planted tanks of your own or thinking of trying it. So since I need all the help I can get in this little adventure... I'll be cross posting from my build on the planted forums.

Anyway, let's get on with the show, shall we? :)

Here's a quick rundown of some of the basics of this build.

Tank: WaterBox Clear Pro 6025 - 143 gallons (541 Liters)
Lighting: (3) GHL Mitras 7004
Controller: GHL Profilux 4
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 <--- will be implemented later, but I have it from my Reef tank

Those are the current "knowns".

Now to the "unknowns" and "leaning towards" items...

Filtration: Thinking of starting with a Fluval FX6 and possibly adding a second one later if needed. Or maybe Oase 600 filter.
Co2: 10lb tank? And Dual Stage Regulator needed. Suggestions welcome.
Heater: Possibly something in-line? Definitely in line with the Oase since that's a feature.
Water Changes: Leaning towards setting up some sort of Auto Water Change system like I usually do, but will need to move a lot more water.

Fish, Plants and Scape style: Going for more of a nature-scape, Amano type of thing but maybe not so plant heavy. A good amount of hardscape with large branch. I'm not really sure. I think I'm just going to have to feel it out. I'd really like to try Discus. But I know they prefer warmer water which limits plant selection. So I'll be talking with the guys at ADG here in Houston to help figure that out.

It will probably have a pretty asymmetrical setup, partly to help hide equipment in the tank, and partly because the tank is being located close to a corner of the room.

Which brings me to the final part of my first post of this build... the tank location.
The tank will be located on this empty wall, next to the large sliding glass doors, behind the sofa.

i-sMbVSGw-XL.jpg

i-nprbkkV-XL.jpg

i-5VGDPRd-XL.jpg

That's it for now! Comments and suggestions appreciated.
I had reefing down pat, but I'm a newb with planted so we'll see how this goes and hopefully it's not an epic fail!

BTW, lights will be here Monday i think, and the tank supposedly shipped today FedEx freight.
So next week should get more interesting. :D

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some pretty cool planted tanks in the past year or so. Kinda has me interested in doing a setup my self. I did go straight to the salty side after all;)

I'm not sure how much advice I can give, but I'll be following along for sure. Can't wait to see this one come together!

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out on the freshwater side and did the high tech planted for many years, then jumped into reefs. Maybe it was just me, but I never really did any water changes. Didn't really need to. I had a high tech setup recently, but decided to take the CO2 offline. Now it is more of a low tech setup. I use the Hydor inline heater with an Eheim canister filter. Only things visible in the tank are the lily pipes.

The main issue with the high tech setup is maintenance. It requires a lot of maintenance to keep it from looking bad. You get explosive plant growth once things settle in. Then comes the trimming. Small tanks and the trimming isn't too bad, but you have to do it very often. Large tanks and you can spend a very long time trimming and cleaning. Cleaning the lilypipes, the CO2 diffuser, etc. Depending on the plants you will have to eventually pull everything and replant because the old leaves die and you are left with just stems. I actually find the saltwater hobby easier than the high tech freshwater planted.

Oh and don't get me started about algae or the frailty of the fish in freshwater. Black beard algae makes bryopsis look easy.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planted tank???!!! On a reef forum!!?? Blasphemy!!!

Lol jk :D following along, I love me a planted freshwater tank ;)
I had a small one way before my reefing days.
Have you given any consideration to the Kessil Tuna Sun lights? I've seen them over many planted display tanks and they look amazing! Just a suggestion;)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out on the freshwater side and did the high tech planted for many years, then jumped into reefs. Maybe it was just me, but I never really did any water changes. Didn't really need to. I had a high tech setup recently, but decided to take the CO2 offline. Now it is more of a low tech setup. I use the Hydor inline heater with an Eheim canister filter. Only things visible in the tank are the lily pipes.

The main issue with the high tech setup is maintenance. It requires a lot of maintenance to keep it from looking bad. You get explosive plant growth once things settle in. Then comes the trimming. Small tanks and the trimming isn't too bad, but you have to do it very often. Large tanks and you can spend a very long time trimming and cleaning. Cleaning the lilypipes, the CO2 diffuser, etc. Depending on the plants you will have to eventually pull everything and replant because the old leaves die and you are left with just stems. I actually find the saltwater hobby easier than the high tech freshwater planted.

Oh and don't get me started about algae or the frailty of the fish in freshwater. Black beard algae makes bryopsis look easy.

If I go Discus, my plant selection is going to be limited anyway due to higher temps.
My goal would be to find broad leaf, slower growing plants. Easier on the maintenance.

And from what I've read so far, Discus require more water changes.
I'm sure with a lighter bioload, the plants could suck up a lot of the nutrients.
Probably also depends on how much ferts are being dosed.

Planted tank???!!! On a reef forum!!?? Blasphemy!!!

Lol jk :D following along, I love me a planted freshwater tank ;)
I had a small one way before my reefing days.
Have you given any consideration to the Kessil Tuna Sun lights? I've seen them over many planted display tanks and they look amazing! Just a suggestion;)
LOL, i know, right? A mod should delete this catastrophe of a thread before it really goes south. :p

No, I didn't look at the Kessils.
I really liked the build quality and software of the Mitras I had on my office nano reef. I have plenty of experience with Radions to know I'd be happy with those, but ever since the nano, I've really wanted to test out the Mitras on a big tank. :) And you know I'm a GHL fan anyway. ;)

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discus are beautiful. I wanted to try discus, but the water quality requirements kept me away. I went with angels instead. Growing nice broad leaved amazon swords would be beautiful. Will you go for that flooded forest look?

Something like this?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discus are beautiful. I wanted to try discus, but the water quality requirements kept me away. I went with angels instead. Growing nice broad leaved amazon swords would be beautiful. Will you go for that flooded forest look?

Something like this?
so instead you went with a reef tank???? ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you post this here on R2R too. [emoji3] It’s fun to change things up and do something different. A planted tank for me is my stress free tank. Using all the knowledge you have built with saltwater you have an advantage in knowing how to keep a tank.
Will be interesting to see the new GHL lights. My big freshwater tank build will be coming in the fall lots to think about. [emoji3][emoji106]

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So TODAY IS FINALLY NEW TANK DAY!
UPS Freight should be swinging by the house later this afternoon. ;Nailbiting

Dtl51vvXcAI2TXG.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S HERE!!! ;Woot

I've got a vid I'm working on but here's a few pics after I dug into it to make sure it made the trip in one piece.

One thing I've got to say... it's a lot bigger in person than on paper!!! ;Wideyed

i-qzst9Q9-XL.jpg

i-F6x6rHc-XL.jpg

i-6Bv3Psw-XL.jpg

i-FMNMRrs-X2.jpg

i-7jt4CNH-X2.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First vid for the new build! Had a little help with this one. ;Shamefullyembarrased

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a beautiful tank, home, and family! I didn't see any of your thoughts on substrate which will be key if you are going to have a planted tank (maybe I overlooked it?). Thanks for sharing the video!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back