Something very strange

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
So in the beginning of February I broke down my 75 gallon display tank bleached all the live rock except for one that had a mushroom coral attached to it. In preparation for my 125 gallon upgrade. I removed some substrate along with that rock to house long tentacle, my bubble tip Anemones sea urchins. My previous tank had bristle worms but I don’t believe any other pests. Today I found that rock and most of the substrate covered in these little white translucent things that look like tubes or worms with feathers. In my 75 display I never seen or noticed any of those. I’ll attached photos but they’re not the best quality

IMG_2497.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2499.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponges, all part of the maturing process. They pop up and then slowly fade away. It’s a good sign that things are progressing well.
Once these start showing up, soon you will have Sponge Bob moving in!
excited sponge bob GIF
pineapple sponges
Why didn’t I see them when I had my display tank set up? Only recently I’ve seen them plus they’re literally everywhere. No im scared to put that rock in my new sterile display tank

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn’t I see them when I had my display tank set up? Only recently I’ve seen them plus they’re literally everywhere. No im scared to put that rock in my new sterile display tank
Did you have any angel fish in the display? They like to eat sponges and probably kept them in check.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be offensive... But what is this "Sterile" concept come from with todays new reefers? Who thought this is a good idea and from what basis?
Sterile = Failure...
When I clean a powerhead or a frag rack in a bleach solution then citric acid. It comes out looking brand new. The first thing that grows on it is everything you do not want in your tank. GHA, Bryopsis, Bubble Algae, Ulva...
I can't imagine starting a whole tank that way...
Biodiversity is your friend.

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be offensive... But what is this "Sterile" concept come from with todays new reefers? Who thought this is a good idea and from what basis?
Sterile = Failure...
When I clean a powerhead or a frag rack in a bleach solution then citric acid. It comes out looking brand new. The first thing that grows on it is everything you do not want in your tank. GHA, Bryopsis, Bubble Algae, Ulva...
I can't imagine starting a whole tank that way...
Biodiversity is your friend.
What I mean is that I don’t want to add pests into the new tank. My old DT suffered from bristle worms and spaghetti worms. I know algae is inevitable but other pests like worms and what not I’d like to keep out as much as possible

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is that I don’t want to add pests into the new tank. My old DT suffered from bristle worms and spaghetti worms. I know algae is inevitable but other pests like worms and what not I’d like to keep out as much as possible
Suffered from bristle and spaghetti worms? If you want a successful sterile tank you might want to check out fresh water.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
So in the beginning of February I broke down my 75 gallon display tank bleached all the live rock except for one that had a mushroom coral attached to it. In preparation for my 125 gallon upgrade. I removed some substrate along with that rock to house long tentacle, my bubble tip Anemones sea urchins. My previous tank had bristle worms but I don’t believe any other pests. Today I found that rock and most of the substrate covered in these little white translucent things that look like tubes or worms with feathers. In my 75 display I never seen or noticed any of those. I’ll attached photos but they’re not the best quality

IMG_2497.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2499.jpeg
Looks like pineapple sponges to me

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pineapples, they are harmless filter feeders and will go away on their own.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms and spaghettini worms are not pests. I admit that they do creep some people out, but they are far from pests. They are detritivores. They are good CUC.
All that being said, it is your reef tank and you can try to curate it to your liking.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those is a bad thing to have... a healthy tank is gonna have worms.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back