Splurging on new setup

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So like the title says I'm upgrading to a new setup after some deliberating and getting some advice from some of my friends and a few local LFS.

I've realized that although nano tanks are wonderful in their own right, they just aren't what I'm looking for as far as size and what is possible with them goes. I decided that I'm going to be upgrading from my Fluval 13.5 to the Red Sea Max S-650.

I know it's quite a leap but instead of slowly upgrading to slightly bigger tanks and equipment I rather just get what I want right now. I'm going to be having tons of help from a couple local reefer buddies and as well as some help from an LFS in setting it up.

I just wanted to run this by some more people and wanted to see if there was anything I should add to the list before buying everything tomorrow.

The S-650 already comes with its own lights, sump, stand, ATO, and protein skimmer. There's a list below of everything else that I thought I might need:

• (4x) 20lb. Bimini Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand - CaribSea
  • 130 lbs of Dry Live Marco Rock
  • Finnex 800w Titanium Heater with Sensor
  • ReefDose 4
  • (2x) AI Nero 5
  • Apex Controller System
I was told to hold off on UV sterilizers and CO2 scrubbers in the beginning

Let me know what you guys think and thank you!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So like the title says I'm upgrading to a new setup after some deliberating and getting some advice from some of my friends and a few local LFS.

I've realized that although nano tanks are wonderful in their own right, they just aren't what I'm looking for as far as size and what is possible with them goes. I decided that I'm going to be upgrading from my Fluval 13.5 to the Red Sea Max S-650.

I know it's quite a leap but instead of slowly upgrading to slightly bigger tanks and equipment I rather just get what I want right now. I'm going to be having tons of help from a couple local reefer buddies and as well as some help from an LFS in setting it up.

I just wanted to run this by some more people and wanted to see if there was anything I should add to the list before buying everything tomorrow.

The S-650 already comes with its own lights, sump, stand, ATO, and protein skimmer. There's a list below of everything else that I thought I might need:

• (4x) 20lb. Bimini Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand - CaribSea
  • 130 lbs of Dry Live Marco Rock
  • Finnex 800w Titanium Heater with Sensor
  • ReefDose 4
  • (2x) AI Nero 5
  • Apex Controller System
I was told to hold off on UV sterilizers and CO2 scrubbers in the beginning

Let me know what you guys think and thank you!
Go with multiple smaller heaters instead of one big one. Don't feel the need to use every bit of rock you buy. Consider purchasing maricultured LR. The biodiversity of "real" LR can not be overstated. It doesn't have to go into the display at first. The LR can go in the fuge section of the sump until you clear of it unwanted hitchhikers(If necessary). Don't rush the set up of the new tank unless you have to. Most of all, good luck!

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with multiple smaller heaters instead of one big one. Don't feel the need to use every bit of rock you buy. Consider purchasing maricultured LR. The biodiversity of "real" LR can not be overstated. It doesn't have to go into the display at first. The LR can go in the fuge section of the sump until you clear of it unwanted hitchhikers(If necessary). Don't rush the set up of the new tank unless you have to. Most of all, good luck!
This is definitely going to be a slow process. Learned from my mistakes with the nano about rushing things.

Do you know of any places that already have cultured liverock that sell online? My LFS doesn't have any. Only the dry stuff.

I looked on BRS but didn't see anything.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the smaller heaters and going slow 100%

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go used instead of spending that kind of money. I see tanks in the 150-200 gallon range going for $500 to $1000 all the time. And these are good tanks like planet aquarium. You can also try locally for live rock. I see posts all the time on our local facebook pages for live rock that someone is getting rid of after taking their aquarium down.

Just think long and hard that this is the size you want. When I upgraded 25 years ago from a 65gal to 120gal I thought it was going to be great. I was never happy with that size tank. When we moved I got rid of it and bought a 75gal tank. I've had that tank going for over 20 years.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see it on your list but you may already have one. Get a RODI unit.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go used instead of spending that kind of money. I see tanks in the 150-200 gallon range going for $500 to $1000 all the time. And these are good tanks like planet aquarium. You can also try locally for live rock. I see posts all the time on our local facebook pages for live rock that someone is getting rid of after taking their aquarium down.

Just think long and hard that this is the size you want. When I upgraded 25 years ago from a 65gal to 120gal I thought it was going to be great. I was never happy with that size tank. When we moved I got rid of it and bought a 75gal tank. I've had that tank going for over 20 years.
I did consider various sizes but decided on something around the 150ish range for the display. I plan on having most things automated soon after its cycled to make things easier to deal with when it comes to a tank that size.

Cost really isn't an issue and would rather just get something untouched and truly call it my own from day one. I like the simplicity of the MAX S systems and the fact it comes with premium products out of the box.

I'll see if any groups around here have any LR because it seems like that's the way to go.
Didn't see it on your list but you may already have one. Get a RODI unit.
Yeah I have a 7-stage 75 GPD system from BRS. I'm going to be upgrading it to 200 GPD when the kit for it gets here in a few days.

Last edited:

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of heater setup should I go with? 4x 300w?
I'd go with 2 400w if 800w was your goal. The idea is if one sticks on, it won't overheat and if one fails to turn on, the tank won't freeze. Basically it'll give you a chance to intervene. This actually happened to me once, a heater failed but the temp went down slowly as I had a backup.

For the LR, I'd still order maricultured. You've hinted that cost isn't an issue, which is good as it's expensive lol! But there is great value in it. Check out TBsaltwater.com, or really their page on FB or IG as those get updated more regularly. They're under new ownership, old owner is still somewhat involved, and they are on this forum as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back