SPS Dying Tips + Base Recession

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting with SPS problems for quite a while and cant seem to find the source of the issue. I get what appear to be burnt tips and base recession in otherwise colorful and healthy looking SPS.

SG: 1.026
Temp: 78
Alk: 8.6
Mag: 1500
Calc: 450
Nitrates: 5ppm
Phosphates: 0.045ppm (15 on Phosphorus ULR Hanna)

I've been checking my alk twice daily for the last week before making this thread. I have not seen any variance > 0.2dkh in that span of time (8.6+/- 0.2).

I've inspected the sps closely and cannot see any parasites. No debris when I dip them either. I do have an angelfish in the tank (flameback) but have never witnessed him nipping at coral.

Any help is appreciated, I'm running out of ideas!!!

reefer0708

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi. Your water parameters sounds spot-on. I would check all the magnets - make sure no corrosions. Also, if you have a voltage meter, you can check for stray voltage. I have ground probe in my tanks just in case. Best of luck!

1604514925703.png

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. All the pumps are ecotech products so I find it unlikely there is corrosion there, but maybe on a probe holder or something! I'll check.

I have a multimeter and will check voltage to ground, thank you!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are fine so assuming they've stayed smooth it is clearly something(s) else.
How old is the tank and did you start with dead rock?

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 18 months old. It was all dry rock, yes. Seeded with about 2lbs of live rock. (Reefer 250).

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 18 months old. It was all dry rock, yes. Seeded with about 2lbs of live rock. (Reefer 250).

Hmmmm. Every tank is different but your biome should be very close to mature enough to support acropora needs. A diverse set of bacteria and microfauna are necessary. This biome processes nutrients into a consumable form for these corals. Gotta be getting close.

In another vein, how did you dip/acclimate? Was this from LFS or shipped?

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimate then dip with CoralRx.

The corals look great for a few weeks / months then start this process of dying. I move them into my other tank (which does will with acros) and they recover.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimate then dip with CoralRx.

The corals look great for a few weeks / months then start this process of dying. I move them into my other tank (which does will with acros) and they recover.

Maybe swap some rock/media/grunge from the "good" acro tank into this one. That is how I got my (newer) frag system settled down. Before I set it up, I put 3 large Marine Pure blocks in my display sump for a few months.

CoralRx is good but IMO a bit harsh for some acropora. Bayer is super mild, but too difficult to work with. I have since switched to KCl (potassium chloride) for acropora only. 2 tablespoons per gallon; 5-7 minutes. Critters don't just let go. They die within minutes. Five stars.

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have swapped rock quite a bit for various reasons.

I'll give KCI a try, although for what its worth I've never lost an acro in the first week after adding them. It always seems to be delayed a couple weeks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, if a coral is shipped to me, I let it rest for a couple days (in a medium light, LPS tank) before dipping. Just another suggestion to reduce stress on your sticks.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never done an ICP on my reef.
Which one is best for a 50g tank?

Is there a difference...
Size of tank has nothing to do with which company to choose. I think most would agree that ATI and Triton are good choices. I would suggest ATI because they also include a "free" analysis of your RO/DI water and they include a few more parameters that Triton does not include.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back