Stock advice

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 50 gallons system in a 40 gal breeder, chaeto fuge, UV, with skimmer rated at heavy load for 90 gal. Here's my current stock:

DIamond Goby
2 Ocelaris clowns
Yellow halichoris wrasse
Two quarter size one spot foxface (size of two quarters)
Molly Miller Blenny (getting evicted to other system because he is decimating my maxima clams)
Chalk Basslet
Mandarin

Am I good to add one more fish? I currently don't have high nitrate nor are any of my fish particularly aggressive, there is a lot of rockwork so everyone is nice and gathers in the middle to play and whatnot. My maxima clams grow new ridges and are relatively happy if that is any indicator of the quality of the water and lightning, so I don't think there will be any bioload issues. I am just looking for any cool fish recommendations that wont CAUSE a bioload issue haha.

Anyway thanks :cool:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre probably good for another fish, however that foxface will get huge fast. I got mine that size and six months later he is 5 pushing 6 inches, so keep that in mind. What kind pf fish were you thinking?

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre probably good for another fish, however that foxface will get huge fast. I got mine that size and six months later he is 5 pushing 6 inches, so keep that in mind. What kind pf fish were you thinking?
A wrasse would be awesome, but I am unsure if the copepods I am culturing would be able to sustain the mandarin and existing yellow wrasse albeit the latter doesn't eat as many copepods as the mandarin.

Also yeah, he does seem like he'll get big fast, but I think I'll most likely be able to set up my awesome big tank by March so he has plenty of time Im sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've got about 50 gallons system in a 40 gal breeder, chaeto fuge, UV, with skimmer rated at heavy load for 90 gal. Here's my current stock:

DIamond Goby
2 Ocelaris clowns
Yellow halichoris wrasse
Two quarter size one spot foxface (size of two quarters)
Molly Miller Blenny (getting evicted to other system because he is decimating my maxima clams)
Chalk Basslet
Mandarin

Am I good to add one more fish? I currently don't have high nitrate nor are any of my fish particularly aggressive, there is a lot of rockwork so everyone is nice and gathers in the middle to play and whatnot. My maxima clams grow new ridges and are relatively happy if that is any indicator of the quality of the water and lightning, so I don't think there will be any bioload issues. I am just looking for any cool fish recommendations that wont CAUSE a bioload issue haha.

Anyway thanks :cool:
Twin spot blenny (and great algae eater)
Strawberry basslet
Bangaii cardinal (if you can find a healthy one thats eating)

Im not concerned with foxface at that small size

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe pick a single bristletooth tang, yellow tang or a scopas tang?
Would a yellow tang be ok in there short term? I don't want him going insane, I used to have a tiny sailfin tang that was in there before he grew big, and I recently had to move him into a temporary 80-gallon while the big tank is being set up. He is roughly 5 inches at the moment.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twin spot blenny (and great algae eater)
Strawberry basslet
Bangaii cardinal (if you can find a healthy one thats eating)

Im not concerned with foxface at that small size
Do you know if the blenny will bother my maxima clams? My molly miller blenny randomly started going wild on them for no reason, so I am hesitant with blennies. What do you think about another yellow halichoris wrasse or a possum wrasse? Wrasses are definitely something I am interested in, even if they will outgrow the current tank. ( I'll eventually move him to a bigger tank I am setting up similar to foxface)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you know if the blenny will bother my maxima clams? My molly miller blenny randomly started going wild on them for no reason, so I am hesitant with blennies. What do you think about another yellow halichoris wrasse or a possum wrasse? Wrasses are definitely something I am interested in, even if they will outgrow the current tank. ( I'll eventually move him to a bigger tank I am setting up similar to foxface)
Tail spot should not as I had both together but blenny may pick on algae on the shell if any

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow tang be ok in there short term? I don't want him going insane, I used to have a tiny sailfin tang that was in there before he grew big, and I recently had to move him into a temporary 80-gallon while the big tank is being set up. He is roughly 5 inches at the moment.
Yeah especially from biota which is really the only place you can get them at the moment. They come very tiny and cute :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive found my tangs getting too close to clam especially when food particles fall on clams and with a 50g tang, I would not advise with foxface. With rock and decor, you likely have 43 useable gallons

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back