kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm in the process of reviving my old fowlr tank and trying to convert it to a reef tank. I see the general consensus is to now ignore the old "inch per gallon" rule when it comes to stocking the tank, so what is a realistic stock list of forgiving and hardy fish/corals/inverts for my tank? I understand some fish produce more waste than others, but I don't know which ones are dirty and which ones are "cleaner". The only thing I am dead set on is a pair of clowns (of course) and that I only want to keep softies to start with. No LPS or SPS just yet. I'm curious to see your suggestions. :) Below I will attach some photos and run you through my equipment. Sorry the water looks a bit cloudy just did a water change and moved the sand bed a bit.

54 gallon corner tank
55lbs of live rock
~1" sand bed of Carib sea live sand
Two hydor kurrila 425 powerheads
Eshoppes over flow box
Two Kessil A80 lights
Eheim Jager 150w heater
Sump underneath with carbon filter pad and bio balls
Aquamag 700gph return pump
Protein skimmer recommended by LFS (forget the name and brand of it)
100gpd 4 stage RODI unit
IO salt
A8E19648-22F5-44DE-8A4C-DB2999A01DCE.jpeg

3E98F4E2-96E4-4A44-B77E-1D3D6F1130F7.jpeg

8F8D72B4-C601-4C6E-808D-E7906A19F746.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair of clowns is easy, and, truthfully, enjoyable to watch. Most fish don't produce a ton of waste, until to start with Tangs and such. Trust me, I know, as I watch mine dump a load right before I feed them, LOL!!! I guess they are making room to eat. With a 55 gal tank, you may be able to introduce a single Bristletooth tang, but nothing bigger. What are you looking at to add?

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think pick one of the smaller tangs as you single larger fish. Tomini, kole, maybe a small yellow if you have deep pockets. As for other fish, the royal gramma is always a winner, clowns, a wrasse or two. I find Azure Damsels to be a great addition. I have never found them aggressive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back