Sudden discoloration in clownfish. Otherwise acting normally.

CursiveTexas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home tonight and the smaller of my clown pair was looking like this. Could it be brook or velvet? It and all of the other fish in my tank are acting fine.

FA174054-307E-4406-8A43-54B537EFF5BE.jpeg 1828F14C-49A8-4D33-8B3F-344CA8D30038.jpeg 9038F81D-E905-4DDB-8C03-271756CD9CD4.jpeg 6C2A26FE-FF23-40BD-B9F5-D37463E18847.jpeg 9B74C366-1C0B-4B5E-9574-3A04C50FA16E.jpeg 168A24E9-9C1B-4C7B-88C6-EE95B8809D56.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got home tonight and the smaller of my clown pair was looking like this. Could it be brook or velvet? It and all of the other fish in my tank are acting fine.

FA174054-307E-4406-8A43-54B537EFF5BE.jpeg 1828F14C-49A8-4D33-8B3F-344CA8D30038.jpeg 9038F81D-E905-4DDB-8C03-271756CD9CD4.jpeg 6C2A26FE-FF23-40BD-B9F5-D37463E18847.jpeg 9B74C366-1C0B-4B5E-9574-3A04C50FA16E.jpeg 168A24E9-9C1B-4C7B-88C6-EE95B8809D56.jpeg
Clear case of Brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
C

CursiveTexas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear case of Brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Thank you. I was afraid this would be the case. How long do you think I’ve got to get the fish into QT? The most I can do tonight is a freshwater dip, but I can probably get medicine and a 10 gallon QT running by tomorrow night.

Is it safe to assume every other fish in the tank is infected alongside the water? If so how long do I need to fallow the DT? I also have a Pygmy angel and a blue throat fairy wrasse with the clown pair, so I’m a bit uncomfortable with putting that many fish in a 10 gallon QT while my display tank fallows, but I suppose it’s better than letting them die of brook.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do paraguard for the QT since formalin is a bit toxic and I don't recommend it for anyone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. I was afraid this would be the case. How long do you think I’ve got to get the fish into QT? The most I can do tonight is a freshwater dip, but I can probably get medicine and a 10 gallon QT running by tomorrow night.

Is it safe to assume every other fish in the tank is infected alongside the water? If so how long do I need to fallow the DT? I also have a Pygmy angel and a blue throat fairy wrasse with the clown pair, so I’m a bit uncomfortable with putting that many fish in a 10 gallon QT while my display tank fallows, but I suppose it’s better than letting them die of brook.
A 5 minute Freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank will offer temporary relief and buy you some time

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you use Hydroplex or Rally Pro for a dip. They will kill the bugs on them and give relief but still need the other long term treatment. I would act as fast as you can on the clown. He is in very bad shape.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video (You Tube links work well). I see some distinct white spots in the first picture above....

Jay

OP
OP
C

CursiveTexas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video (You Tube links work well). I see some distinct white spots in the first picture above....

Jay
Sure. Here’s a link.

There definitely seems to be some distinct white spots, but the splotchy texture and misshapen gills make me think it’s brook.

I tried to catch him for a freshwater dip last night but stopped after a while as it was noticeably stressing him a lot. Funnily enough he’s still acting fairly normal and eating aggressively as of this morning, but I fear that won’t be the case for long as he is beginning to breath quickly.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I"m going to disagree - it's a clear case of a parasite - with mucus production. It could very well be broolylnella - if could Be Brooklynella with CI - Since others have already answered - I will back off

OP
OP
C

CursiveTexas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m going to disagree - it's a clear case of a parasite - with mucus production. It could very well be broolylnella - if could Be Brooklynella with CI - Since others have already answered - I will back off
Thanks for your input! Any ideas on what type of parasite it could be if that is the case?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Here’s a link.

There definitely seems to be some distinct white spots, but the splotchy texture and misshapen gills make me think it’s brook.

I tried to catch him for a freshwater dip last night but stopped after a while as it was noticeably stressing him a lot. Funnily enough he’s still acting fairly normal and eating aggressively as of this morning, but I fear that won’t be the case for long as he is beginning to breath quickly.

Tough to say for sure, but I can't rule out brook in this case.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back