Sump

Meara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I’m redesigning my sump. I currently have a very traditional sump. You know, filter socks, protein skimmer, refugium, and return. The result of this is a small smelly swamp. Now that I have lived with it for two years I decided that I hate refugiums I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but the micro algae always dies, while at the same time other algae’s thrives everywhere else.

So because I want to keep my nutrients under control I’m looking for lower maintenance alternatives. I was thinking of a roller mat, protein skimmer, algae reactor, and return. And I would love to hear your thoughts. With the equipment that I am considering do I need baffles? If so what order am I looking at?

Thank you

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely get a wide variety of opinions. I loved having my refugium but I’ve heard many other people that seem to have your same problem.

I’m not experienced with a roller mat but I’m sure the manufacturer would have their recommendation for where it’s placed. I would guess that it should be first since it traps large particles. The algae scrubber is basically a refugium on steroids. I’d put it after the roller mat since it will need nutrients to grow. Then the skimmer can grab what’s left.

Honestly, that seems like overkill to me but if I was to incorporate all those items that’s how I’d do it and why.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back